2020 DE Aaron Witt commits!

Ah, got me there!

I could try to argue something like, Iowa staff previously told him he’d be moving to OL, and then finally came around to letting him play DL. But that’d just be me grasping at straws.

so, using my analogy to marriage, you would be ok with someone getting married, and asking for a divorce 6 weeks later because they decided they weren't really as committed as they thought - or they got a "better offer?"

that why it's not a "commitment" as I define the word.

so, using my analogy to marriage, you would be ok with someone getting married, and asking for a divorce 6 weeks later because they decided they weren't really as committed as they thought - or they got a "better offer?".

Getting married isn’t a fair analogy in my book, because it elicits strong emotions from most people and isn’t usually a case where a “better offer” just comes up out of the blue.

Job offers is a fairer comparison, in my opinion.

so, using my analogy to marriage, you would be ok with someone getting married, and asking for a divorce 6 weeks later because they decided they weren't really as committed as they thought - or they got a "better offer?"

So many questions:

Would you say they should stay with someone they don't want to be with?

If they don't want to be with you... you'd want them to stay?

You're comparing marriage to picking a school to go to?

ohzrd5t.jpg

So many questions:

Would you say they should stay with someone they don't want to be with?

If they don't want to be with you... you'd want them to stay?

You're comparing marriage to picking a school to go to?

ohzrd5t.jpg

I'm saying that a marriage is a commitment. Chosing a school is not a commitment - at least not on that level. Which is why I don't think they should call it a "commitment."

if giving verbal preference to a school is a true "commitment," then I believe you are obligated to honor it. I believe a person should stand by their commitments. if it not a true commitment, then call it something else.

hey, I'm old and old-fashioned. I believe that, when you give your word, it means something.

That is what I'm saying. if recruits can change their mind about a school like they're changing their shoes, then that is NOT a commitment in any real sense of the word.

I'm saying that a marriage is a commitment. Chosing a school is not a commitment - at least not on that level. Which is why I don't think they should call it a "commitment."

That’s too steep, I think.

If anything, we need another word for things like marriage. That’s more of the outliar, than selecting a college football team.

Believe it or not, people get divorced. Maybe nothing is a commitment and we should just eliminate the word entirely?

this is why I say we need a different word than "commitment" for recruits who indicate a preference.

I hate to get into another argument over definitions of words, but to me, "commitment" means something long-lasting. It's like the difference between a marriage and a one-night stand. In that sense, if Witt wants to "date" every school in the conference, that's up to him. just don't call it a commitment.

so, what to call it?

off the top of my head, how about "verbal preference?" Or, "verbal pledge?" Like pledging a fraternity. that gives it a college feel. Unless you're pledging Delta House.

The words pledge and commitment mean basically the same thing. The word pledge is even included in one of the definitions of the word commitment.

Getting married isn’t a fair analogy in my book, because it elicits strong emotions from most people and isn’t usually a case where a “better offer” just comes up out of the blue.

I agree with this take. It's the equivalent of accepting a job offer and before you start, having your dream position open for you. Do you look bad to the employer whose offer you accepted if you take that dream job? Sure. But many would do it and it doesn't make them bad people. Nor does it say people who say "my word is my bond and I will keep that first job" are naturally good people. Just difficult decisions people make... and in this case, a high school kid.

No, if it were my son I would kick him in his Arse! You don't make a fool out of yourself, and lose all credibility, by giving your "commitment" and then changing your mind several times.

You don't make a commitment to "just hold a spot". You don't get engaged to a person until someone "better" comes along. Part of the process of growing up is learning that your word is who you are, if your word means nothing than no one can ever count on you for anything! You only commit if you mean it!

If a coach can pull a scholarship when some better players comes along, a player can change his schools. The Wisconsin offer came after the commitment from Iowa. I know Aaron well, and Wisconsin was always going to be the school.

Honestly anyone who cares about this is part of the problem that caused it.
This kid doesn’t commit if he doesn’t want attention. We give him attention.

He uses the word flip in his commitment. Guy is all about people following him. And look at that here we are in a thread about him.

I don’t really care. If you care you should stop following recruiting.

this is why I say we need a different word than "commitment" for recruits who indicate a preference.

I hate to get into another argument over definitions of words, but to me, "commitment" means something long-lasting. It's like the difference between a marriage and a one-night stand. In that sense, if Witt wants to "date" every school in the conference, that's up to him. just don't call it a commitment.

so, what to call it?

off the top of my head, how about "verbal preference?" Or, "verbal pledge?" Like pledging a fraternity. that gives it a college feel. Unless you're pledging Delta House.

Commitment is like getting engaged not married. Signing the LOI is more akin to marriage.

Verbal commitment and engagement are not binding in any way.

If a coach can pull a scholarship when some better players comes along, a player can change his schools. The Wisconsin offer came after the commitment from Iowa. I know Aaron well, and Wisconsin was always going to be the school.

Its still very early in the process. He shouldn't have committed to Minnesota and Iowa then.

I agree with this take. It's the equivalent of accepting a job offer and before you start, having your dream position open for you. Do you look bad to the employer whose offer you accepted if you take that dream job? Sure. But many would do it and it doesn't make them bad people. Nor does it say people who say "my word is my bond and I will keep that first job" are naturally good people. Just difficult decisions people make... and in this case, a high school kid.

So then back to the scenario here ... it would be like if you had two job offers, took the one, but then for some reason changed your mind and took the other, THEN you get your dream offer and change again to that one.

Commitment is like getting engaged not married. Signing the LOI is more akin to marriage.

Verbal commitment and engagement are not binding in any way.

Waaaah! No prenup? He may be back with the Gophers as a transfer before his eligibility clock runs out.

Last edited:

Then why not walk on?

Your post seems to me to imply he was systematically using Minn and then Iowa to force Wisc to offer a scholarship instead of a PWO or Maroon/Blue Shirt (whatever the generic term is).

Getting engaged is the verbal commitment. The wedding is signing day. Before signing day, either party can back out. After signing day, it's a much more difficult separation.

Iowa fans are assholes.

When they got Witt from us, he was great and a huge get.

Now that they lost him, it's really no loss at all.

I love Iowa idiots!

Iowa fans are assholes.

When they got Witt from us, he was great and a huge get.

Now that they lost him, it's really no loss at all.

Go back in this thread and it’s the same thing[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go back in this thread and it’s the same thing[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was going to post the same thing. When a kid commits fans will proclaim they are the second coming of (fill in the blank) as soon as they decommit or go somewhere else they were never going to be that good anyway and we didn't really need/want them.

The safe route is to not get too hyped one way or another about recruits, just wait and see if they actually sign and then reserve any real judgement on them until they get on campus and prove they can play. Because no matter how many stars a kid has next to his name or how flashy his highlight film is there is no guarantee he will actually be able to make the massive jump from high school to college successfully.

Top Bottom