All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from 6-foot-4 forward Tre' Williams. Williams is originally from The Colony, TX, but is now at a prep school in Utah. He recently visited Minnesota and was impressed with the program. He is a three-star forward, according to 24/7 Sports. Williams had offers from Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Pepperdine and others.

The Gophers picked up this commitment after Sunrise Christian Academy forward Tray Jackson de-committed in October.

Great news! Happy to hear that you have committed to the Gophers!

Excellent! Welcome aboard Tre!

The Gophers have received a commitment from 6-foot-4 forward Tre' Williams. Williams is originally from The Colony, TX, but is now at a prep school in Utah. He recently visited Minnesota and was impressed with the program. He is a three-star forward, according to 24/7 Sports. Williams had offers from Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Pepperdine and others.

The Gophers picked up this commitment after Sunrise Christian Academy forward Tray Jackson de-committed in October.

An ACC and Big 12 offer. Nothing to sneeze at. Happy to have him!

I hear that he is described as a skilled but hard nosed player and defensive stopper... Can't have enough of those.

Rated 342 nationally ...

Yeah... he is actually Pitino's lowest-ranked recruit since Ghaston. Although I will say that his tape looks good, he has other P5 offers, he is a very intelligent young man and his strengths are as a defensive stopper and I really trust Jeter is his evaluation of defensive talent.

Time will tell whether this is a reach or hidden gem that the staff feels they can get a lot out of. I choose to take the optimistic approach that the staff is not reaching because they have had other opportunities to take a reach player and decided not to, I think they beleive this kid at the very minimum will be a force on defense, if he develops some offense, he can be a solid 4 year player for us.

This absolute reeks of Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day with 4 open scholarships. The "offer" from Georgia Tech was from his Sophomore year of high school and they haven't been involved for a long time. 247 is the only site to claim a Texas Tech offer and I can't find a date on that one and neither Rivals nor Verbal Commits lists a Texas Tech offer. The Gophers offered this kid on his visit last weekend. What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

We aren't on Plan C, or even plan L on recruiting this cycle, we are on plan Z. Obviously, you hope for a miracle and this kid turns out to actually be good but the Gophers track record with kids who aren't recruited anywhere else is absolutely horrific. Names like Gaston Diedhiou, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin...Even kids like Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert had better recruiting profiles but were absolute non-factors at this level.

Troll. Texas Tech was in the Elite 8 last year

Stating a fact does not make someone a troll. I personally like this recruit as i saw him twice. I am personally biased to great defensive high character kids.

This absolute reeks of Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day with 4 open scholarships. The "offer" from Georgia Tech was from his Sophomore year of high school and they haven't been involved for a long time. 247 is the only site to claim a Texas Tech offer and I can't find a date on that one and neither Rivals nor Verbal Commits lists a Texas Tech offer. The Gophers offered this kid on his visit last weekend. What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

We aren't on Plan C, or even plan L on recruiting this cycle, we are on plan Z. Obviously, you hope for a miracle and this kid turns out to actually be good but the Gophers track record with kids who aren't recruited anywhere else is absolutely horrific. Names like Gaston Diedhiou, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin...Even kids like Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert had better recruiting profiles but were absolute non-factors at this level.

Reeks, eh? Strong words.

It's nice to have ridiculous depth and be able to take a player who we don't need to start or contribute in Year 1

Another moron who has problem with factual statements

Every one of your 113 posts has troll written all over it. I'll follow you all over this board and call each of them out. Show us where you contributed something that wasn't hyper-negative and provocative?

Reeks, eh? Strong words.

It's nice to have ridiculous depth and be able to take a player who we don't need to start or contribute in Year 1

Ridiculous depth? What are you talking about? We lose our best player next year and Dupree McBrayer for sure. We aren't even considered an NCAA tournament lock for THIS season, much less a B1G title contender. Hopefully, we are both of those things but that's not the perception right now.

Next year? We have Washington, Carr, and Kalscheur in the backcourt with Coffey at SF and Curry, Oturu, and Omersa in the front court. That's 7 guys of that 7 the jury is still out on a number of those guys and the health of Curry will be a question mark until we see him get back to form. Behind those 7 we have two guys who have been ineffective at the college level in Hurt and Willis. Even if that top 7 works out, you still need at minimum one more nice piece...and then hope all 8 stay healthy. I would guess the Gophers wouldn't be in the top half of power 5 schools in terms of returning talent for the 2019-2020 season now. Obviously that could change drastically as the season plays out and we get a better grasp of the players on all rosters.

Ridiculous depth? What are you talking about? We lose our best player next year and Dupree McBrayer for sure. We aren't even considered an NCAA tournament lock for THIS season, much less a B1G title contender. Hopefully, we are both of those things but that's not the perception right now.

Next year? We have Washington, Carr, and Kalscheur in the backcourt with Coffey at SF and Curry, Oturu, and Omersa in the front court. That's 7 guys of that 7 the jury is still out on a number of those guys and the health of Curry will be a question mark until we see him get back to form. Behind those 7 we have two guys who have been ineffective at the college level in Hurt and Willis. Even if that top 7 works out, you still need at minimum one more nice piece...and then hope all 8 stay healthy. I would guess the Gophers wouldn't be in the top half of power 5 schools in terms of returning talent for the 2019-2020 season now. Obviously that could change drastically as the season plays out and we get a better grasp of the players on all rosters.

We’re doomed! Seriously though this kid reminds me of another player. Athletic, good shooter, smart and strong defensively. When said player was offered there were a few that looked at the offer list and wondered why are we involved? That player was Gabe Kalscheur and I’m guessing everyone loves him now. So why don’t we wait and see on Tre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re doomed! Seriously though this kid reminds me of another player. Athletic, good shooter, smart and strong defensively. When said player was offered there were a few that looked at the offer list and wondered why are we involved? That player was Gabe Kalscheur and I’m guessing everyone loves him now. So why don’t we wait and see on Tre.

What evidence is there that he’s a good shooter? His EYBL statistics are pretty poor.

Move Hurt to be an undersized Stretch 4 next year and his defense would look better as well as his athleticism at that position. He’d be all of 1-2 inch short from most college 4s but it’s possible he’d be productive in that roll. Also wasn’t that what he played in HS?

Also good to get on the board. Hopefully he can be a defensive stopper for us.

Nice way to welcome a young man with his whole life ahead of him coming to our program.

That's it, I'm calling up Tre Williams right now and telling him he needs to quit basketball because he's not a 4 or 5 star recruit. Gopherhole has spoken. In fact, I'm gonna call up Rick Barnes and tell him his #5 ranked Tennessee team needs to forfeit the rest of the season because they dont have a single top 100 recruit on that team. It's been decided on this board that you can never contribute to a college basketball team if you aren't recruited by Duke or Kentucky.

That's it, I'm calling up Tre Williams right now and telling him he needs to quit basketball because he's not a 4 or 5 star recruit. Gopherhole has spoken. In fact, I'm gonna call up Rick Barnes and tell him his #5 ranked Tennessee team needs to forfeit the rest of the season because they dont have a single top 100 recruit on that team. It's been decided on this board that you can never contribute to a college basketball team if you aren't recruited by Duke or Kentucky.

Love your post, but it's really only two posters being absolute dicks about this kid. One a verified troll and another who can't see the forest for the trees with this program. We are headed places this year and the recruiting will work out.

Well said! Thank you.

Nothing to get worked up over.

It’s possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

It’s possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

Can't wait til this is a moot point in a couple months

Poor kid will never get his transfer waiver approved.

if Pitino is gone you are gong to have guys way lower ranked than this kid on the roster next year..

Top Bottom