All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is he really a forward (Joe Coleman 2.0)? Or can he play guard? Good enough handle? Shooter?

If he can shoot that makes all the difference, if his game is in the paint he will struggle.

Why did you use Zhaire Smith as an example instead of Josh Martin or Bakary Konate?

Well, someone already answered this but I also used Zhaire Smith because it was mentioned that Williams got an offer from Texas Tech, just like Zhaire Smith, and Willams is a similar size and position to Zhaire Smith. Neither Josh Martin nor Bakary Konate share those characteristics.

Rated 342 nationally ...

This absolute reeks of Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day with 4 open scholarships. The "offer" from Georgia Tech was from his Sophomore year of high school and they haven't been involved for a long time. 247 is the only site to claim a Texas Tech offer and I can't find a date on that one and neither Rivals nor Verbal Commits lists a Texas Tech offer. The Gophers offered this kid on his visit last weekend. What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

We aren't on Plan C, or even plan L on recruiting this cycle, we are on plan Z. Obviously, you hope for a miracle and this kid turns out to actually be good but the Gophers track record with kids who aren't recruited anywhere else is absolutely horrific. Names like Gaston Diedhiou, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin...Even kids like Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert had better recruiting profiles but were absolute non-factors at this level.

Looks like he's be reevaluated. Currently 88.58 composite (89 on 247) 222 nationally and 53rd rated SF. For reference Gabe was 89.68, 198 overall, and 44 SG.

Is your opinion any different now??

Looks like he's be reevaluated. Currently 88.58 composite (89 on 247) 222 nationally and 53rd rated SF. For reference Gabe was 89.68, 198 overall, and 44 SG.

Is your opinion any different now??
Wonder what the basis was for this reevaluation..

Signing with a power 5 school gives him a boost. He also showed well last week. I could care less where he is ranked, the staff thinks he can play with what they are looking for. I can lay out dozens and dozens of guys ranked lower than 200 who became starters on conference championship teams. Some kids just keep getting better and better. Hell a true freshman kid ranked 350 started for a top 5 team just yesterday and he is 5'7

A little more publicity.

These ratings shouldn't be given the respect of scientific measurements. Beyond the ratings assigned to a relatively small number of well known and extensively followed players, they're kind of a crapshoot. Some players are underrated because they are relatively obscure and/or they develop a little later. Williams could have the freshman impact of Gabe or the freshman impact of Ahmad Gilbert (although I suspect he'll be better than that).

One thing that may have been a factor in the little attention paid to Williams: his fitness level. I've seen recent pictures (from Wasatch) and older video (from his Texas high school years) of Williams. Although the video showed that he had multiple abilities, he appeared to be a bit pudgy in those. He looks much leaner and more athletic now. This Wasatch year appears to be a 5th prep year so maybe the extra year helped in his development.

A little more publicity.

These ratings shouldn't be given the respect of scientific measurements. Beyond the ratings assigned to a relatively small number of well known and extensively followed players, they're kind of a crapshoot. Some players are underrated because they are relatively obscure and/or they develop a little later. Williams could have the freshman impact of Gabe or the freshman impact of Ahmad Gilbert (although I suspect he'll be better than that).

One thing that may have been a factor in the little attention paid to Williams: his fitness level. I've seen recent pictures (from Wasatch) and older video (from his Texas high school years) of Williams. Although the video showed that he had multiple abilities, he appeared to be a bit pudgy in those. He looks much leaner and more athletic now. This Wasatch year appears to be a 5th prep year so maybe the extra year helped in his development.

I agree, The ranking services can't watch or evaluate every player. They tend to flock in the herd and give top ratings to top rated players or the ones that stand out, but the vast majority of player barely get a look. The fact that he actually signed with a Star Coach (dig at some posters) at a P5 school causes the ranking services to actually give him another look. Plus he has improved and stands out now.

They saw him play twice this weekend and got to see more of his game. He played on a pretty loaded AAU team this summer and so he played some but not a load of minutes like most high major guys on AAU teams. Makes it harder to properly evaluate a guy when you only get a limited viewing.

per Shooter:

The Gophers men’s basketball team shouldn’t have any difficulty keeping new three-star 6-5 guard signee Tre Williams III academically eligible. Playing for Wasatch Academy in Utah, Williams has a 4.11 classroom grade-point average. His father, Marvin, played for Princeton, and older sister Jade is a sophomore at Duke.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/...gi-wilf-willing-to-stick-to-the-same-program/

Go Gophers!!

247 now has a composite ranking for him at 189 nationally. *sorry if this has been posted already

183 now. Dang

So now he is rated higher than Gabe, so all those ripping Pitino for this recruit need to now retract their comments because having a freshmen next year who is better than Gabe is something everyone should be happy about

So now he is rated higher than Gabe, so all those ripping Pitino for this recruit need to now retract their comments because having a freshmen next year who is better than Gabe is something everyone should be happy about

That doesn't mean that he is better than Gabe, but clearly Tre is better than a lot of us were giving him credit for.

That doesn't mean that he is better than Gabe, but clearly Tre is better than a lot of us were giving him credit for.

It does by the only criteria that the people that were attacking him were using! We all know that it is much more complex than simple player ranking, but Tre's ranking was the only thing used as the justification to attack his recruitment.

Evan Daniels: Minnesota signee Tre Williams makes statement at Hoopsgiving

Minnesota signee Tre Williams made a statement this weekend at the Holiday Hoopsgiving, leading Mt. Pleasant (Utah) Wasatch Academy to a pair of wins.

In two games, Williams, a 6-foot-4, pushing 6-5 guard, scored 41 points on 15-for-27 shooting, including 6-for-12 from the three-point stripe. He also added six assists and five steals in the two contests.

“I think I played solid,” Williams said. “I had two back to back good games, but I still think I can get better, hit more shots and I had a couple of turnovers I shouldn’t have had late in the game. I think I could have been better, but overall we got two wins so it was a good weekend.”

Williams flew under the radar during the summer playing for a loaded Drive Nation team in the EYBL circuit. For that team, Williams played the role of defensive stopper and took a backseat to a handful of top 50 recruits in the scoring department.

While Williams’ role is certainly bigger for Wasatch Academy, he’s also shown significant improvement.

“On my summer team there’s a lot of four stars and five stars and a lot of guys that like to take a bunch of shots, and I’m not a guy that needs to take a bunch of shots to feel good,” Williams said. “I just want to win.”

“If my role on the team is to take less shots and be more of an assist guy and defensive guy then that’s fine with me,” he added. “I came out here and my coach gives me the greenlight and the confidence to do what I need to do to help us win.”

Williams said he’s spent a considerable amount of time working on his jump shot the past few months and that’s led to increased confidence.

“Coach [Dave] Evans came in and turned the whole program around,” he said. “We get a lot more shots up in practice and work on our shots a lot more. I feel more confident in my shooting.”

While Williams is showing progress as a scorer and shot maker, Williams said among his biggest strengths is his competitiveness.

“I just feel like I’m a dog,” he said. “I’m a both sides of the ball player. I’m a dog. I can score it, but at the same time I can lock up the other team’s best player. Overall, I feel like I’m a leader.”

Williams’ style of plays fits well at Minnesota, where he signed with last week.

“More than excited,” Williams said when asked about Minnesota. “They came in late in my recruitment, it was big time. Coach [Richard] Pitino and coach [Rob] Jeter came on me heavy and it was just a blessing from God."

https://247sports.com/college/baske...s-statement-at-Holiday-Hoopsgiving-125318596/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Per the link:
"To say that Richard Pitino has had his peaks and valleys as the head coach at Minnesota would be a giant understatement. What you can’t argue with is that whenever his teams have been healthy, they have more than held their own on the playing floor, this year’s undefeated start proof and point. He has built his program on the backs of talented guards and has another good one headed his way in Tre Williams.

The 6-foot-4 guard signed for the Big 10 program last week without much fanfare. That needs to change. While he was hidden some on a super talented Drive Nation team this summer, Williams looked like one of the sneakier pick-ups of the fall. He has gotten stronger, become a better playmaker and showed the capacity to make shots to the perimeter.

Finishing with a final stat line of 19 points, three assists, three steals and two rebounds in his squad’s win on Friday, Williams should find a comfortable landing spot in Minnesota. Alongside Marcus Carr, Isaiah Washington, Gabe Kalscheur and Payton Willis, the Gophers have a very talented but also versatile backcourt intact next season which should only bolster their chances of success during league play and beyond."

Evan Daniels: Minnesota signee Tre Williams makes statement at Hoopsgiving

Minnesota signee Tre Williams made a statement this weekend at the Holiday Hoopsgiving, leading Mt. Pleasant (Utah) Wasatch Academy to a pair of wins.

In two games, Williams, a 6-foot-4, pushing 6-5 guard, scored 41 points on 15-for-27 shooting, including 6-for-12 from the three-point stripe. He also added six assists and five steals in the two contests.

“I think I played solid,” Williams said. “I had two back to back good games, but I still think I can get better, hit more shots and I had a couple of turnovers I shouldn’t have had late in the game. I think I could have been better, but overall we got two wins so it was a good weekend.”

Williams flew under the radar during the summer playing for a loaded Drive Nation team in the EYBL circuit. For that team, Williams played the role of defensive stopper and took a backseat to a handful of top 50 recruits in the scoring department.

While Williams’ role is certainly bigger for Wasatch Academy, he’s also shown significant improvement.

“On my summer team there’s a lot of four stars and five stars and a lot of guys that like to take a bunch of shots, and I’m not a guy that needs to take a bunch of shots to feel good,” Williams said. “I just want to win.”

“If my role on the team is to take less shots and be more of an assist guy and defensive guy then that’s fine with me,” he added. “I came out here and my coach gives me the greenlight and the confidence to do what I need to do to help us win.”

Williams said he’s spent a considerable amount of time working on his jump shot the past few months and that’s led to increased confidence.

“Coach [Dave] Evans came in and turned the whole program around,” he said. “We get a lot more shots up in practice and work on our shots a lot more. I feel more confident in my shooting.”

While Williams is showing progress as a scorer and shot maker, Williams said among his biggest strengths is his competitiveness.

“I just feel like I’m a dog,” he said. “I’m a both sides of the ball player. I’m a dog. I can score it, but at the same time I can lock up the other team’s best player. Overall, I feel like I’m a leader.”

Williams’ style of plays fits well at Minnesota, where he signed with last week.

“More than excited,” Williams said when asked about Minnesota. “They came in late in my recruitment, it was big time. Coach [Richard] Pitino and coach [Rob] Jeter came on me heavy and it was just a blessing from God."

https://247sports.com/college/baske...s-statement-at-Holiday-Hoopsgiving-125318596/

Go Gophers!!

I'm liking this commitment more and more. Props to the coaching staff for the solid get, and identifying an otherwise "under the radar" guy. Although it's hard to say this early on, but I think this might be a steal for us.

It does by the only criteria that the people that were attacking him were using! We all know that it is much more complex than simple player ranking, but Tre's ranking was the only thing used as the justification to attack his recruitment.

Rankings aren't perfect, but they're usually pretty reliable (obviously they didn't give Gabe enough credit). For everyone here who has never seen him play, rankings/offers are all we have to go by, which is why I was initially skeptical about how good he was. I'm encouraged by these new reports though. Sounds like someone who is definitely worth a scholarship. I like that he seems to have a good attitude and is willing to play hard on defense and do the little things. I'm happy to have him.

Per the link:
"To say that Richard Pitino has had his peaks and valleys as the head coach at Minnesota would be a giant understatement. What you can’t argue with is that whenever his teams have been healthy, they have more than held their own on the playing floor, this year’s undefeated start proof and point. He has built his program on the backs of talented guards and has another good one headed his way in Tre Williams.

The 6-foot-4 guard signed for the Big 10 program last week without much fanfare. That needs to change. While he was hidden some on a super talented Drive Nation team this summer, Williams looked like one of the sneakier pick-ups of the fall. He has gotten stronger, become a better playmaker and showed the capacity to make shots to the perimeter.

Finishing with a final stat line of 19 points, three assists, three steals and two rebounds in his squad’s win on Friday, Williams should find a comfortable landing spot in Minnesota. Alongside Marcus Carr, Isaiah Washington, Gabe Kalscheur and Payton Willis, the Gophers have a very talented but also versatile backcourt intact next season which should only bolster their chances of success during league play and beyond."

Is he a guard, I was always under the assumption he was a SF.

Top Bottom