Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tre's Mom:

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    Nice way to welcome a young man with his whole life ahead of him coming to our program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What a strange reaction.

This is a fan message board, not our responsibility to "welcome a young man" to our program.

EG's post was totally fair and his concern is justified. Tre's recruiting profile absolutely stinks compared to other B1G commits thus far. That is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    Nothing to get worked up over.

Itís possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

This is SO, SO Minnesotaaa, LOL.

Hang in there frozen colleagues of the north. The sun will shine again. Maybe even this season.

Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    Nothing to get worked up over.

Itís possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

Then we recruit his father to coach

I like it. Can never have enough guards. Welcome!

anyway. I think Pitino sensed some urgency with this class. And with 4 open schollys we were never going to sign 4 guys ranked in the top 250. so I guess this gets the class started. and he probably isn't a guy that we will be able to count on much the first 1 or 2 but im hoping by the time he is an upperclassmen he can be a valuable member of this team

Below are the other teams from the big conferences that have gotten verbals from guys ranked 300 and lower for this cycle. and there isn't a nickels worth of difference in these players that are basically ranked 250 & lower
    Penn State-2
    Arkansas-2
    Iowa State-2
    Boston College-2
    TT
    Northwestern
    Souch Carolina
    Ol Miss
    Miss. State
    Syracuse
    Nebraska
    Oregon State
    Tennessee
    Wake Forest
    Florida

Quote Originally Posted by EG#9 View Post
    This absolute reeks of Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day with 4 open scholarships. The "offer" from Georgia Tech was from his Sophomore year of high school and they haven't been involved for a long time. 247 is the only site to claim a Texas Tech offer and I can't find a date on that one and neither Rivals nor Verbal Commits lists a Texas Tech offer. The Gophers offered this kid on his visit last weekend. What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

We aren't on Plan C, or even plan L on recruiting this cycle, we are on plan Z. Obviously, you hope for a miracle and this kid turns out to actually be good but the Gophers track record with kids who aren't recruited anywhere else is absolutely horrific. Names like Gaston Diedhiou, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin...Even kids like Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert had better recruiting profiles but were absolute non-factors at this level.
    Pretty strong take considering you've never heard of the kid until 3 days ago and you've never seen him play. Just because he's not a household name and not a top 100 player doesn't mean he won't be a very good player. Last I checked, Kalscheur wasn't terribly highly-recruited, there was talk on here of red-shirting him on here and now he's one of our best players.

Let's give the kid a chance to show what he can do and improve as a player before we decide he sucks without having seen him step foot on a court. Your mind seems to be made up. And if we get Kobe Brown and/or Hurt, none of it matters.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gophs24 View Post
    anyway. I think Pitino sensed some urgency with this class. And with 4 open schollys we were never going to sign 4 guys ranked in the top 250. so I guess this gets the class started. and he probably isn't a guy that we will be able to count on much the first 1 or 2 but im hoping by the time he is an upperclassmen he can be a valuable member of this team

Below are the other teams from the big conferences that have gotten verbals from guys ranked 300 and lower for this cycle. and there isn't a nickels worth of difference in these players that are basically ranked 250 & lower
    Penn State-2
    Arkansas-2
    Iowa State-2
    Boston College-2
    TT
    Northwestern
    Souch Carolina
    Ol Miss
    Miss. State
    Syracuse
    Nebraska
    Oregon State
    Tennessee
    Wake Forest
    Florida
    This ^^^

From what I gather, the kid is a good defender, and good in the class room. As long as he works hard, he'll not only make his mark in the rotation, but he'll absolutely make the rest of the team better by having to practice against a solid defensive player. Welcome aboard, Tre! Happy to have you.

I could care less where he is ranked before college by some internet site. The Gopher staff is not using those sites to decide they like somebody. I care where they stand after 4 years and what they have won as a team. There are hundreds of examples of guys ranked low or unranked that surpassed 90% of the guys ranked above them. The blue bloods are not really recruiting, they are selecting known assets. These kinds of recruits the Gophers get are actual scouting, projecting development. High character defenders go a long way. Jeter knows all too well how that formula works in the conference. Welcome aboard young man, go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I could care less where he is ranked before college by some internet site. The Gopher staff is not using those sites to decide they like somebody. I care where they stand after 4 years and what they have won as a team. There are hundreds of examples of guys ranked low or unranked that surpassed 90% of the guys ranked above them. The blue bloods are not really recruiting, they are selecting known assets. These kinds of recruits the Gophers get are actual scouting, projecting development. High character defenders go a long way. Jeter knows all too well how that formula works in the conference. Welcome aboard young man, go for it !
    100% Good post.

i didn't realize that ucla, oklahoma, usc and some other big names were after tre. this is a big pick up for us. pumped.

Where did his Mom get that list of schools?

If there is any legitimacy to it, he is a good get.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    i didn't realize that ucla, oklahoma, usc and some other big names were after tre. this is a big pick up for us. pumped.
    They weren't after him is the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post

They may have contacted him, but no evidence of offers

I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post

Chances are they got at least an initial inquiry about interest in those schools, perhaps even contact and discussion with the coaches but never an offer. I'm certain she is not making up the list- it is just a list of schools they considered through the process.