All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

Video of Williams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx2nFtcJ49w

Looks athletic, quick. Finishes strong, solid looking shot. Lot's of clips of nice passes. What's not to like here? I get that videos are the best of the best for a kid- but it is easy to see the ability here.

I agree that the change in assistant coaches is the biggest factor in what we are seeing this year, although I think it was much needed and the down the road payoff will be worth the temporary setback. Early signing is all about the relationships. I also agree that all this "hot seat" guessing is also a large problem. I don't understand why people continually discuss this with no real inside information, it does nothing but give more and more ammo to other schools competing for our recruits. If you are a Gopher fan just stop that speculation it damages the team and really the discussion doesn't provide you any true value, unless you just want to tank the program.

+1 If a person wants to complain about Pitino (which is what the negative posts are) open another thread. When a kid commits for 4 years to our Gophers- welcome the kid in his thread and complain elsewhere. I hope Williams has great success here!

The last recruiting battle Pitino won for an out of state high school player was for Isaiah Washington. We're not losing to Duke and Kentucky either. We're losing to Virginia Tech, Georgia, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, Texas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, even lost out to Houston and Princeton for two guard targets in '18. Nothing wrong with losing any of these battles in a vacuum, but when you lose all of them it's time to be be concerned.

Unbelievable that you are using Pitino’s excellent (and local for all you homers!) 2018 class as evidence for his lack of recruiting ability. I don’t even really have a problem with your concern about this class, but you are doing everything you can to see things negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of one's opinion of Tre, BarnBurner's point above about the addition of the Athletes Village is what has surprised me the most about our recruiting in this class. We've been told for so long that our facilities have been a limiting factor in recruiting and while I realize that our new facilities only gets us in the "neighborhood", we certainly aren't seeing an uptick or even staying at the same level in recruiting. EG#9 has pointed out a number of out of state kids who are choosing schools at the same level as us, but the in-state kids aren't coming here either in this class. Obviously Zeke eliminated us early (and he's not just looking at blue bloods - he has Purdue and Baylor as finalists), Tyler Wahl committed to wisconsin, Roddy obviously picked CSU (I'm not sure if this is a loss or not, but point stands that he apparently had a committable offer here and didn't take it), etc.

I hope Tre works out and I hope we have a strong spring class, but I was also hoping the facilities would help us maintain if not improve our recruiting.

Go Gophers!!

We just had a terrible season. If we have a good season this year like we should, then I expect an uptick in recruiting.

one thing loss in the conversation is that Tre's mom is a Gopher alum. As someone who's not that big fan of the signing, that is appealing.

Utah Forward Tre' Williams commits to the Gophers

Boo-hoo. If you don't want the scrutiny that comes with free education, housing, and food at a major world-class university - find something else to do.

Go ahead and scrutinize his actual play next year all you want, but making up crap about someone you know nothing about is crap.

We know you guys have a chip on your shoulder for Pitino. Go back to doing your dance routines on fortnight and come back when you actually have something meaningful to say.

Last edited:

Go ahead and scrutinize his actual play next year all you want, but making up crap about someone you know nothing about is crap.

We know you guys have a chip on your shoulder for Pitino. Go back to doing your dance routines on fortnight and come back when you actually have something meaningful to say.

I've never played Fortnite (the actual spelling) in my life. And even if I had - so what? What an asinine and pathetic attempt at an insult.

And of course, you don't see the irony in lecturing someone on "making up crap about someone you know nothing about" in one sentence, and then making up crap about someone you know nothing about (me) in the very next.

I've never played Fortnite (the actual spelling) in my life. And even if I had - so what? What an asinine and pathetic attempt at an insult.

And of course, you don't see the irony in lecturing someone on "making up crap about someone you know nothing about" in one sentence, and then making up crap about someone you know nothing about (me) in the very next.

Let me sum up your response: no I didn’t, you did....

the crap I made up was just a joke about a GH poster (weak as it may have been), you are making up crap about the abilities of a future Gopher player that is working his arse off and never did anything to you. A slightly different quantum state.

Let me sum up your response: no I didn’t, you did....

the crap I made up was just a joke about a GH poster (weak as it may have been), you are making up crap about the abilities of a future Gopher player that is working his arse off and never did anything to you. A slightly different quantum state.

Please point out anywhere in this thread where I made any comment whatsoever on the future Gopher player's abilities. I'll be waiting.

I find the fact that other schools have signed kids in this range interesting, but how many have ONLY signed a kid in this range and how many of those kids in this range didn't appear to have any other high major offers?

I think we need to see how the rest of the recruiting class goes. Still a ways to go.

EG#9's quote nails down why there is concern but I think GophersInIowa statement puts it in context, with four openings you can afford a reach but if the whole recruiting class ends up this way you are more likely than not to be battling to stay off the bottom of the Big Ten somewhere down the line. Depth has proven to be a problem with Pitino which makes this class so important.

EG#9's quote nails down why there is concern but I think GophersInIowa statement puts it in context, with four openings you can afford a reach but if the whole recruiting class ends up this way you are more likely than not to be battling to stay off the bottom of the Big Ten somewhere down the line. Depth has proven to be a problem with Pitino which makes this class so important.

Correct, the concerns are fine, but a reach is fine if that's what Tre is. I think Tre seems to be a solid athlete, student, and hopefully will be a great teammate. That's what we need next year. We don't enough playing time to offer room for 4 high level freshman, plus Carr, and Willis to play. Lets see what the rest of the winter and spring brings. There are a lot of talented kids, future coaching changes, and grad transfers around to still be a fine class. Let our new staff get acquainted and let this season happen first. Also 2020 is loaded and banking a scholly if not two isn't a bad idea.

Welcome aboard Tre!!

Please point out anywhere in this thread where I made any comment whatsoever on the future Gopher player's abilities. I'll be waiting.

You are right, you didn’t attack his abilities, sorry I lumped you in with the others in my answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 If a person wants to complain about Pitino (which is what the negative posts are) open another thread. When a kid commits for 4 years to our Gophers- welcome the kid in his thread and complain elsewhere. I hope Williams has great success here!

x2

winner, winner, chicken dinner...

What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

Well, I guess if that's the only recruit Pitino gets this year, that will be a problem. Texas Tech was mentioned earlier in this thread. That's interesting because 2017 Texas Tech recruit Zhaire Smith had a similar size to this kid and was unranked by ESPN and Rivals and ranked 196th as the #40 SF by 247. Smith ended up as the 16th pick of the 2018 draft after his freshman year. I'm not going to make a judgement on how good he is yet.

Well, I guess if that's the only recruit Pitino gets this year, that will be a problem. Texas Tech was mentioned earlier in this thread. That's interesting because 2017 Texas Tech recruit Zhaire Smith had a similar size to this kid and was unranked by ESPN and Rivals and ranked 196th as the #40 SF by 247. Smith ended up as the 16th pick of the 2018 draft after his freshman year. I'm not going to make a judgement on how good he is yet.

But you just did by randomly comparing him to Smith.

Laughable how many "fans" are in here ripping a kid/Pitino that has committed to represent our team the next 4 years. Why are we caring about recruiting rankings? They aren't a guarantee of anything.

It's not like every single player that signs can be a 4 year starter.

But you just did by randomly comparing him to Smith.

Wow, you really misread that! The point was that lightly regarded players can sometimes be quite good. I made no comparisons between Williams and Zhaire Smith because I know nothing about Williams. Since I know nothing about him, I'll keep on open mind because sometimes under the radar players can be quite good.

Well said bga

Wow, you really misread that! The point was that lightly regarded players can sometimes be quite good. I made no comparisons between Williams and Zhaire Smith because I know nothing about Williams. Since I know nothing about him, I'll keep on open mind because sometimes under the radar players can be quite good.

I may be in the minority but i expect him to be good. I have seen him twice and like his intangibles.

Great to hear. Would you expand on what you saw for the rest of us?

Plays with a great court sense. Great reaction time, strong. Could guard 3 positions, unselfish. Hard worker and a innate preprioception. Quick second jump, willing to get in that low wide stance required of good defense. This one has Jeter written all over it.

Plays with a great court sense. Great reaction time, strong. Could guard 3 positions, unselfish. Hard worker and a innate preprioception. Quick second jump, willing to get in that low wide stance required of good defense. This one has Jeter written all over it.

Thanks!

As a comparison, wasn’t iw rated mid 60’s and Gabe rated around 200?

Thus far it appears quite different.

Why did you use Zhaire Smith as an example instead of Josh Martin or Bakary Konate?

Top Bottom