Senior Day!

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Thanks to those that will be ending ending careers this Saturday. Saw this tweet.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3 Jerry Gibson DL 6-3 260 R-Sr. Theodore, Ala. / Theodore
19 Gary Moore DL 6-4 300 R-Sr. Mobile, Ala. / Murphy
25 Payton Jordahl LS 6-2 230 R-Sr. Perham, Minn. / Perham
38 Emmit Carpenter K 6-0 200 R-Sr. Green Bay, Wis. / Ashwaubenon
62 Jared Weyler OL 6-4 300 R-Sr. Dayton, Ohio / Centerville
73 Donnell Greene OL 6-7 320 R-Sr. Marietta, Ga. / Kell Coffeyville CC
99 O.J. Smith DL 6-2 320 R-Sr. Bossier City, La. / Airline Alabama
2 Jacob Huff DB 5-11 210 Sr. Bolingbrook, Ill. / Bolingbrook
20 Julian Huff LB 6-0 225 Sr. Bolingbrook, Ill. / Bolingbrook
34 Antonio Shenault DB 5-11 190 Sr. Roselle, Ill. / Lake Park
36 Blake Cashman LB 6-2 235 Sr. Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie

Everyone of these guys has contributed.

Last edited:

Those completing 4th year of college football

6 Chris Williamson DB 6-0 200 R-Jr. Atlanta, Ga. / Gainesville Florida
27 Paul Gossage WR 6-3 185 R-Jr. Mokena, Ill. / Lincoln-Way East Eastern Illinois
28 Jonathan Femi-Cole RB 6-0 225 R-Jr. Vaughan, Ontario, Canada / St. Andrew's College
44 Colton Beebe TE 6-3 265 R-Jr. Kansas City, Kan. / Piper
46 Winston DeLattiboudere DL 6-3 250 R-Jr. Baltimore, Md. / Howard
46 Alex Melvin P 6-4 205 R-Jr. Burnet, Texas / Burnet SMU
47 Jacob Herbers P 6-2 215 R-Jr. Battle Creek, Mich. / Lakeview
58 Quinn Oseland OL 6-6 305 R-Jr. Springfield, Ill. / Sacred Heart Griffin
61 Bronson Dovich OL 6-5 300 R-Jr. Chaska, Minn. / Chaska
85 Bryce Witham TE 6-4 255 R-Jr. Grand Rapids, Mich. / West Catholic
89 Matt Morse WR 6-1 195 R-Jr. Apple Valley, Minn. / Apple Valley
90 Sam Renner DL 6-4 270 R-Jr. Maple Grove, Minn. / Maple Grove Senior
97 Royal Silver DL 6-3 300 R-Jr. Cedar Rapids, Iowa / Washington Iowa Western CC

It's always interesting looking at this list and then thinking back to their signing days. Of course in my mind I had them all as big-time sleepers who will be All-Big Ten by their senior seasons.
I hope they have all enjoyed their football careers here and are glad they made the decision to come to the U of M. I also hope they become great ambassadors for Gopher football in the future.
And, if they have children who turn out to be 4-5* recruits they will be proud to send them here. Because if they don't we will send an angry pitchfork mob to their houses and blast them on MySpace (ya, it makes a comeback in the future.)

I'm not sure if this was done in years past, but the thank you from the Seniors are pretty cool.
https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...tm_content=headlines&utm_campaign=GopherDaily
Emmit Carpenter: To my mom, dad and sister, I can't thank you enough for all of your love and support, especially in these last four and a half years at the University of Minnesota. From traveling to every game, both home and away, to the Saturday morning phone call traditions, it all means the world to me. Through the highs and the lows, thank you for believing in me and pushing me to be the person I have grown into on and off the field. I wouldn't be where I am without your endless support. Every field goal, PAT and kickoff was for you guys.

Blake Cashman: There are so many people I owe thanks to when it comes to my experience as a Golden Gopher. I want to especially thank all of my teammates through my career. The relationships I've built and the moments I've shared with them on and off the field have made my time here truly amazing. I will cherish all the experiences with my teammates forever.

Jerry Gibson: My time here has been very adventurous. I have a lot of people to thank, but thank you to those who took a chance on me.
Donnell Greene: I would like to thank my parents for always pushing me to strive to reach all of my goals, for sacrificing their time to attend every game home or away. Thanks to my sisters for continually supporting me emotionally and attending every Gopher game I've played in. I would like to say a huge thank you to the academic staff that we have (Robert Day, Jackie Lienesch, Kim Halgren, and Mary Marruggi) that work with us and keep pushing forward us when times are hard academically. Lastly, thanks to all of my various coaches and the Gopher fans that have encouraged me to excel on the field and in the classroom.

Jacob Huff: First, I would like to thank all my family members who got me to this point. I really couldn't do it without them. I want to thank my mother and father for their constant love and support for me that can never be matched. Secondly, I'd like to thank all of the coaches I have had in the past from both youth to college. It hasn't always been perfect, however, you guys believed in me and invested so much that I could never repay. Lastly, all of the people at this university, friends and everyone I have encountered in my four years. You have all helped mold me as a man, and created an incredible experience that I will forever be grateful for. Thank you always and forever!

Julian Huff: I'd like to thank my parents. Though my four years here I can't fathom the amount of support and encouragement received from my mother and father. At times of hardship, I always knew where to go to persevere. At times of accomplishment, I always knew who I wanted to tell first. Without you both, I wouldn't have Minnesota, I wouldn't have football, and I wouldn't have an exciting future ahead of me. Thank you for everything you've done and I'll always continue to strive to make you proud. Love, Julian

Payton Jordahl: Thank you to my family and friends for being extremely supportive and always being there for me. It has been an honor to play for my home state and I will never forget my time here!

Gary Moore: I want to thank my family and friends for supporting me throughout my journey at the University of Minnesota. First, I want to thank Stephanie Shuey in academics for believing in me and never giving up on me. She has helped shape my learning and pushed me on my way throughout my undergrad career. If it wasn't for her supporting me, I'm not sure where I would be. Lastly, I would like to thank my teammate, Payton Jordahl. He has always helped me see the bigger picture even when I didn't want to. He has pushed me in ways I didn't know were possible and helped me choose my career path as well. Without them constantly supporting me, my time here would not be the same.

Antonio Shenault: I just want to say thank you to my older siblings: Karla, Franko, Nikki, and Ashly. You guys may not know it, but you were my rock throughout my four years here. When everything else in life seemed to waver, you guys never did. I hope I made you guys proud, and I love you all.

Rodney Smith: I want to thank my parents and teammates for helping me during my time here at the University of Minnesota. It's been a long journey, and it isn't over for me here. Both my parents and teammates have helped me sustain a healthy mind while being here and growing as a young man, while also learning many different things. My parents consistently made sacrifices so they could make trips back and forth from Georgia to come to games and whatever I asked them to attend. I've also made many relationships with teammates that will carry on long after I leave here. I know that all of my teammates will always have my back and I'm sure they know I'll always have their back as well.

Jared Weyler: I want to thank my parents for always being there for me and supporting me in the ups and the downs. Without their continuous love and support I would not have been able to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine of playing in the Big Ten and earning a degree from one of the best business schools in the country. I will always be grateful for the constant love and support my parents give to me. Love ya, Mom and Dad!

Those completing 4th year of college football

6 Chris Williamson DB 6-0 200 R-Jr. Atlanta, Ga. / Gainesville Florida
27 Paul Gossage WR 6-3 185 R-Jr. Mokena, Ill. / Lincoln-Way East Eastern Illinois
28 Jonathan Femi-Cole RB 6-0 225 R-Jr. Vaughan, Ontario, Canada / St. Andrew's College
44 Colton Beebe TE 6-3 265 R-Jr. Kansas City, Kan. / Piper
46 Winston DeLattiboudere DL 6-3 250 R-Jr. Baltimore, Md. / Howard
46 Alex Melvin P 6-4 205 R-Jr. Burnet, Texas / Burnet SMU
47 Jacob Herbers P 6-2 215 R-Jr. Battle Creek, Mich. / Lakeview
58 Quinn Oseland OL 6-6 305 R-Jr. Springfield, Ill. / Sacred Heart Griffin
61 Bronson Dovich OL 6-5 300 R-Jr. Chaska, Minn. / Chaska
85 Bryce Witham TE 6-4 255 R-Jr. Grand Rapids, Mich. / West Catholic
89 Matt Morse WR 6-1 195 R-Jr. Apple Valley, Minn. / Apple Valley
90 Sam Renner DL 6-4 270 R-Jr. Maple Grove, Minn. / Maple Grove Senior
97 Royal Silver DL 6-3 300 R-Jr. Cedar Rapids, Iowa / Washington Iowa Western CC

Are you saying all of these guys are done playing?

No, but some may choose to move on if graduating.

Based on what I saw on Twitter, there's discussion on another message board about the coaches gently encouraging -- or not gently -- a few of the four-year guys to participate in Senior Day. That's not unusual, but it sounds like some of the guys or their parents are not happy about it. No, I don't have access to the other board and I don't know who they're talking about, although we could make some educated guesses.

I hate senior day. Sad to see careers end, especially with guys you've rooted for the past 3-4-5 years. Lots of talent leaving this team after this year.

Tickets are now available for $25 from the box office.

3 Jerry Gibson DL 6-3 260 R-Sr. Theodore, Ala. / Theodore
19 Gary Moore DL 6-4 300 R-Sr. Mobile, Ala. / Murphy
25 Payton Jordahl LS 6-2 230 R-Sr. Perham, Minn. / Perham
38 Emmit Carpenter K 6-0 200 R-Sr. Green Bay, Wis. / Ashwaubenon
62 Jared Weyler OL 6-4 300 R-Sr. Dayton, Ohio / Centerville
73 Donnell Greene OL 6-7 320 R-Sr. Marietta, Ga. / Kell Coffeyville CC
99 O.J. Smith DL 6-2 320 R-Sr. Bossier City, La. / Airline Alabama
2 Jacob Huff DB 5-11 210 Sr. Bolingbrook, Ill. / Bolingbrook
20 Julian Huff LB 6-0 225 Sr. Bolingbrook, Ill. / Bolingbrook
34 Antonio Shenault DB 5-11 190 Sr. Roselle, Ill. / Lake Park
36 Blake Cashman LB 6-2 235 Sr. Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie

Everyone of these guys has contributed.

OJ Smith is listed as a senior but he has another year of eligibility.

I'm not sure if this was done in years past, but the thank you from the Seniors are pretty cool.
https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...tm_content=headlines&utm_campaign=GopherDaily
Emmit Carpenter: To my mom, dad and sister, I can't thank you enough for all of your love and support, especially in these last four and a half years at the University of Minnesota. From traveling to every game, both home and away, to the Saturday morning phone call traditions, it all means the world to me. Through the highs and the lows, thank you for believing in me and pushing me to be the person I have grown into on and off the field. I wouldn't be where I am without your endless support. Every field goal, PAT and kickoff was for you guys.

Blake Cashman: There are so many people I owe thanks to when it comes to my experience as a Golden Gopher. I want to especially thank all of my teammates through my career. The relationships I've built and the moments I've shared with them on and off the field have made my time here truly amazing. I will cherish all the experiences with my teammates forever.

Jerry Gibson: My time here has been very adventurous. I have a lot of people to thank, but thank you to those who took a chance on me.
Donnell Greene: I would like to thank my parents for always pushing me to strive to reach all of my goals, for sacrificing their time to attend every game home or away. Thanks to my sisters for continually supporting me emotionally and attending every Gopher game I've played in. I would like to say a huge thank you to the academic staff that we have (Robert Day, Jackie Lienesch, Kim Halgren, and Mary Marruggi) that work with us and keep pushing forward us when times are hard academically. Lastly, thanks to all of my various coaches and the Gopher fans that have encouraged me to excel on the field and in the classroom.

Jacob Huff: First, I would like to thank all my family members who got me to this point. I really couldn't do it without them. I want to thank my mother and father for their constant love and support for me that can never be matched. Secondly, I'd like to thank all of the coaches I have had in the past from both youth to college. It hasn't always been perfect, however, you guys believed in me and invested so much that I could never repay. Lastly, all of the people at this university, friends and everyone I have encountered in my four years. You have all helped mold me as a man, and created an incredible experience that I will forever be grateful for. Thank you always and forever!

Julian Huff: I'd like to thank my parents. Though my four years here I can't fathom the amount of support and encouragement received from my mother and father. At times of hardship, I always knew where to go to persevere. At times of accomplishment, I always knew who I wanted to tell first. Without you both, I wouldn't have Minnesota, I wouldn't have football, and I wouldn't have an exciting future ahead of me. Thank you for everything you've done and I'll always continue to strive to make you proud. Love, Julian

Payton Jordahl: Thank you to my family and friends for being extremely supportive and always being there for me. It has been an honor to play for my home state and I will never forget my time here!

Gary Moore: I want to thank my family and friends for supporting me throughout my journey at the University of Minnesota. First, I want to thank Stephanie Shuey in academics for believing in me and never giving up on me. She has helped shape my learning and pushed me on my way throughout my undergrad career. If it wasn't for her supporting me, I'm not sure where I would be. Lastly, I would like to thank my teammate, Payton Jordahl. He has always helped me see the bigger picture even when I didn't want to. He has pushed me in ways I didn't know were possible and helped me choose my career path as well. Without them constantly supporting me, my time here would not be the same.

Antonio Shenault: I just want to say thank you to my older siblings: Karla, Franko, Nikki, and Ashly. You guys may not know it, but you were my rock throughout my four years here. When everything else in life seemed to waver, you guys never did. I hope I made you guys proud, and I love you all.

Rodney Smith: I want to thank my parents and teammates for helping me during my time here at the University of Minnesota. It's been a long journey, and it isn't over for me here. Both my parents and teammates have helped me sustain a healthy mind while being here and growing as a young man, while also learning many different things. My parents consistently made sacrifices so they could make trips back and forth from Georgia to come to games and whatever I asked them to attend. I've also made many relationships with teammates that will carry on long after I leave here. I know that all of my teammates will always have my back and I'm sure they know I'll always have their back as well.

Jared Weyler: I want to thank my parents for always being there for me and supporting me in the ups and the downs. Without their continuous love and support I would not have been able to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine of playing in the Big Ten and earning a degree from one of the best business schools in the country. I will always be grateful for the constant love and support my parents give to me. Love ya, Mom and Dad!

Some amazing stuff here.

The twins don't throw any love to each other...goes without saying, but I got a chuckle. Always a unique and nearly unbreakable bond.

Love Gary Moore's...very personal.

Hoping Dovich, Oselund, and Williamson will return.
Williamson has been playing really well lately.

The twins don't throw any love to each other...goes without saying, but I got a chuckle. Always a unique and nearly unbreakable bond.

Love Gary Moore's...very personal.

Yes on Gary Moore. Reading it made me think that this is exactly what college athletics is about! I don't know a thing about his past, but it sounds like he wouldn't have gone to (and presumably be about to graduate from) college without football. That's amazing.

These are awesome. I love/hate senior day. As a parent, this part of Julian Huff's statement hits me: "At times of accomplishment, I always knew who I wanted to tell first." :cry:

I agree great stuff. I am always amazed by the guys that stick it out for 4-5 years and never play and their perspective on being part of the team.

The team or the program doesn't function without these guys. It's easy to forget sometimes, almost every one of these guys was a HS team captain, All-Conference, even All-State talent. You've gone your whole life and football career being a team star and I've seen a lot of guys come in, see that they aren't going to make it, and walk away. And that's perfectly fine because school is hard enough when you're not devoting a full portion of your life to practice and other team activities.

But to come in, see that you're likely not going to achieve those lofty dreams/goals, and stick it out for 4 years, put in the work all year round, stay with your guys, and finish things out is something that just has to be recognized and applauded. Every year at this time I remember to recognize these guys that make that sacrifice.

Well done!!! You will never regret that time you spent side by side with your fellow teammates.

In a perfect world, you would like the players who have an option to make the decision on their own with no pressure. If player X wants to come back, I say he should have the right to come back. But, in the real world, coaches sometimes make decisions based on other factors. Maybe player X is destined to sit on the bench and not make a meaningful contribution. The coach would like to free up the scholarship to bring in a (presumably) better and younger player.

so, in that case, the coach certainly has the right to sit down with player X and explain the situation. but, I maintain that, if Player X wants to return, he should have that right. I don't want to see any player forced out against his will. I'm sure it happens at plenty of programs, but I'm still enough of an idealist that I hope it doesn't happen at the U of MN.

In a perfect world, you would like the players who have an option to make the decision on their own with no pressure. If player X wants to come back, I say he should have the right to come back. But, in the real world, coaches sometimes make decisions based on other factors. Maybe player X is destined to sit on the bench and not make a meaningful contribution. The coach would like to free up the scholarship to bring in a (presumably) better and younger player.

so, in that case, the coach certainly has the right to sit down with player X and explain the situation. but, I maintain that, if Player X wants to return, he should have that right. I don't want to see any player forced out against his will. I'm sure it happens at plenty of programs, but I'm still enough of an idealist that I hope it doesn't happen at the U of MN.

I have a personal take on this. Little unique that it happened at the Air Force academy. My son went to the Academy and played football there, actually it is what got him in the door. For two years didn't play, but was working his way up the depth chart, then a coaching staff change and never really got another chance. Told he could stay and dress for home games and probably never play or walk away. With the rigors of the Academy he chose to walk away. Of course at the Academy, there are no sports scholarships, everybody there doesn't pay for school, just serve a minimum of 6 years. My point is that these conversations take place all of the time and at all the schools. I admire the kids that stay all 4 years and not play, but I understand those that walk away.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Interesting in this video for senior day that Beebe and Femi-Cole have short spot lights. Purely speculation, but it could mean this will be their last season.
Can't say I'm surprised at all if Femi-Cole were to pass up on his 5th year. But, I would be a little surprised and sad to see Beebe go. The guy is a one man wrecking crew in the run game, love having him paving the way.

Beebe and Dovich ended careers today.

Top Bottom