All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

Thank you for a thoughtful response based off reasoning and not emotion triggered from a recruitment website.

You get ripped a lot on this board for your open respect of Bennett and Gaard, but the bottom line is they build their program with these type of kids, high character and plus defenders. Am I ready to crown Tre as a 1st team all defense just yet? No, but let's give the kid a chance. To me, he strikes me as a recruit with a fairly high floor due to his motor and character. If he ends up having a higher ceiling than the recruiting "experts " seem to think, he will be a very solid get and an important piece in this program.

Thank you. I can take the bashing. I am in my late 70's and have been in and around the game for well over 6 decades. They are usually just personal insults from people that just want maroon and gold. Thats fine, if that is their offering of basketball insight then so be it. I am offering a take of how really fine programs have been built from the ground up and am not shy about pointing out hits and misses of every program. I have seen loads of guys ranked below 150 that have been winning Big 10 titles, multiple ACC titles, Big East titles, go to final 4's, have huge NBA careers. They have done it with classes ranked in the 40-60 range by finding team players of high character, fundamentals and defense that generally stay 4-5 years. There is not another way to compete as a non blue blood because you can not out recruit them . However you can out intangible them with experience, execution and development. When you try and out offense them you can have a Loyola Marymount level of success but it is not sustainable. You must have a top 30 Kenpom defensive DE every year and a top 40 offense OE if you want to win conference titles. The tourney is a crapshoot but getting there every year gives you a chance. This staff and roster is not set up for this year and adding a versatile defender that has high character builds forward.

This is SO, SO Minnesotaaa, LOL.

Hang in there frozen colleagues of the north. The sun will shine again. Maybe even this season.

It’s “SO, SO Minnesotaaa” to think recruiting for the fall may have been tough based on questions surrounding Pitino’s potential job status?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm usually really positive about the Gophers and love Pitino, but I am not thrilled about this recruiting class. Pitino has hit on a lot of good players: Murphy, Mason, McBrayer... These were guys who were not guaranteed products, but have proven to be some of the better players in the Big 10... At the same time, the Gophers swung and miss at 3 players who ended up transferring: Josh Martin, Gilbert and Jamir Harris (there were other misses, but they weren't level-of-play related). I would bet that Williams will transfer rather than him becoming a contributor on a strong Big 10 team....

Thank you. I can take the bashing. I am in my late 70's and have been in and around the game for well over 6 decades. They are usually just personal insults from people that just want maroon and gold. Thats fine, if that is their offering of basketball insight then so be it. I am offering a take of how really fine programs have been built from the ground up and am not shy about pointing out hits and misses of every program. I have seen loads of guys ranked below 150 that have been winning Big 10 titles, multiple ACC titles, Big East titles, go to final 4's, have huge NBA careers. They have done it with classes ranked in the 40-60 range by finding team players of high character, fundamentals and defense that generally stay 4-5 years. There is not another way to compete as a non blue blood because you can not out recruit them . However you can out intangible them with experience, execution and development. When you try and out offense them you can have a Loyola Marymount level of success but it is not sustainable. You must have a top 30 Kenpom defensive DE every year and a top 40 offense OE if you want to win conference titles. The tourney is a crapshoot but getting there every year gives you a chance. This staff and roster is not set up for this year and adding a versatile defender that has high character builds forward.

I'm impressed you know how to use a computer :)

Utah Forward Tre' Williams commits to the Gophers

With “fans” like these who needs sconny or Iowa trolls?

Gabe is a good example of a dedicated, hard working defense player that didn’t get a lot of national ranking praise. He is going to be a major foundation to this team for years. Many successful teams have been built around good sound basketball players. Pardon if I am insulting the infinite wisdom of the GH recruiting experts, but I am going with the judgement of Pitino and his coaches on what Tre brings to the team.

Before you make an idiot of yourself, at least look at a few of his highlight tapes. He looks to be a good player. Welcome aboard Tre.

That's it, I'm calling up Tre Williams right now and telling him he needs to quit basketball because he's not a 4 or 5 star recruit. Gopherhole has spoken. In fact, I'm gonna call up Rick Barnes and tell him his #5 ranked Tennessee team needs to forfeit the rest of the season because they dont have a single top 100 recruit on that team. It's been decided on this board that you can never contribute to a college basketball team if you aren't recruited by Duke or Kentucky.

The wit displayed on this board is truly impressive.

I admit I haven't seen him play. His height worries me... His lack of shooting worries me.. People make a big deal about grades, but honestly I don't put much on that either. Jamir Harris was a good student. When coaches/fans start bringing up grades, it makes me think they are changing the conversation from basketball...

Is he a good defensive player? Could he be what Josh Okogie has been for the Wolves? I could see reserving a roster spot for someone who's a lockdown defender... But I have seen no evidence that that's what Williams is.

Regardless, I am happy for him. Some people on here are getting mad at posters for not loving this signing, almost as if they worry Williams will read the board and see some negativity. The dude just got a scholarship from a Big 10 school in basketball, in my opinion, one of the best programs in the country... Williams should realize, like right now, that expectations are high and that him choosing the Gophers is a two-way proposition. He needs to live up to his end of the bargain

I admit I haven't seen him play. His height worries me... His lack of shooting worries me.. People make a big deal about grades, but honestly I don't put much on that either. Jamir Harris was a good student. When coaches/fans start bringing up grades, it makes me think they are changing the conversation from basketball...

Is he a good defensive player? Could he be what Josh Okogie has been for the Wolves? I could see reserving a roster spot for someone who's a lockdown defender... But I have seen no evidence that that's what Williams is.

Regardless, I am happy for him. Some people on here are getting mad at posters for not loving this signing, almost as if they worry Williams will read the board and see some negativity. The dude just got a scholarship from a Big 10 school in basketball, in my opinion, one of the best programs in the country... Williams should realize, like right now, that expectations are high and that him choosing the Gophers is a two-way proposition. He needs to live up to his end of the bargain

You haven't seen him play. Yet you're worried about his height (even though he can play SG and is listed at 6'5"); you're worried about his shooting (based presumably on his EYBL percentage which is literally a sample size of 30 attempts); you "see no evidence" to be excited about his defense (based presumably on....literally nothing)?

Hilarious.

You haven't seen him play. Yet you're worried about his height (even though he can play SG and is listed at 6'5"); you're worried about his shooting (based presumably on his EYBL percentage which is literally a sample size of 30 attempts); you "see no evidence" to be excited about his defense (based presumably on....literally nothing)?

Hilarious.
+1 Great answer!

Hilarious.

He's listed at 6'4 on most sites... Yes, that EYBL sample worries me. And it sounds as if his best attribute is his defense, but I see no evidence that he is a lockdown defender, or that he will develop into a Big 10 all-defensive player. If there was evidence, he wouldn't be ranked where he's ranked on the national recruiting sites....

I'll gladly eat crow if he proves to be a good player. But I wouldn't bet on it

Well stated. Hope you're prepared to be attacked by a few posters for your logical take.

He looked great on his highlight video! Dont think he ever missed. Haha

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He's listed at 6'4 on most sites... Yes, that EYBL sample worries me. And it sounds as if his best attribute is his defense, but I see no evidence that he is a lockdown defender, or that he will develop into a Big 10 all-defensive player. If there was evidence, he wouldn't be ranked where he's ranked on the national recruiting sites....

I'll gladly eat crow if he proves to be a good player. But I wouldn't bet on it

You and so many other “experts” feel it is so insightful to attack a new recruit based upon some ranking that you don’t think is worthy! I am sure glad that the coaches didn’t listen to you guys about our linebackers, or some of Pitino’s other recruits. And I know for a fact that none of you, NONE OF YOU, will have the gonads to post an apology when you are wrong! I know because several other have never done it and you won’t either.

It is one thing to think a player needs more work, but to just flat out slam a kid that you don’t even know is juvenile.

You and so many other “experts” feel it is so insightful to attack a new recruit based upon some ranking that you don’t think is worthy! I am sure glad that the coaches didn’t listen to you guys about our linebackers, or some of Pitino’s other recruits. And I know for a fact that none of you, NONE OF YOU, will have the gonads to post an apology when you are wrong! I know because several other have never done it and you won’t either.

It is one thing to think a player needs more work, but to just flat out slam a kid that you don’t even know is juvenile.

You can't afford to many mistakes in basketball, you've only got 13 chances, in football you have 85, a miss there isn't as bad, we've had to many recently in basketball, in my mind this one is a question mark

You can't afford to many mistakes in basketball, you've only got 13 chances, in football you have 85, a miss there isn't as bad, we've had to many recently in basketball, in my mind this one is a question mark
Is he equal to Michael Hurt? If so, then he has a chance to help us. There are intangibles that come with any player the Gophers ink.

I want to respond to a few takes in this thread. First, if I viewed the thread as "an opportunity to welcome the young man to the University", I never would have posted my take in the thread. Second, my post was intended to criticize Pitino for his recruiting which is pretty clear to me but I guess was not clear to some who read it which I am at least partially responsible for.

Someone mentioned Dusty Rychart in this thread. Dusty started as a walk-on. I've followed recruiting closely for close to two decades now and I can't think of the last high school recruit the Gophers signed with this profile (in terms of ranking AND offers) that turned out to be a successful player. If a poster just wanted to say that every kid that appeared to be a reach "sucked" (which I clearly did not say), they would be batting awfully close to 1,000 over a long, long period of time. In recent times, Pitino has missed badly on players with this type of profile and his best players have consistently been recruits with good offers or transfers who had already proved themselves. That doesn't mean this kid won't work out, I hope he does.

Someone mentioned Gabe Kalscheur in this thread. Gabe had an offer from the Gophers for well over a year, was a frequent guest of the Gophers going back to at least his Sophomore year. Gabe had an offer from Pittsburgh and possibly others. This recruit was not offered by the Gophers until less than a week before the signing period opened after they missed on dozens of recruits.

I find the fact that other schools have signed kids in this range interesting, but how many have ONLY signed a kid in this range and how many of those kids in this range didn't appear to have any other high major offers? Luke Anderson for Iowa State as an example had a Gopher offer and a few other high major offers as well.

This has been the worst recruiting period I can remember for any coach in my nearly two decades of following Gopher recruiting. Many of our plan A guys dropped us when they set a list of visits (Zeke, Rocket Watts, DJ Carton, etc). A bunch of plan B guys either never made it to campus or chose to go elsewhere (Austin Crowley, Jared Jones, Tyrell Jones etc) then you had a ton of guys who came to campus and left without committing or cancelled their visits (Kobe Brown, Toumani Camara, Yavuz Gultekin, Gerald Droomgoole, etc) finally you got down to going after Dereon Seabron, Sardaar Calhoun and for different reasons don't have either of them either. You can actually go back to the '18 class and list an incredible number of misses when we were trying to add a guard to the Daniel/Jarvis/Gabe trio as well. The last recruiting battle Pitino won for an out of state high school player was for Isaiah Washington. We're not losing to Duke and Kentucky either. We're losing to Virginia Tech, Georgia, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, Texas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, even lost out to Houston and Princeton for two guard targets in '18. Nothing wrong with losing any of these battles in a vacuum, but when you lose all of them it's time to be be concerned.

I agree EG.

I really like Pitino and at the same time this year's recruiting is cause for concern. How can the U miss on the "higher profile" kids so often? With the addition of the Athletes Village and all the pluses that come with it, what are the remaining issues?

In my mind, Pitino has to win big this year to have someone "real" to sell.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I agree EG.

I really like Pitino and at the same time this year's recruiting is cause for concern. How can the U miss on the "higher profile" kids so often? With the addition of the Athletes Village and all the pluses that come with it, what are the remaining issues?

In my mind, Pitino has to win big this year to have someone "real" to sell.

Regardless of one's opinion of Tre, BarnBurner's point above about the addition of the Athletes Village is what has surprised me the most about our recruiting in this class. We've been told for so long that our facilities have been a limiting factor in recruiting and while I realize that our new facilities only gets us in the "neighborhood", we certainly aren't seeing an uptick or even staying at the same level in recruiting. EG#9 has pointed out a number of out of state kids who are choosing schools at the same level as us, but the in-state kids aren't coming here either in this class. Obviously Zeke eliminated us early (and he's not just looking at blue bloods - he has Purdue and Baylor as finalists), Tyler Wahl committed to wisconsin, Roddy obviously picked CSU (I'm not sure if this is a loss or not, but point stands that he apparently had a committable offer here and didn't take it), etc.

I hope Tre works out and I hope we have a strong spring class, but I was also hoping the facilities would help us maintain if not improve our recruiting.

Go Gophers!!

I want to respond to a few takes in this thread. First, if I viewed the thread as "an opportunity to welcome the young man to the University", I never would have posted my take in the thread. Second, my post was intended to criticize Pitino for his recruiting which is pretty clear to me but I guess was not clear to some who read it which I am at least partially responsible for.

Someone mentioned Dusty Rychart in this thread. Dusty started as a walk-on. I've followed recruiting closely for close to two decades now and I can't think of the last high school recruit the Gophers signed with this profile (in terms of ranking AND offers) that turned out to be a successful player. If a poster just wanted to say that every kid that appeared to be a reach "sucked" (which I clearly did not say), they would be batting awfully close to 1,000 over a long, long period of time. In recent times, Pitino has missed badly on players with this type of profile and his best players have consistently been recruits with good offers or transfers who had already proved themselves. That doesn't mean this kid won't work out, I hope he does.

Someone mentioned Gabe Kalscheur in this thread. Gabe had an offer from the Gophers for well over a year, was a frequent guest of the Gophers going back to at least his Sophomore year. Gabe had an offer from Pittsburgh and possibly others. This recruit was not offered by the Gophers until less than a week before the signing period opened after they missed on dozens of recruits.

I find the fact that other schools have signed kids in this range interesting, but how many have ONLY signed a kid in this range and how many of those kids in this range didn't appear to have any other high major offers? Luke Anderson for Iowa State as an example had a Gopher offer and a few other high major offers as well.

This has been the worst recruiting period I can remember for any coach in my nearly two decades of following Gopher recruiting. Many of our plan A guys dropped us when they set a list of visits (Zeke, Rocket Watts, DJ Carton, etc). A bunch of plan B guys either never made it to campus or chose to go elsewhere (Austin Crowley, Jared Jones, Tyrell Jones etc) then you had a ton of guys who came to campus and left without committing or cancelled their visits (Kobe Brown, Toumani Camara, Yavuz Gultekin, Gerald Droomgoole, etc) finally you got down to going after Dereon Seabron, Sardaar Calhoun and for different reasons don't have either of them either. You can actually go back to the '18 class and list an incredible number of misses when we were trying to add a guard to the Daniel/Jarvis/Gabe trio as well. The last recruiting battle Pitino won for an out of state high school player was for Isaiah Washington. We're not losing to Duke and Kentucky either. We're losing to Virginia Tech, Georgia, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, Texas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, even lost out to Houston and Princeton for two guard targets in '18. Nothing wrong with losing any of these battles in a vacuum, but when you lose all of them it's time to be be concerned.

All valid points, but You are not addressing the “why?” In all this. My theory: The recent “sex scandals” and poor on-court results have been used by opposing coaches heavily and successfully as negative recruiting. In addition, the constant references on this board (and recently nationally as well) to Pitino’s job being in the “hot seat” category is likely being used extensively against him. Is that hard to believe? I think not.

I believe that last year was the real killer for us with recruiting, and I look back to the Miami game when it all started to unravel. If the season had turned out differently, I don’t believe we would be facing this recruiting problem today. Kids these days are attracted to the next “shiny thing”. Unfortunately, our shine was seriously tarnished.

When the top-rated kids are making tough decisions between often 10 or more different major schools, don’t you think these negative points brought up by other school’s recruiters about the U of M aren’t affective? I think they are the main reason why we are seeing what we are seeing.

Thus, I believe that success this season in the court (and national accolades that would come along with it) is absolutely necessary to get the recruiting train back on track. I will end by saying I don’t blame Pitino for all of the adversity we have experienced. Some of it, yes, but much of it was bad luck and stupid choices by players. In fact, given all the crap out there, I would say Coach did an amazing job selling the U of M to Oturu, Omersa and Kalscheur. Now, we desperately need to win to get back on track for 2020 recruiting. The 2019 class might have to be smaller, and filled by more recruits like Tre.

I find the fact that other schools have signed kids in this range interesting, but how many have ONLY signed a kid in this range and how many of those kids in this range didn't appear to have any other high major offers?
I think we need to see how the rest of the recruiting class goes. Still a ways to go.

Bottom line: We had a bad year last year and Pitino is on the hot seat. That's not attractive to top 100 guys. Then to add to the difficult sell- we have a solid, young, core roster that doesn't offer a ton of playing time to players ranked in the range of 100-250. We need to have a good to great year and hope for Hurt, and a Juco or transfer in the spring. If Hurt signs the class is a success no matter what else happens. I am happy a solid hard working kid like Tre came on board.

Here's the official press release from the Gophers:

Gophers Sign Tre' Williams to NLI
University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of Marvin "Tre'" Williams III to the Gophers. Williams, a 6-5 guard from Dallas, Texas who is currently enrolled at Wasatch Academy (Utah), signed his National Letter of Intent to join the team beginning in 2019.

"We are excited to announce the signing of Tre' Williams," said Pitino. "He is a terrific basketball player and an exceptional athlete. He's versatile, multipositional, and fits in our system perfectly. In addition to all that, he is a terrific student. He will be a valuable member of our program from day one."

Williams, who is rated a three-star prospect, is in his second season at Wasatch after two years of high school in Texas. Last season, Williams averaged 12.5 points per game, third highest on the Tigers' roster, after appearing in 26 games and also totaling 36 3-pointers. He was invited to the 2017 Nike Top 100 Camp as well as attending the 2018 Pangos All-American Camp in Norwalk, Calif. During his freshman season at Prestonwood Christian Academy, he was part of the TAPPS 5A Boys Basketball State Championship squad.

His work in the classroom has earned him a 4.11 grade point average, and he was awarded Wasatch's Headmaster Scholarship last May for academics.

Williams comes from an athletic family. His father, Marvin Jr., played basketball at Princeton from 1988-90 and his older sister, Jade Williams, is a sophomore at Duke where she plays basketball. His mother, Kelly, is a St. Paul native who played basketball at Harding High School and attended the U.

The Gophers return to action on Sunday, traveling to the Vancouver Showcase in British Columbia to take on Texas A&M at 9:30 p.m. CT.

I can see your points, but it isn’t really fair to take it out on a recruit. Just think if you have been working your butt off your whole life to play D1 basketball. You get some interest and then a B1G school swoops in and asks you to visit. You are blown away by the school, players, coaches and commit on the spot. You start checking out a little more about the school/fanbase and find a thread about YOU. You check it out and find a couple of dickheads complaining about how bad of a player you are and that you were not worthy of getting a scholarship. I hope that doesn’t make you hate the fans, but that it inspires you to become an all B1G player!

You guys have also forgotten that Pitino changed both of his assistant coaches that have been responsible for developing the player contacts. That most likely put us behind on recruiting this year and brings in some players that the fanbase hasn’t been following. The spring recruiting will be good after the season and all will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the official press release from the Gophers:

Gophers Sign Tre' Williams to NLI
University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of Marvin "Tre'" Williams III to the Gophers. Williams, a 6-5 guard from Dallas, Texas who is currently enrolled at Wasatch Academy (Utah), signed his National Letter of Intent to join the team beginning in 2019.

"We are excited to announce the signing of Tre' Williams," said Pitino. "He is a terrific basketball player and an exceptional athlete. He's versatile, multipositional, and fits in our system perfectly. In addition to all that, he is a terrific student. He will be a valuable member of our program from day one."

Williams, who is rated a three-star prospect, is in his second season at Wasatch after two years of high school in Texas. Last season, Williams averaged 12.5 points per game, third highest on the Tigers' roster, after appearing in 26 games and also totaling 36 3-pointers. He was invited to the 2017 Nike Top 100 Camp as well as attending the 2018 Pangos All-American Camp in Norwalk, Calif. During his freshman season at Prestonwood Christian Academy, he was part of the TAPPS 5A Boys Basketball State Championship squad.

His work in the classroom has earned him a 4.11 grade point average, and he was awarded Wasatch's Headmaster Scholarship last May for academics.

Williams comes from an athletic family. His father, Marvin Jr., played basketball at Princeton from 1988-90 and his older sister, Jade Williams, is a sophomore at Duke where she plays basketball. His mother, Kelly, is a St. Paul native who played basketball at Harding High School and attended the U.

The Gophers return to action on Sunday, traveling to the Vancouver Showcase in British Columbia to take on Texas A&M at 9:30 p.m. CT.
Thanks Gopher Lady. Tre's Mom is a Gopher Alum. There's the connection. I'm liking Tre more and more. Looks like he'll bring his lunch pail and get to work. Very good.

You guys have also forgotten that Pitino changed both of his assistant coaches that have been responsible for developing the player contacts. That most likely put us behind on recruiting this year and brings in some players that the fanbase hasn’t been following. The spring recruiting will be good after the season and all will be forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that the change in assistant coaches is the biggest factor in what we are seeing this year, although I think it was much needed and the down the road payoff will be worth the temporary setback. Early signing is all about the relationships. I also agree that all this "hot seat" guessing is also a large problem. I don't understand why people continually discuss this with no real inside information, it does nothing but give more and more ammo to other schools competing for our recruits. If you are a Gopher fan just stop that speculation it damages the team and really the discussion doesn't provide you any true value, unless you just want to tank the program.

I can see your points, but it isn’t really fair to take it out on a recruit. Just think if you have been working your butt off your whole life to play D1 basketball. You get some interest and then a B1G school swoops in and asks you to visit. You are blown away by the school, players, coaches and commit on the spot. You start checking out a little more about the school/fanbase and find a thread about YOU. You check it out and find a couple of dickheads complaining about how bad of a player you are and that you were not worthy of getting a scholarship. I hope that doesn’t make you hate the fans, but that it inspires you to become an all B1G player!

Boo-hoo. If you don't want the scrutiny that comes with free education, housing, and food at a major world-class university - find something else to do.

Top Bottom