RandBall: It's a week of statement games for Minnesota teams (Monday: Utah at MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

Welcome to the Tuesday edition of The Cooler, where sometimes a broad label fits nicely. Let’s get to it:

*This is an interesting week in local sports, and I don’t mean that in the way that your Minnesota mom says “interesting” to describe a young man’s Fortnite face tattoo she just saw at the grocery story.

Dare I say five different teams have STATEMENT GAMES — those nebulous contests that basically count the same in the standings but have more contextual meaning than others — this week.

It started Monday, with the Gophers men’s basketball team handling Utah 78-69 at Williams Arena. Now, the Utes aren’t Duke or Kentucky, but they are at least a quality opponent. Minnesota didn’t blow Utah out, but it was in control for the vast majority of the game. Furthermore, the Gophers again received key contributions from freshmen — including the underrated (but not for long)Gabe Kalscheur — in the win. If the Gophers want to be a tournament team at the end of the year, this is the kind of game they need to win. And they checked that box nicely Monday.

http://www.startribune.com/its-a-week-of-statement-games-for-minnesota-teams/500386001/

Go Gophers!!

utah bottom projected bottom half of PAC 12...Should have hammered them at the barn

utah bottom projected bottom half of PAC 12...Should have hammered them at the barn

Because the gophers historically always hammer the bottom half of the big ten at home

Because the gophers historically always hammer the bottom half of the big ten at home

with a little knowledge you would know that the PAC 12 is down this year...For those who actually follow ncaa basketball UTAH lost quite a bit of production from last with only one kid back over 8 PPG and no one over 12ppg..plus lose top rebounder ....I cashed in on the game however expected more from a team with gophs returning production plus newcomers....if you expect the gophers to be low mediocre than you your expectection were met...oh yes i said bottom half pac12 not big ten

To be fair, we were up 15 near the end of the game even though we didn't play that well. I'm also a bit disappointed we didn't step on their throats, but I don't think our bench is good enough yet to "hammer" any average Power 5 team. When we needed to stop any of their runs, we put more starters back in and that was that.

This team needs to add Curry and Carr to the bench in order to reach its potential.

with a little knowledge you would know that the PAC 12 is down this year...For those who actually follow ncaa basketball UTAH lost quite a bit of production from last with only one kid back over 8 PPG and no one over 12ppg..plus lose top rebounder ....I cashed in on the game however expected more from a team with gophs returning production plus newcomers....if you expect the gophers to be low mediocre than you your expectection were met...oh yes i said bottom half pac12 not big ten

Some Gopher fans will never be happy...

I think it was great timing to play Utah last night. Larry Krystkowiak's teams always play hard and physical. I'm glad this was the final matchup before Vancouver, instead of a cupcake mid-major. The new players now have a taste of what to expect next week. The Gophers didn't even play that well, and still handled a Power-5 team with relative ease. I'll take it...

I think it was great timing to play Utah last night. Larry Krystkowiak's teams always play hard and physical. I'm glad this was the final matchup before Vancouver, instead of a cupcake mid-major. The new players now have a taste of what to expect next week. The Gophers didn't even play that well, and still handled a Power-5 team with relative ease. I'll take it...

Utes also played a borderline Wisconsin like slow ball, which forced Gophers into half court. Excellent prep for the better teams they will play later on. Utah is a well coached team that will be in every game they play, even if they don't win them all.

You are clueless regarding Utah's history over the years. I forgive your ignorance.

To be fair, we were up 15 near the end of the game even though we didn't play that well. I'm also a bit disappointed we didn't step on their throats, but I don't think our bench is good enough yet to "hammer" any average Power 5 team. When we needed to stop any of their runs, we put more starters back in and that was that.

This team needs to add Curry and Carr to the bench in order to reach its potential.
Second game and we're relying heavily on two freshmen. Anyone expecting world beaters from this Gopher team is drinking make-believe Kool-aid.

theczar is a troll, not a Gopher fan. Let's be clear on that right now

A healthy Curry would have made a big difference last night. However, I was though more impressed with Matz than I thought I would be. He made some nice contributions. Oturu will be an absolute stud in a year. Team looked good and had fun and won despite not playing their best game

Top Bottom