All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

Tre's Mom:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nice way to welcome a young man with his whole life ahead of him coming to our program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a strange reaction.

This is a fan message board, not our responsibility to "welcome a young man" to our program.

EG's post was totally fair and his concern is justified. Tre's recruiting profile absolutely stinks compared to other B1G commits thus far. That is a fact.

Nothing to get worked up over.

It’s possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

This is SO, SO Minnesotaaa, LOL.

Hang in there frozen colleagues of the north. The sun will shine again. Maybe even this season.

Nothing to get worked up over.

It’s possible Pitino may not even be here next season which means neither may this kid.

Then we recruit his father to coach:)

I like it. Can never have enough guards. Welcome!

anyway. I think Pitino sensed some urgency with this class. And with 4 open schollys we were never going to sign 4 guys ranked in the top 250. so I guess this gets the class started. and he probably isn't a guy that we will be able to count on much the first 1 or 2 but im hoping by the time he is an upperclassmen he can be a valuable member of this team

Below are the other teams from the big conferences that have gotten verbals from guys ranked 300 and lower for this cycle. and there isn't a nickels worth of difference in these players that are basically ranked 250 & lower
Penn State-2
Arkansas-2
Iowa State-2
Boston College-2
TT
Northwestern
Souch Carolina
Ol Miss
Miss. State
Syracuse
Nebraska
Oregon State
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Florida

This absolute reeks of Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day with 4 open scholarships. The "offer" from Georgia Tech was from his Sophomore year of high school and they haven't been involved for a long time. 247 is the only site to claim a Texas Tech offer and I can't find a date on that one and neither Rivals nor Verbal Commits lists a Texas Tech offer. The Gophers offered this kid on his visit last weekend. What was he doing the weekend prior with signing day less than two weeks away? Visiting Pepperdine. There are 30 basketball commitments to B1G universities right now and Tre Williams ranks 30th out of 30.

We aren't on Plan C, or even plan L on recruiting this cycle, we are on plan Z. Obviously, you hope for a miracle and this kid turns out to actually be good but the Gophers track record with kids who aren't recruited anywhere else is absolutely horrific. Names like Gaston Diedhiou, Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin...Even kids like Jamir Harris and Ahmad Gilbert had better recruiting profiles but were absolute non-factors at this level.

Pretty strong take considering you've never heard of the kid until 3 days ago and you've never seen him play. Just because he's not a household name and not a top 100 player doesn't mean he won't be a very good player. Last I checked, Kalscheur wasn't terribly highly-recruited, there was talk on here of red-shirting him on here and now he's one of our best players.

Let's give the kid a chance to show what he can do and improve as a player before we decide he sucks without having seen him step foot on a court. Your mind seems to be made up. And if we get Kobe Brown and/or Hurt, none of it matters.

anyway. I think Pitino sensed some urgency with this class. And with 4 open schollys we were never going to sign 4 guys ranked in the top 250. so I guess this gets the class started. and he probably isn't a guy that we will be able to count on much the first 1 or 2 but im hoping by the time he is an upperclassmen he can be a valuable member of this team

Below are the other teams from the big conferences that have gotten verbals from guys ranked 300 and lower for this cycle. and there isn't a nickels worth of difference in these players that are basically ranked 250 & lower
Penn State-2
Arkansas-2
Iowa State-2
Boston College-2
TT
Northwestern
Souch Carolina
Ol Miss
Miss. State
Syracuse
Nebraska
Oregon State
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Florida

This ^^^

From what I gather, the kid is a good defender, and good in the class room. As long as he works hard, he'll not only make his mark in the rotation, but he'll absolutely make the rest of the team better by having to practice against a solid defensive player. Welcome aboard, Tre! Happy to have you.

I could care less where he is ranked before college by some internet site. The Gopher staff is not using those sites to decide they like somebody. I care where they stand after 4 years and what they have won as a team. There are hundreds of examples of guys ranked low or unranked that surpassed 90% of the guys ranked above them. The blue bloods are not really recruiting, they are selecting known assets. These kinds of recruits the Gophers get are actual scouting, projecting development. High character defenders go a long way. Jeter knows all too well how that formula works in the conference. Welcome aboard young man, go for it !

I could care less where he is ranked before college by some internet site. The Gopher staff is not using those sites to decide they like somebody. I care where they stand after 4 years and what they have won as a team. There are hundreds of examples of guys ranked low or unranked that surpassed 90% of the guys ranked above them. The blue bloods are not really recruiting, they are selecting known assets. These kinds of recruits the Gophers get are actual scouting, projecting development. High character defenders go a long way. Jeter knows all too well how that formula works in the conference. Welcome aboard young man, go for it !

100% Good post.

i didn't realize that ucla, oklahoma, usc and some other big names were after tre. this is a big pick up for us. pumped.

Where did his Mom get that list of schools?

If there is any legitimacy to it, he is a good get.

They may have contacted him, but no evidence of offers

I don't worry about it.

Chances are they got at least an initial inquiry about interest in those schools, perhaps even contact and discussion with the coaches but never an offer. I'm certain she is not making up the list- it is just a list of schools they considered through the process.

Thank you for a thoughtful response based off reasoning and not emotion triggered from a recruitment website.

You get ripped a lot on this board for your open respect of Bennett and Gaard, but the bottom line is they build their program with these type of kids, high character and plus defenders. Am I ready to crown Tre as a 1st team all defense just yet? No, but let's give the kid a chance. To me, he strikes me as a recruit with a fairly high floor due to his motor and character. If he ends up having a higher ceiling than the recruiting "experts " seem to think, he will be a very solid get and an important piece in this program.

Agreed

What a strange reaction.

This is a fan message board, not our responsibility to "welcome a young man" to our program.

EG's post was totally fair and his concern is justified. Tre's recruiting profile absolutely stinks compared to other B1G commits thus far. That is a fact.

Feel free to react any way you choose and I'll do the same. If you have an issue with 2019 recruiting, go to that thread and vent. This thread is meant to congratulate the kid on choosing to come to the U. Is it his fault that he doesn't meet your recruiting standards? Have you seen him play? Has EG? Are the so called "recruiting experts" always right? When I visit this board every day...as I have for the last 25 years when Jason Groth first started this site, why is every single thread littered with cynical posters always looking for the next thing to complain about?

And by the way, as a Gopher fan, it IS your responsibility to support and cheer for the kids that choose to become Gophers. If the entire world as a Gopher basketball fan is predicated on how other people evaluate heart and talent, we would've never had the joy of watching the likes of Dusty Rychart. Grown men coming anonymously to a message board to bash people they know absolutely NOTHING about is embarrassing and belittling to the other Gopher fans who appreciate when a kid wants the chance to come and make his mark at the University of Minnesota.

Welcome, Tre'...can't wait to see you in Maroon and Gold!!!!

Kalscheur was a 3 star guard with a 0.8968 rating from 247. Williams is a 3 star guard with a 0.8628 rating from 247. These ratings and numbers mean nothing after about 125-150, honestly. People get so hung up on numbers and ratings.

Feel free to react any way you choose and I'll do the same. If you have an issue with 2019 recruiting, go to that thread and vent. This thread is meant to congratulate the kid on choosing to come to the U. Is it his fault that he doesn't meet your recruiting standards? Have you seen him play? Has EG? Are the so called "recruiting experts" always right? When I visit this board every day...as I have for the last 25 years when Jason Groth first started this site, why is every single thread littered with cynical posters always looking for the next thing to complain about?

And by the way, as a Gopher fan, it IS your responsibility to support and cheer for the kids that choose to become Gophers. If the entire world as a Gopher basketball fan is predicated on how other people evaluate heart and talent, we would've never had the joy of watching the likes of Dusty Rychart. Grown men coming anonymously to a message board to bash people they know absolutely NOTHING about is embarrassing and belittling to the other Gopher fans who appreciate when a kid wants the chance to come and make his mark at the University of Minnesota.

Couldn’t agree more. Welcome aboard Tre!

Recruiting matters. If you consistently get the top rated recruits in the country (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc) you will be very good every year. The Gophers aren't at that level. They can take kids who aren't projected as one and done and develop them over a few years to become what they need. Is Tre Williams going to the NBA? Doubtful. But that is true about nearly every recruit. He might not start as a freshman, or at all, but it doesn't mean he can't give us meaningful minutes! I want kids who want to be here. If the coaches who have seen him play and are putting their careers on the line by recruiting him think he is worth a scholarship I'll give them the chance to prove it.

Michael Hurt is a rotation guy as a junior. He isn't a world beater. He isn't our best player. Yet most people are cool with having him on this roster. He was .8679 3 star ranked 216. Per this thread, Williams is a .8628 3 star. The difference? People here had seen Hurt play and liked his game (or at least his brothers game). I'm not saying Williams=Hurt, I'm saying lets give the kid the chance to show up and play.

Welcome Tre, please be so good your picture hangs from the rafters someday. And if not, at least try super hard and be a good person.

It's a relief to have a commitment, I love it when kids choose Minnesota! I've been impressed with Pitino's ability to identify talent and to develop players. Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy were 150+ 3-star players, and they both earned all-conference honors. So many players get inflated recruiting ratings because of one or two opinions gathered from summer league basketball. I have no knowledge whatsoever of Tre Williams, but I like that the staff is excited to have him, and I'm sure he'll have every opportunity to be a contributor. Let's get some more!

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I view Gopherhole as a place for healthy discussion and debate for all things Gopher football and basketball related. Of course I will support each and every kid who dons the maroon and gold.

Nothing in EG's post should've upset you to this level. It's completely normal to question the bonafides of an incoming recruit on a fan message board. Nothing was "bashing, embarrassing, belittling". Lighten up Francis.

I've been coming to this site for 25 years as well, but have never thought to throw that in as a bizarre attempt to establish a level of credibility over someone who disagrees with me.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I view Gopherhole as a place for healthy discussion and debate for all things Gopher football and basketball related. Of course I will support each and every kid who dons the maroon and gold.

Nothing in EG's post should've upset you to this level. It's completely normal to question the bonafides of an incoming recruit on a fan message board. Nothing was "bashing, embarrassing, belittling". Lighten up Francis.

I've been coming to this site for 25 years as well, but have never thought to throw that in as a bizarre attempt to establish a level of credibility over someone who disagrees with me.

His "Plan Z" talk was a bit over the top. He acted like his other offers were to D3 schools.

His "Plan Z" talk was a bit over the top. He acted like his other offers were to D3 schools.

OK yea that's a fair point, bit of hyperbole there.

Speaking of hyperbole- think 20 years instead of 25 years would be more accurate. I was 10 years old in 1993 plus I don't think Gopherhole was around back in the days of Encarta and MS Dos :)

Some of the schools that have commitments from players ranked lower than Williams: Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, Penn St, Ole Miss, Marquette, Syracuse, Kansas St, and Florida.

David Roddy is a zero star, no ratting on 247 as an example. I'll choose to let it play out.

I was looking up everyone's summer crush Geno Crandall ranking in the 2014 class, mostly NR, below the 247 on the 247 list and I never saw a number next to his name. This doesn't prove a thing but maybe we don't KNOW what the future holds.

Top Bottom