STrib: Three Twin Cities freshmen make instant impact for Gophers basketball team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

As Richard Pitino walked off the court after his Gophers basketball team’s exhibition win against Minnesota Duluth, he looked into the crowd to see Daniel Oturu’s father and sister walking up to high-five the players.

A few rows up, Pitino saw the families of Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Omersa as well, smiling and feeling good about Minnesota’s talented freshman trio — once former AAU teammates — donning maroon and gold.

“That’s what recruiting local kids is all about,” said Pitino, who hopes to see his freshmen continue to shine for the Gophers (1-0) on Monday night against Utah (1-0) at Williams Arena. “They just want to play for the name on the front of the jersey.”

Pitino’s not alone among Big Ten basketball coaches opening this season relying on freshmen. Indiana’s Romeo Langford, a projected NBA lottery pick, leads the bunch, but 10 of the league’s 14 teams had at least one freshman in the starting lineup.

If you judge Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class on rankings, it was solid but not Pitino’s best. Still, based on their roles and local ties, Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa have the chance to make the biggest impact of any crop of freshmen in recent program history.

The last time at least two true freshmen started in the opener for the Gophers was when Jim Dutcher brought in the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class in 1978. Minnesota won the Big Ten title four years later.

In the Gophers’ first open gym this summer, Omersa used his 44-inch vertical to slam a lob pass down over returning All-Big Ten forward Jordan Murphy. It was an early statement that this group was “not going to back down” from anyone, Omersa said.

In last week’s 104-76 win against Omaha, Oturu had 14 points and eight rebounds as the starting center, Kalscheur had eight points as the starting wing, and Omersa had eight points, including a couple of alley-oop dunks, as a spark off the bench.

“I’m here to bring great defense to the team,” said Kalscheur, an ex-DeLaSalle standout. “I’m here to knock down shots. I don’t want to go outside of my role, but I’m here to make a big contribution.”

http://www.startribune.com/three-tw...impact-for-gophers-basketball-team/500247941/

Go Gophers!!

“I’m here to bring great defense to the team,” said Kalscheur, an ex-DeLaSalle standout. “I’m here to knock down shots. I don’t want to go outside of my role, but I’m here to make a big contribution.”

I like it.

44" vertical for Jarvis? That is huge.

Marcus covers the team well and I’m really excited that these three young men decided to play for the Gophers. Maybe it in a year or so some of the other local talent will take notice.

Great write up on a rare early meaningful game.

I'm glad Marcus was still able to assess these details all the way from his new seat in the rafters!

Top Bottom