Tyler Johnson pass

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I was thinking about the game and remember Johnson throwing a pass deep down field to a well covered receiver. This play did not work but I liked it. Nice wrinkle. I feel like we’ve seen more of these types of plays this season. And a few have worked.

I like chocolate.

The point of that play is to either have no one near the receiver or the coverage biting on the screen and going back to play their man but being too far out of position.

Neither of those happened. Johnson threw into double coverage and we were lucky it wasn't picked off. I'm glad they're getting more creative on offense but that play shouldn't be ran unless they know there is a good chance the receiver is wide open. They also should have given Johnson a plan for if the receiver was covered. I'd much rather let him get tackled for a loss than risk an interception.

The point of that play is to either have no one near the receiver or the coverage biting on the screen and going back to play their man but being too far out of position.

Neither of those happened. Johnson threw into double coverage and we were lucky it wasn't picked off. I'm glad they're getting more creative on offense but that play shouldn't be ran unless they know there is a good chance the receiver is wide open. They also should have given Johnson a plan for if the receiver was covered. I'd much rather let him get tackled for a loss than risk an interception.

I completely agree. I liked the call, not the execution.

Well he always has the option to throw it away.

Not sure that is true, in the NFL only the person who takes the snap can legally ground the ball. (Not sure on College rule) I'm sure he has options, but he likely was confident in himself and the WR.

Sure, but that was a situation where he should have thrown it away and didn't. He should have been told to throw it away or take the TFL if there was a defender within 5 yards of the receiver.

I completely agree. I liked the call, not the execution.

Going out on a limb here but I would bet TJ was probably informed by the coaches that should that situation present itself again, don't make that throw, just run it and get whatever yards you can.

Are you sure? Nothing stated in official NFL rule book about needing to take the snap.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/#section-2-intentional-grounding

Saw it called this weekend and Dean Blandino said it was right call. I just can't remember if it was pro or college. I found this.

Here’s the full intentional grounding rule from the NCAA.

An offensive player can’t throw a forward pass if his entire body is beyond the line of scrimmage. The offense can’t throw two forward passes on any play. The defense can’t throw one, and there can’t be a forward pass after a change of possession on a given play. You already know all of that. Now, relevant excerpts from the rulebook:

A forward pass is illegal if:

-The passer to conserve time throws the ball directly to the ground (1) after the ball has already touched the ground; or (2) not immediately after controlling the ball.

-The passer to conserve time throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver.

-The passer to conserve yardage throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver.

But there’s an important exception:

It is not a foul if the passer is or has been outside the tackle box and throws the ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral zone or neutral zone extended.

And then there’s an exception to the exception:

This applies only to the player who controls the snap or the resulting backward pass and does not relinquish possession to another player before throwing the forward pass.

Last edited:

Going out on a limb here but I would bet TJ was probably informed by the coaches that should that situation present itself again, don't make that throw, just run it and get whatever yards you can.

I'd hope so. I'm guessing he was told beforehand not to throw if he wasn't open and thought he could throw him open or that he just panicked a bit. Playing quarterback in high school is a different speed than the Big Ten.

I still stand by I like the call.

I'm ok with trying something, but the whole play felt poorly executed. I don't know what it was, but from when Morgan first released the initial backwards pass, I was already thinking "it's a trick play, the receiver is going to throw it." Again, not sure if it was the blocking or Johnson 's body language that tipped me off, but I feel like the play needstoo be sold such that when Johnson throws it I think "holy crap!, hes passing it, didn't see that coming."

I'd hope so. I'm guessing he was told beforehand not to throw if he wasn't open and thought he could throw him open or that he just panicked a bit. Playing quarterback in high school is a different speed than the Big Ten.

I still stand by I like the call.

I like the call as well but yeah I would bet he was told not to throw it if the receiver was covered and he did it anyway.

Purdue was in a different coverage than they were expecting.

Saw it called this weekend and Dean Blandino said it was right call. I just can't remember if it was pro or college. I found this.

Here’s the full intentional grounding rule from the NCAA.

An offensive player can’t throw a forward pass if his entire body is beyond the line of scrimmage. The offense can’t throw two forward passes on any play. The defense can’t throw one, and there can’t be a forward pass after a change of possession on a given play. You already know all of that. Now, relevant excerpts from the rulebook:

A forward pass is illegal if:

-The passer to conserve time throws the ball directly to the ground (1) after the ball has already touched the ground; or (2) not immediately after controlling the ball.

-The passer to conserve time throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver.

-The passer to conserve yardage throws the ball forward into an area where there is no eligible Team A receiver.

But there’s an important exception:

It is not a foul if the passer is or has been outside the tackle box and throws the ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral zone or neutral zone extended.

And then there’s an exception to the exception:

This applies only to the player who controls the snap or the resulting backward pass and does not relinquish possession to another player before throwing the forward pass.

You are right, it was the Clemson/BC game. Don’t know if it was Blandino, but was a rules expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This play works if we keep hammering the bubble/jailbreak screen all day and it works. Then the D cheats up and then this plays works. I liken it similar to the fake bubble screen and hitting the post when the secondary bites hard on the bubble.

This play did not work but I like the call. Definitely makes upcoming opponents think a bit

He was a QB in HS. I don't see why this is a bad decision, though I have not seen the actual play.

He was a QB in HS. I don't see why this is a bad decision, though I have not seen the actual play.

He threw a deep pass into double coverage. Fortunate it wasn’t picked off. Yes, he was a high school QB. But it was a bad throw

Waiting for the Seth Green end around pass they pulled in the spring game.

That's right Kirk, I haven't forgotten ;)

I'm ok with trying something, but the whole play felt poorly executed. I don't know what it was, but from when Morgan first released the initial backwards pass, I was already thinking "it's a trick play, the receiver is going to throw it." Again, not sure if it was the blocking or Johnson 's body language that tipped me off, but I feel like the play needstoo be sold such that when Johnson throws it I think "holy crap!, hes passing it, didn't see that coming."

To be fair those double passes always are easy to sniff out when you are watching on TV because it is obvious the pass is backward from the TV vantage point. But on the field, it is very difficult to tell.

To be fair those double passes always are easy to sniff out when you are watching on TV because it is obvious the pass is backward from the TV vantage point. But on the field, it is very difficult to tell.

I wasn't on TV, but I was in the upper deck at the stadium, so maybe the same principle applies.

Top Bottom