RandBall: It's a week of statement games for Minnesota teams (Saturday: NW at MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

Welcome to the Tuesday edition of The Cooler, where sometimes a broad label fits nicely. Let’s get to it:

*This is an interesting week in local sports, and I don’t mean that in the way that your Minnesota mom says “interesting” to describe a young man’s Fortnite face tattoo she just saw at the grocery story.

Dare I say five different teams have STATEMENT GAMES — those nebulous contests that basically count the same in the standings but have more contextual meaning than others — this week.

*Now fast-forward to Saturday. You might look at the Gophers football team’s game against Big Ten West-leading Northwestern as too daunting a task to take seriously, but let’s examine the Wildcats a little more. They’re 6-1 in the Big Ten, sure, but they’re just 6-4 overall. And four of their conference wins came by four points or fewer. This is a game in which the Gophers should be able to compete. This is a chance to become bowl-eligible, surpass last year’s win total, turn some heads and build more momentum after last week’s 41-10 victory.

http://www.startribune.com/its-a-week-of-statement-games-for-minnesota-teams/500386001/

Go Gophers!!

NW is a stepping stone to the statement game. Getting the Axe back is really making a statement.

Yeah, I don't think a win over Northwestern would get into statement territory. A win over Wisconsin the following week certainly would be though.

Statement or not though, another strong performance by the defense and back to back wins in November would be huge for the program as a whole.

winning out is a statement...beat the cats, get the axe back and win a bowl game.

Top Bottom