Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Potential Lineups for 2019-2020 season

As our spring recruiting adds another player for the 2019 class, I thought it would be help full to run down the list of scholarship guys on our team and what positions they play. This should indicate where our holes are on our roster and what potential lineups Pitino can play with this coming season.

Because we are moving towards position-less basketball and have added guys on our roster that can play more than one position, I thought I'd first list all the guys on the team that can potentially play a given position. For example, I may list Oturu as depth at PF even though he hasn't played minutes there. I'll be very liberal in describing our position depth, so this exercise will include any player capable of playing a certain position. Projected starters will be capitalized. So...

C: OTURU/Curry/Freeman/Omersa
    PF: CURRY/Omersa/Ihnen/Hurt/Oturu
    SF: KALSCHEUR/Ihnen/Hurt/Williams/Willis
    SG: WILLIS/Kalscheur/Williams
    PG: CARR/Willis

Putting our roster in the perspective, it's clear we likely will need to add another guard for depth. Ihnen is an interesting addition in that he seems to be Michael Hurt with a much higher ceiling, a SF/PF tweener who can supposedly shoot from the outside. I'm not sure if Ihnen will be able to earn a starting spot at the 3/SF position. Under Pitino, we have mostly run a three-guard lineup and our SF/PF projects haven't really worked (Buggs, Fitzgerald, Hurt)..

I can see a lineup of Carr/Kalscheur/Ihnen/Hurt/Oturu being effective. That's some good size and hopefully some good perimeter shooting.

It remains to be seen if a lineup of Carr/Kalscheur/Ihnen/Curry/Oturu can work. I'm not convinced Ihnen will be up to speed defensively to guard B1G small forwards. I also don't like the idea of a hobbled Curry and Ihnen trying to defend together.

I do wonder where Williams finds his way. When we were recruiting Sheffield, the consensus was that Williams would be depth at SF and be more of a 3&D guy for us a la Kalscheur. But with Ihnen coming in and Hurt staying, I wonder if Pitino will elect to play our lengthier guys at the SF position.

How do you think the lineup will shape out?
    Last edited by Lakers612; 04-23-2019 at 05:48 PM.

You are assuming Coffey is gone? I don't think that is a given. But, if he is we have three more scholarships to add players.
    So it seems a bit premature to project lineups imo What you have seems fine but you might be missing 3 starters....just sayin'

Also, my eyes told me Ihnen was good. Somebody at 247 rated him a 4 star...so they agree. In your scenario I think Ihnen would be the starting 3 or receive a lot of minutes to fail at the worst.

Again your projections are as accurate as anybody's but it's just too soon to know who the candidates even are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers612 View Post
    As our spring recruiting adds another player for the 2019 class, I thought it would be help full to run down the list of scholarship guys on our team and what positions they play. This should indicate where our holes are on our roster and what potential lineups Pitino can play with this coming season.

Because we are moving towards position-less basketball and have added guys on our roster that can play more than one position, I thought I'd first list all the guys on the team that can potentially play a given position. For example, I may list Oturu as depth at PF even though he hasn't played minutes there. I'll be very liberal in describing our position depth, so this exercise will include any player capable of playing a certain position. Projected starters will be capitalized. So...

C: OTURU/Curry/Freeman/Omersa
    PF: CURRY/Omersa/Ihnen/Hurt/Oturu
    SF: KALSCHEUR/Ihnen/Hurt/Williams/Willis
    SG: WILLIS/Kalscheur/Williams
    PG: CARR/Willis

Putting our roster in the perspective, it's clear we likely will need to add another guard for depth. Ihnen is an interesting addition in that he seems to be Michael Hurt with a much higher ceiling, a SF/PF tweener who can supposedly shoot from the outside. I'm not sure if Ihnen will be able to earn a starting spot at the 3/SF position. Under Pitino, we have mostly run a three-guard lineup and our SF/PF projects haven't really worked (Buggs, Fitzgerald, Hurt)..

I can see a lineup of Carr/Kalscheur/Ihnen/Hurt/Oturu being effective. That's some good size and hopefully some good perimeter shooting.

It remains to be seen if a lineup of Carr/Kalscheur/Ihnen/Curry/Oturu can work. I'm not convinced Ihnen will be up to speed defensively to guard B1G small forwards. I also don't like the idea of a hobbled Curry and Ihnen trying to defend together.

I do wonder where Williams finds his way. When we were recruiting Sheffield, the consensus was that Williams would be depth at SF and be more of a 3&D guy for us a la Kalscheur. But with Ihnen coming in and Hurt staying, I wonder if Pitino will elect to play our lengthier guys at the SF position.

How do you think the lineup will shape out?
    I thought I heard that Williams could play the 1, 2 or 3? If you look at the roster - and I still believe Coffey comes back- I think that even if Williams or Willis can play the 1, back up PG is now the most vulnerable spot in case of an injury to Carr. It might be tough to get a GT to come in as back up point. Personally, I'd love to see them pick up a Lil Dre type speedster out of the weeds somewhere.

For me, I really want to add Alihan Demir and Donnell Gresham. I think we need another body who can play the 4. I also don't love Willis starting and also being our backup PG. I think Gresham would fit this team perfectly, he can play the 1 and the 2...he's an above average shooter and defends and rebounds well. I think he'd be the perfect backup for Carr. He doesn't appear to be attracting a ton of attention so I think the home apeal is enough to convince him even if he wants to be the starter somewhere.

If Coffey comes back, then that's even better and gives us plenty of options defensively. We would be able to match up with teams that have great size and length and we'd still have Carr and Gresham to matchup against smaller and quicker guards. Bottom line is I am really excited for this team and if Coffey comes back the expectations should be a Sweet 16 appearance imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimey Grimes View Post
    For me, I really want to add Alihan Demir and Donnell Gresham. I think we need another body who can play the 4. I also don't love Willis starting and also being our backup PG. I think Gresham would fit this team perfectly, he can play the 1 and the 2...he's an above average shooter and defends and rebounds well. I think he'd be the perfect backup for Carr. He doesn't appear to be attracting a ton of attention so I think the home apeal is enough to convince him even if he wants to be the starter somewhere.

If Coffey comes back, then that's even better and gives us plenty of options defensively. We would be able to match up with teams that have great size and length and we'd still have Carr and Gresham to matchup against smaller and quicker guards. Bottom line is I am really excited for this team and if Coffey comes back the expectations should be a Sweet 16 appearance imo.
    Agree but a Sweet 16 is winning two games. Where do you think we finish in the conference ?

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Agree but a Sweet 16 is winning two games. Where do you think we finish in the conference ?
    I think if Coffey returns and we land both Gresham and Demir a top 4 conference finish should be the expectation. Anything less would be underachieving. I'd expect 14 conference wins. We reached 11 before with less conference games and less talent.

Id say we should finish top of of the conference would be the goal, but that is very tough to do and a single game can be the difference between 1st and 4th.
    Last edited by Frank Grimey Grimes; 04-23-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: We won 11 not 12 previously.

Holy balls this place changes its tune quick.

I think Coffey will be back. All the feedback points to outside of the top 100 prospects for the draft. They still need another ball handling guard with this line up and still a little thin at center, no clue what you can get from Curry at this point. Ihnen can play multiple positions down the road but you can't over load freshmen with learning the 3 and 4, same with Williams as a 3 or 2.

1. Carr/Willis
    2. Gabe/Willis/Williams
    3. Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt/Williams
    4. Demir/Curry/Omersa/Hurt
    5. Oturu/Freeman/Curry

Starting five

Carr 26-32 minutes
    Gabe K 30-35 minutes
    Coffey 36+ minutes
    Curry 17-22 minutes
    Oturu 27-33 minutes

Bench
    Willis 13-18 minutes
    Inhan 12-15 minutes
    Omersa 10-13 minutes
    Williams 7-10 minutes

Hurt could potentially cut into Williams, Inhan and Omersa's minutes if he can shoot with confidence. Don't expect much from Freeman this year. Walk-ons are walk-ons. Obviously subject to change based on Coffey decision and how class rounds out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ihnen is going to be a wing if we sign Demir and Curry is healthy. More Jalen Smith than Jordon Murphy. Playing the wing is pretty much the same even if you are playing the 2 as long as you are playing a zone defense. Hard to say if he can guard the B1G shooting guards.

I'm now hoping we can sign Gresham and Demir. Lineup would be:

PG: Carr/Gresham/Coffey (I haven't seen any info saying Willis can play point. Williams maybe.)
    SG: Kalesheur/Williams/Willis (not convinced Willis can hold off Williams)
    SF: Coffey/Hurt/Ihnen/Kalesheur (Gabe is the only guard I think is strong enough to move up to SF)
    PF: Demir/Curry/Omersa (I don't see Hurt in the PF rotation if we sign Demir and have a healthy Curry)
    C: Oturu/Freeman/Curry (If Freeman is as much of a banger as his HS coach says, Curry is probably done playing center. Daniel has his spot locked.)

I think Gresham can also play the 2, so if Coffey doesn't return I'd expect to see Carr, Gresham, Gabe, Demir/Curry, and Oturu. That's an improvement in defense and a team without an offensive leader. Wouldn't count out Williams to be in the mix here either! He is prep school qualified and can score.

All height possible lineup:
    PG: Coffey
    SG: Ihnen
    SF: Demir
    PF: Curry
    C: Oturu

I'd like to see this lineup at least once during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Starting five

Carr 26-32 minutes
    Gabe K 30-35 minutes
    Coffey 36+ minutes
    Curry 17-22 minutes
    Oturu 27-33 minutes

Bench
    Willis 13-18 minutes
    Inhan 12-15 minutes
    Omersa 10-13 minutes
    Williams 7-10 minutes

Hurt could potentially cut into Williams, Inhan and Omersa's minutes if he can shoot with confidence. Don't expect much from Freeman this year. Walk-ons are walk-ons. Obviously subject to change based on Coffey decision and how class rounds out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I hope that this year, Pitino does a better job of developing depth in the non-conference season. He will certainly have more options to work with! I will bear a few losses in the non-conference if it means a long bench that is ready to go come conference season. I'd rather see guys like Coffey play 30 minutes all out on both ends with fresh legs than 35+ minutes and get worn down. Play more guys and expect more effort over shorter stints. It might help shooting, improve defense and reduce injuries.

I wish the HP summer league was like the days goneby when you could go and see all the new Gophers play......so fun.

I'd love to see something like this with everyone going all out when they are on the floor:

Carr 28 Williams 10 Willis 2
    Gabe 28 Willis 12
    Coffey 30 Ihnen 8 Williams 2
    Curry 17 Omersa 15 Ihnen 5
    Oturu 28 Freeman 12

With our current roster with Coffey and not adding anyone else.
    disclaimer: I have not seen 5/11 play a single minute
    PG: Carr 30 - Coffey 8 - Other 2
    SG: Kalscheur 30 - Willis 5 - Williams 5
    SF: Coffey 26 - Ihnen 7 - Williams 7
    PF: Curry 10 - Omersa 13 - Hurt 10 - Ihnen 7
    C: Oturu 26 - Curry 6 - Freeman 6 - Other 2

Other is on the current roster but just extra minutes where Maybe Williams or Willis play the 1 and maybe we go really lean a few minutes a game with 5 shooters on the floor.

Without Coffey
    PG: Carr 34 - Willis 6
    SG: Gabe 32 - Williams 4 - Willis 4
    SF: Hurt 10 - Ihnen 15 - Williams 15
    PF: Curry 15 - Omersa 15 - Hurt 6 - Ihnen 4
    C: Oturu 28 - Freeman 7 - Curry 5

This scares me quite a bit just to think about. If Ihnen and Williams are not ready for D1 play yet we could be in deep trouble, but if either or both can come in like Gabe did last year we could return to March Madness next spring.

Would love to see a full court pressing team that plays all of the scholarship players. We don’t have a single player on our Roster who can’t move well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ten Championship View Post
    Would love to see a full court pressing team that plays all of the scholarship players. We don’t have a single player on our Roster who can’t move well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I Vike that. Pitino did run a press at FIU while he was there, he could go back to his roots.

Wondering who people think will step up and fill the rebounding void from Murphy’s departure? I think defensively that the team could be better, and scoring I think especially if Coffey comes back should be solid, but concerned about the glass.