Bowl Game?

GlyndonGopher

Reaction score
I know that there is still to games in the season and nothing is predictable, but my question is if we finish with the same or better record then other bowl going big ten teams, how do they decide the pecking order for bowl game. Wisconsin and Minnesota both finishing 7-5 for example who would be higher in the bowling order?

The bowls invite you. They want the best teams they can get, with the best fan bases. Not sure if head to head matters.

The bowls invite you. They want the best teams they can get, with the best fan bases. Not sure if head to head matters.

I think - unless the rules changed recently - the B1G also makes the mid-tier bowls choose a variety of teams. E.g., a bowl can't choose the same team three times in a five-year period. So that plays in as well.

As long as we're not going to Detroit or NYC, we will be in just as good of bowl game as wi assuming the OP scenario holds true.

Here's the bowl selection rules: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/Bowl-Determination-Procedures.pdf

Basically it's as I said. Mid-tier bowls (Holiday, Music City/TaxSlayer, Pinstripe, Foster Farms) all have stipulations on how many times they can select a B1G team over the course of the agreement, to prevent fanbases having to travel to the same place in multiple years. So if we're in that group - and not Quick Lane or Armed Forces Bowl territory - we would likely go Nashville, New York or San Francisco because we were in San Diego a couple seasons ago.

Right now there are seven bowl-eligible teams, and at least one more (Indiana or Purdue) will get to six wins by the end of the year, with the potential for up to two more beyond that (Maryland and Minnesota). I guess Illinois could too but .. no. That means the Gophers at six wins would probably be around the Quick Lane line, assuming the B1G puts two into the NY6/CFP.

Last edited:

As long as we're not going to Detroit or NYC, we will be in just as good of bowl game as wi assuming the OP scenario holds true.

Also not the San Francisco bowl that is way not in San Francisco.... I know it is still warmer there but San Jose is meh.

Also not the San Francisco bowl that is way not in San Francisco.... I know it is still warmer there but San Jose is meh.

If I went, I'd probably only be in San Jose for the game, too many more interesting places out there. I was stationed in California when I was in the Air Force, and I'd often drive to the coast on the weekend. I wouldn't mind having some clam chowder and sourdough bread.

I wouldn't even mind the Quick Lane Bowl tbh. That's a quick drive (No pun intended)

Just want to see them get in a bowl. The extra practice and bowl experience will be helpful moving forward

Bowl game? … Don't know. Don't care. Please beat Wisconsin. MUST GET AXE BACK!

If I went, I'd probably only be in San Jose for the game, too many more interesting places out there. I was stationed in California when I was in the Air Force, and I'd often drive to the coast on the weekend. I wouldn't mind having some clam chowder and sourdough bread.

Yeah, stay in SF, maybe take the train down... still it isn't a short ride.

Basically it's as I said. Mid-tier bowls (Holiday, Music City/TaxSlayer, Pinstripe, Foster Farms) all have stipulations on how many times they can select a B1G team over the course of the agreement, to prevent fanbases having to travel to the same place in multiple years. So if we're in that group - and not Quick Lane or Armed Forces Bowl territory - we would likely go Nashville, New York or San Francisco because we were in San Diego a couple seasons ago.

The Holiday is considered part of the top tier of B1G bowls, along with the Citrus and Outback. It's still amazing to me that we've played in two of those three during this cycle of bowl agreements (which expire after next season) after getting the shaft in bowl invites for so many years.

Michigan and Ohio State both seem destined for NY6 bowls, and Penn State could join them by winning their final two games against Maryland and Rutgers. Worst case for the Nittany Lions would be the Citrus. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan State all have 6-4 records and would be in the running for the Outback/Holiday slots. The Outback had Wisconsin in 2014, Northwestern in 2015 and Iowa in 2016, so I'd say Sparty has the inside track to Tampa. If NW finishes 8-5 with a B1G title game loss, I'd bet they get to San Diego, since they haven't played a west coast bowl since going to Pasadena in 1995.

Wisky would be appealing to the Gator Bowl, which always prefers big names even during disappointing seasons, but if Purdue beats the Badgers and Indiana to finish 7-5, I think the Boilers go to Jacksonville. Iowa was in the Pinstripe Bowl last year, so Wisky/Purdue or Minnesota would likely be going to NYC, with Iowa going to San Francisco. Detroit would get whatever is left over.

Bowling in Detroit again would stink. For as much as we've feared ending up in Detroit over the years, it's only actually happened once.

But, hey, bowling in Detroit is a thousand times better than not bowling at all.

At this point I'd be happy with any bowl game. A week ago our chances of making any bowl were slightly above 0.

There is a lower Big Ten bowl than the Detroit or NYC bowl. That is the one held at the Cotton Bowl on December 26th (First Responders' Bowl, formerly know as the Heart of Dallas Bowl). It usually doesn't get a Big Ten team because the conference doesn't fill all of its slots but that bowl is the final slot designated for a Big Ten team. The hypothetical matchup is a Big Ten team against a Conference USA team.

This team needs the extra practice time so any bowl is a plus.

There is a lower Big Ten bowl than the Detroit or NYC bowl. That is the one held at the Cotton Bowl on December 26th (First Responders' Bowl, formerly know as the Heart of Dallas Bowl). It usually doesn't get a Big Ten team because the conference doesn't fill all of its slots but that bowl is the final slot designated for a Big Ten team. The hypothetical matchup is a Big Ten team against a Conference USA team.

If we get to 7-5 with NW and wi wins, I can't imagine going to the lowest tier bowl.

Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl a.k.a. Taxslayer Bowl would be just fine on New Year's Eve.

Stay on the ocean about an hour away at Fernandina Beach...could be in the 50s to as high as the 70s...warmer than M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A! (Rah!)

When will US Bank host the Pillsbury Dough Bowl?

Bowling in Detroit again would stink. For as much as we've feared ending up in Detroit over the years, it's only actually happened once.

But, hey, bowling in Detroit is a thousand times better than not bowling at all.

Bowl game in Detroit has been in existence since 2002 (Motor City / Little Caesar’s / now Quick Lane). 5 B1G teams (2 new to conference) - have ever played in this bowl. MN (5-7 APR invite), Rutgers, Maryland- 3 B1G teams since the Bowl Agreement made by Delaney (2014) and prior to that: NW and Purdue (2x). I never used to fear a Bowl Invite from Detroit because, prior to that agreement in 2014, they simply didn’t fill it regularly with B1G teams.

Bowl game? … Don't know. Don't care. Please beat Wisconsin. MUST GET AXE BACK!

In the last day, I have read posts on GH... 1) from a dude saying he doesn't care about uniforms, in the uniform thread, 2) from someone asking if a Gopher player changing positions deserved its own thread, and now 3) somebody taking the time to read a bowl thread and making the effort to post in it that they don't care about a bowl game.

I get a kick out of the trolls that have some weird need to invest their time in these strange statements. Unless you need attention, perhaps just don't open/read threads if you aren't interested in them.

I'm really excited about the prospect of the Gophers making it to a bowl and it is fun to speculate which one it might be if they manage to win one or both of their remaining games.

Last edited:

In the last day, I have read posts on GH... 1) from a dude saying he doesn't care about uniforms, in the uniform thread, 2) from someone asking if a Gopher player changing positions deserved its own thread, and now 3) somebody taking the time to read a bowl thread and making the effort to post in it that they don't care about a bowl game.

I get a kick out of the trolls that have some weird need to invest their time in these strange statements. Unless you need attention, perhaps just don't open/read threads if you aren't interested in them.

I'm really excited about the prospect of the Gophers making it to a bowl and it is fun to speculate which one it might be if they manage to win one or both of their remaining games.

Sorry. We will try to make the internet a better place for you...you deserve it.

My personal feeling on bowls is that any Bowl game played before Christmas just doesn't feel like a bowl game. if it's during the week from Christmas to New Year's Day, that feels like a bowl game. And of course, New Year's day is the best for bowl games. Although I'm old enough to remember when there were 4 games on New Year's Day, and they were staggered so you could literally watch all four if you wanted to, and had enough leftovers. (cold turkey sandwich and the Cotton bowl - a match made in heaven.....) Of course, that was in the days when there were one or maybe two college FB games on TV every week, and the Notre Dame syndicated highlight show Sunday mornings. ('due to time constraints, let's move further ahead in the action......")

so a day with 4 college Fb games was a big deal. these days, with 138 games every weekend, New Year's Day isn't quite as special as it seemed once. but I'd give anything to be able to watch the Rose Bowl with my dad one more time. (he died in 1973).

I'd rather have that bowl than the Detroit or NYC bowl, if I was going to travel to follow the team. No chance I'd go to Detroit or NYC for a bowl game.

I would welcome any bowl game at this point....Detroit....Fairbanks...wherever. The practice time is greatly needed.

I had been a little bit of a downer a couple weeks ago, but a change was made on the staff that I wasn't sure was going
to be made. I'm still a little worried about freshmen being over-exposed a bit, but we're already two seasons deep into
this. Like John Madden used to say, "Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load up the wagon!"

That said, whenever I get optimistic about the team, the Gophers tank. Whenever I get the other way, they blast away.
So....any input from the peanut gallery is welcome here...lol

I was expressing how I see the relative comparison between a third rate bowl appearance and getting the Axe back. I've seen the Gophers in a lot of bowl games and I would frankly trade most of them just to get that Axe. It may sound strange, but some fans agree that this should be the program's top priority. Please stop calling people trolls and lighten up.

Top Bottom