Greder: Tyler Johnson can rightfully feel snubbed by being left off semifinalist list

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I say eff'em and get the stats that beats whoever wins it. I feel bad for the Gopher players not getting the respect they deserve.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I might question how they came up with their field if Johnson's numbers fall right in the middle of it. Looking at overall receiving stats for the FBS he ranks:

14th in Yards
15th in Yards per Game
25th in Receptions per Game
9th in Touchdowns

TJ is having a heck of a year but looking at those ranks I can see why he would not have made the top 11. I don't know enough about the 11 guys they picked to comment on whether they belong in that group or not. 4 of them are from the Big 12 where they are not allowed to play defense so that isn't too shocking.

Assuming he continues to grow in the position I would not be shocked to see him up their with the finalists next year for this award.

I love #6. He's great, and I wouldn't trade him for anybody. But he struggles with drops more than some guys, and that probably works against him.

I love #6. He's great, and I wouldn't trade him for anybody. But he struggles with drops more than some guys, and that probably works against him.

I'm trying to imagine what his stats would look like if he hauled in many of those drops. He'd have something like 10-11 more receptions, 150+more yards, and likely ~2 more tds. Hard to imagine not being considered a finalist if was more consistent.

I might question how they came up with their field if Johnson's numbers fall right in the middle of it. Looking at overall receiving stats for the FBS he ranks:

14th in Yards
15th in Yards per Game
25th in Receptions per Game
9th in Touchdowns

TJ is having a heck of a year but looking at those ranks I can see why he would not have made the top 11. I don't know enough about the 11 guys they picked to comment on whether they belong in that group or not. 4 of them are from the Big 12 where they are not allowed to play defense so that isn't too shocking.

Assuming he continues to grow in the position I would not be shocked to see him up their with the finalists next year for this award.

Where does the Purdue guy on that list rank? Bet Johnson ranks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does the Purdue guy on that list rank? Bet Johnson ranks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be correct in that bet. Their numbers are actually very similar but here is the breakdown
Yards
14th Johnson - 948
21st Moore - 909

Yards per game
15th Johnson - 94.8
21st Moore - 90.9

Receptions per game - without the drops Johnson would probably be about even here.
1st - Moore - 8.2
25th - Johnson - 6.2

Touchdowns
Tied for 9th - Johnson - 9
Tied for 20th - Moore - 8

As WR (the only thing that should matter for this particular award) Johnson absolutely should have gotten the nod over Moore. Where Moore blows everyone one away is in All Purpose Yards where he is #3 in the country at 172 yards a game. That shouldn't matter when picking the best wide receiver but it is a big part of the reason that Moore is much more well known around the country.

If TJ continue his growth next season and works on lowering ball drops, I don't see how he will be left off the list.

More importantly, if he fixes the drop balls NFL teams are going to be on him like flies on a dead horse.

If TJ continue his growth next season and works on lowering ball drops, I don't see how he will be left off the list.

More importantly, if he fixes the drop balls NFL teams are going to be on him like flies on a dead horse.

So, it must be like practicing free throws all off season. Come back with superglue fingers #6!

For some reason, I have a feeling he'd be on the list if MN was a "helmet school" or if we were 7-3.

For some reason, I have a feeling he'd be on the list if MN was a "helmet school" or if we were 7-3.

Maybe, but the Rondell Moore thing kind of disputes that since Purdue is certainly not a helmet school and has the same record as us. Johnson isn't flashy so I think it is easy for a guy like him to fly under the radar. His #'s are really good but not eye popping on a National level. We notice here because he has been so much better than what we have been used to seeing at the WR position for quite a while.

Top Bottom