2020 DE Aaron Witt commits!

I"m not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make. Fleck wanted Witt. Witt said no. Fleck tried to change his mind. Witt didn't change his mind. Both moved on. I'm very happy with Gage and Larkins, and definitely fine with Witt moving on. Like I said, Witt is just not elite.

Probably best to hang your hat on those guys that commit 3000% or 200% and also those that are excited enough to get a "Row the Boat" tattoo. Guys that REALLY want to commit to Minnesota.

word is he wasnt gelling with the class and opened things up.

queue the dr scholls jokes in 3...2...1...

I"m not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make. Fleck wanted Witt. Witt said no. Fleck tried to change his mind. Witt didn't change his mind. Both moved on. I'm very happy with Gage and Larkins, and definitely fine with Witt moving on. Like I said, Witt is just not elite.

At one time he said "yes", no?

word is he wasnt gelling with the class and opened things up.

queue the dr scholls jokes in 3...2...1...

How was he jelling with the Hawkeyes during his 1 month commitment?

Not a chance, he is locked into the Big10 West.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Obviously, he’ll sign with Nebraska. Quit the Huskers and transfer to the Gophers...but never enroll.

Thought it was known all along that he grew up a Wisconsin fan and wanted that offer. Strange way to play his recruitment and appears flaky but in the end got the offer he wanted and took it. Easy to tell kids not to commit while they wait on offers but if it was your kid, would you tell him to hold a spot in a class in case that dream offer doesn't come in and protect himself? I think I would. It's the first commit and flip that still makes little sense to me if he was waiting on the Wisconsin offer.

Thought it was known all along that he grew up a Wisconsin fan and wanted that offer. Strange way to play his recruitment and appears flaky but in the end got the offer he wanted and took it. Easy to tell kids not to commit while they wait on offers but if it was your kid, would you tell him to hold a spot in a class in case that dream offer doesn't come in and protect himself? I think I would. It's the first commit and flip that still makes little sense to me if he was waiting on the Wisconsin offer.

If it were my son, I would tell him to gather information until he made a decision that he's committed to honoring. And then, once he announced that decision, I would tell him to stick with it. That's probably just me.

If it were my son, I would tell him to gather information until he made a decision that he's committed to honoring. And then, once he announced that decision, I would tell him to stick with it. That's probably just me.

Nothing wrong with that approach. You just risk classes filling up while you wait for the "dream offer" to come in. I can't blame him either way.

Agree with this. Takes having realistic conversations as well about what chances of obtaining said offers are, which is also hard to do

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've agreed with you several times lately.

Yeah, I've tried to teach my sons to be honorable and trustworthy. As the Bible says, you don't need to swear oaths if you just "let your yes be yes and your no be no." I'd be disappointed in them if they pulled this kind of stunt.

Agree with the sentiment and I would want my kids to handle their recruitment this way as well but it is really easy for us to sit here and say that when we don't have kids in that situation.

I think I would be alright with my kid changing their decision once. Witt is going a bit overboard with now his 3rd "commitment". Maybe this is the big one that he has wanted but if I was a Wisconsin fan I wouldn't feel overly confident in this verbal as he has clearly shown that his "commitment" means nothing and he will gladly switch schools if a better offer comes along.

Right.

I’d be with you if he only committed to Minn and then flipped to Wisc, or only committed to Iowa and then flipped to Wisc.

Given what has ultimately happened, in hindsight it makes zero sense that he committed to Minn and then flipped to Iowa.

No, if it were my son I would kick him in his Arse! You don't make a fool out of yourself, and lose all credibility, by giving your "commitment" and then changing your mind several times.

You don't make a commitment to "just hold a spot". You don't get engaged to a person until someone "better" comes along. Part of the process of growing up is learning that your word is who you are, if your word means nothing than no one can ever count on you for anything! You only commit if you mean it!

You don't make a commitment to "just hold a spot". You don't get engaged to a person until someone "better" comes along. Part of the process of growing up is learning that your word is who you are, if your word means nothing than no one can ever count on you for anything! You only commit if you mean it!

Isn't that what we all do in life?

Better job offer comes along and we take it?

this is why I say we need a different word than "commitment" for recruits who indicate a preference.

I hate to get into another argument over definitions of words, but to me, "commitment" means something long-lasting. It's like the difference between a marriage and a one-night stand. In that sense, if Witt wants to "date" every school in the conference, that's up to him. just don't call it a commitment.

so, what to call it?

off the top of my head, how about "verbal preference?" Or, "verbal pledge?" Like pledging a fraternity. that gives it a college feel. Unless you're pledging Delta House.

I hate to get into another argument over definitions of words, but to me, "commitment" means something long-lasting.

Devil’s advocate, for fun:

how do we know for sure that he didn’t feel that way when he committed to Minn, and then again when he committed to Iowa?

Is it possible he truly felt like “well this is it, this the best offer I’m ever going to get, and I’m taking it!” at both of those points?

Devil’s advocate, for fun:

how do we know for sure that he didn’t feel that way when he committed to Minn, and then again when he committed to Iowa?

Is it possible he truly felt like “well this is it, this the best offer I’m ever going to get, and I’m taking it!” at both of those points?

Maybe because he had an Iowa offer when he originally committed to the Gophers?

Top Bottom