All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

You quoted me saying that rankings aren't perfect, but then proceeded to respond as if I said they are.

I know this is a different sport, but I think this article illustrates that rankings are pretty reliable:
https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

If you don't feel like reading it, the relevant part says that roughly 57.6% of 5-stars get drafted, 23.6% of 4-stars, 6.9% of 3-stars, and 1.1% of 2-stars. If rankings weren't reliable at all, those percentages would be much closer to being even, but they aren't.

Thanks for this info. Seems pretty clear as a general rule that the rankings matter, even though there obviously are exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this info. Seems pretty clear as a general rule that the rankings matter, even though there obviously are exceptions.

Of course for a fan they are more accurate but coaches do not recruit off of a list. They scout and evaluate on who fits and can help programs. Those top 10 are easy. next 25 pretty easy. and so on. I can lay out where the UW classes ranked fortheir final 4 teams, conference champion teams, Villanova or years, UVA for years. Non blue blood programs get few top 50 kids and build on identifying intangible skills. Some big time programs have starters not even ranked. Your not going to recruit like a top 10 program so you look to win another way. 4 year and 5 year players that are men and always improving. Great eye from the staff is critical and then top shelf coaching. Then recruiting gets better with wing and young players gain faith that they will be coached really well.

Eric Bossi is respected by coaches for his opinion and he likes this recruit. Most of the internet scouts are hacks and just raise and lower rankings based on what coaches have offered. A name who coaches actually pay is THE GODFATHER OF SCOUTING , Tom Konchalski and he is not online, he is independent and his stuff sells for about 475.00 seperate from a individual evaluation. Rankings are for fans. Anyone can rank the the top 10. Real recruiting is finding guys like Murphy and Gabe. Non blue blood schools win big with these finds.

Correct! Fans think these ranking hacks know everything about every player, what a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that Gabe looks to have been a steal. He might be one of the best 15 freshman in the country. As far as Murphy, he got offers from good programs, including Shaka Smart’s VCU (granted, Smart didn’t bring him to Texas with him). I would still call Murphy a diamond in the rough considering some college b-ball analysts had him as a pre-season third team all American, which no one projected. Overall, I think it’s hard to compare recruite like this.

I was really disenchanted with the Tre Williams signing. I saw a 300-something ranked player with no big time offers. But I’m also a big Pitino fan and am not totally shocked that Williams shot up the board. Pitino made Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy all-Big10 caliber players. I think he can make Williams a solid contributor day 1...

It’s funny how we kind of lack guard depth this year, but next year we will be stacked. Washington, Carr, Willis, Williams, Gabe K., and even Coffey (if you want to call him a guard). Will be interesting to see how’s it plays out. I’ve read Willis is a PG but Marcus Fuller calls him a combo guard so maybe this depth chart will work:

Washington/Carr
Gabe K./Willis
Coffey/Williams

At the level that Pitino wants to compete, he is not going to offer anybody to be a roster filler! He has gotten burned in the past reaching for players he hoped would develop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I just saw that Marvin Williams Jr (Tre's dad) reply to a tweet congratulating Jalen Suggs for his contributions to the Team USA U17 Gold medal team with "Great job Jalen!!! Tre will be waiting to play with you at Minnesota! Go Gophers!!!" I like the excitement from this family.

I just saw that Marvin Williams Jr (Tre's dad) reply to a tweet congratulating Jalen Suggs for his contributions to the Team USA U17 Gold medal team with "Great job Jalen!!! Tre will be waiting to play with you at Minnesota! Go Gophers!!!" I like the excitement from this family.

His mom is a U alumnae, I think from the east side of St. Paul. Not sure where dad is from, but one has to like the enthusiasm.

Nice!

Williams looks pretty darn nifty from the footage I have seen. I really like the fact he's scoring with both hands around the basket. Seems to be comfortable with the ball and has plenty of athleticism.

Looking forward to his arriving at The U.

Look forward to seeing him play for the U!

Welcome to the Gophers!

Updated prep hoops rankings using self proclaimed prep hoops genius Ryan James still has him in the 330 range.....

per Shama:

The Gophers’ lone men’s basketball commit so far for their class of 2019 is Marvin “Tre'” Williams III. The 6-5 guard from Dallas is currently enrolled at Wasatch Academy in Utah in 2019. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino is likely to expect immediate help from Williams, whose mother Kelly is from St. Paul and played basketball at Harding High School.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Rivals: Bossi's Best: Prospects on the verge of upward mobility

We are nearing our annual winter refresh of the Rivals rankings. In this week's edition of Bossi's Best I wanted to take a look at some players who could be in line to get a bump in star level, make a nice move up or flat out crash the rankings.

I've chosen 10 players (six from 2019 and four from 2020) to spotlight in advance of the rankings refresh that will take place the week of Jan. 28. Players are listed by how they are currently ranked and then alphabetical order for those that are looking to enter the rankings.

Tre Williams

Why he is on the rise: Williams has been ranked in the Rivals150 before and showed a lot of promise going into his junior year. As a senior, he's gotten back on track and taken a big step up. He's found his confidence on the offensive end and shows the tools to be a high-level defender as well.

Recruitment: Signed with Minnesota.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-upward-mobility

Go Gophers!!

Tre' Williams was recently named one of the top high schoolers in the country, earning a nomination to the McDonald's All American Game.

Tre' Williams was recently named one of the top high schoolers in the country, earning a nomination to the McDonald's All American Game.
Great! Now for our big spring recruits to sign and bring dominance to Minnesota!

800+ top high schoolers received the same nomination as Tre.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

800+ top high schoolers received the same nomination as Tre.

Looks like many of them are female. Half?

per Sid:

U recruit on top squad

The Gophers’ lone basketball commitment so far for the Class of 2019 is Tre Williams out of Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah.

MaxPreps.com has Wasatch rated as the No. 4 high school team in the country through 20 games. Williams, a 6-5 wing, leads the team in scoring with 17.1 points per game and also averages 3.3 assists and 3.1 rebounds.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-harris-earn-praise-for-their-play/504838391/

Go Gophers!!

You never know with these kids but I sure did like some of the things he showed in his mix tape. Scores pretty easily with either hand and seems to do a little of everything. Looking forward to seeing him play. Now we need to flesh the class out.

per Sid:

U recruit on top squad

The Gophers’ lone basketball commitment so far for the Class of 2019 is Tre Williams out of Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah.

MaxPreps.com has Wasatch rated as the No. 4 high school team in the country through 20 games. Williams, a 6-5 wing, leads the team in scoring with 17.1 points per game and also averages 3.3 assists and 3.1 rebounds.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-harris-earn-praise-for-their-play/504838391/

Go Gophers!!

hmmm- star of the #4 team in the country is not bad!

hmmm- star of the #4 team in the country is not bad!

Interesting to see the results this weekend, looks like Wasatch is playing against a couple of 5* players today(Rancho Christian) and if they win probably against another team that has a couple of 5* players (Montverde).

Interesting to see the results this weekend, looks like Wasatch is playing against a couple of 5* players today(Rancho Christian) and if they win probably against another team that has a couple of 5* players (Montverde).

He is not the best player on his team but is a good player with a big up side. This one is all Jeter.

He is not the best player on his team but is a good player with a big up side. This one is all Jeter.

Curious about your thoughts on Jeter as a player development guy. Any opinions?

Top Bottom