Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bc2211 View Post
    Curious about your thoughts on Jeter as a player development guy. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As unbiased as i can be i think he is pretty strong in that area. It is born in the fundamental drill work. I went to a Bob Knight coaching clinic and he spent 20 minutes on catching the ball, pivoting without traveling, how to pass it and catch it over and over and challenged them to catch and pass 20 in a row without a mistake or a violation. Then they moved to 5 spot shooting drills, how to use the glass inside, then 25 minutes on how to set picks, screens and rolls. Jeter was mentored as both a player and a coach that way under Ryan. I see things we flash defensively that come from that. The tell is will are guys get low and wide continually , all game which is grueling hard work and a test of conditioning and tougness. I am seeing more of that. I see things in Gabe where he is coming along against better competition and doing more that can come from Rob.

Tre is ranked as the 31st best SG in the country, per Rivals:

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankin...etball/2019/SG

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gophs24 View Post
    yup....800 total male & females were nominated
    So if you are a D1 level recruit you basically are assured a nomination.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    Tre is ranked as the 31st best SG in the country, per Rivals:

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankin...etball/2019/SG

Go Gophers!!
    At a quick glance, Tre is the third ranked B1G shooting guard.. A lot of guys ahead of them are "undecided" still though

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    As unbiased as i can be i think he is pretty strong in that area. It is born in the fundamental drill work. I went to a Bob Knight coaching clinic and he spent 20 minutes on catching the ball, pivoting without traveling, how to pass it and catch it over and over and challenged them to catch and pass 20 in a row without a mistake or a violation. Then they moved to 5 spot shooting drills, how to use the glass inside, then 25 minutes on how to set picks, screens and rolls. Jeter was mentored as both a player and a coach that way under Ryan. I see things we flash defensively that come from that. The tell is will are guys get low and wide continually , all game which is grueling hard work and a test of conditioning and tougness. I am seeing more of that. I see things in Gabe where he is coming along against better competition and doing more that can come from Rob.
    So true about defensive positioning, low and wide. It's telling watching sound defensive teams the court appears to shrink because their players are square to the ball, wide base and arms extended.

Q&A with Tre, per Marcus:

Q: What do you think about the Gophers turning things around so far this season?

A: If feel like we’re proving a lot of people wrong. Nobody expected us to be this good. I’m excited. I can’t wait to be a part of it. I love getting in transition and doing a lot of pick-and-roll action they are doing right now.

Q: How well do you know point guard Jalen Suggs from Minnehaha Academy?

A: That’s my cousin. We’re family. Growing up, I used to go out to Minnesota every single summer since I was 8 years old. My mom had family out there. And I would stay with Jalen’s family, hang out and work out with them. I’ve known them forever. He came to Dallas and played on my team for AAU nationals. So I’ve known him for awhile. My mom and his dad grew up together from middle school. They’ve been close ever since, so we’re pretty much family. We call each other cousins. Blood couldn’t make us any closer.

Q: Wouldn’t it be cool for you guys to play together with the Gophers?

A: No doubt. I’ve been in his ear non-stop. If me and him team up at Minnesota, then it could be big time. He’s just so versatile. He can track more than one defender on every play, which opens up a lot on the court. He can spread the court. He can shoot the ball, get to the rim and he’s athletic. I just feel like at the point, being 6-4, 6-5 being able to get around a defender, it just opens up the court. He’s a good passer as well, so him and I together would be a good duo. I haven’t been back to Minnesota since I came on my visit. But I saw him last summer in Vegas at the Fab 48 and we hung out a bit.

Q: How much have you grown physically and mentally since you came to prep school?

A: I think I’ve put on an inch (legit 6-5) and about 10-15 pounds (190-195). We’re lifting three or four days a week. I’ve gotten stronger. Shoulders are bigger. I’m more confident going into the rim. Can jump a little higher. I feel like my all-around physical (tools) and leadership has grown.

Q: Gophers coach Richard Pitino talked about your athleticism standing out. Are there other parts of your game that are underrated you think?

A: This summer and last year were the first time people were saying I was just an athlete or they were surprised by my athleticism. All my life I’ve been a scorer and been able to shoot. I had a little slump last summer, but I came back out to Utah and got a lot of shots up. I probably get 200-300 shots up in practice and more on my own. I’ve grown confident in myself, rotation is better on my shot and I worked on my left hand a lot. I can drive both ways now. I was more of a dominant right player, but I can go both ways and it helps a lot.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-r...eam/505085472/

Go Gophers!!

will having him on the roster certainly wont hurt our chances with getting suggs!

Interesting. Didnt know about the ties between Tre and Jalen. Yes, cant hurt.

maybe it was Pitino's plan all along. Tre Williams and Suggs a combo deal

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    Interesting. Didnt know about the ties between Tre and Jalen. Yes, cant hurt.
    pun?

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    pun?
    Does bring up an interesting thought. If we knew that Hurt and Suggs were both commiting tomorrow and one of them was picking us, whom would we prefer? Think I would take Suggs as would hopefully open the floodgates for the 2020 loaded Minnesota class.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dalostpinoy View Post
    maybe it was Pitino's plan all along. Tre Williams and Suggs a combo deal
    Yes, Pitino playing chess again.

Tre is now a 247 composite 4 star.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Williams-46046489/

Pitino seemed very excited when discussing Williams at the pregame talk tonight. About him, Carr and Willis actually.

Go Gophers!!