***OFFICIAL UTAH AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

The ref were really whistle-happy last night. The crowd oftens boos a foul for the hime team, but I heard a few groans of amazement when fouls were called on the opposing team as well. Really ruined much of the flow of the game.

Izzo was complaining about the same thing for MSU, said it is a point of emphasis this year and NCAA wants more scoring.

If we end up having an 11 or 12 man rotation (if we get Curry or Carr back) then good, I'm all for a lot of whistles because we'll generally be deeper than the other team.

I think people here have IW confused with someone who is actually a 3 pt shooter. If Gabe or McBrayer struggle they should continue to take the open 3 in the flow of the offense. IW is not a 3 pt shooter (24% last year). Every time he shoots a bad 3 the opposing coach is celebrating that coaching defense is easy!

He is a driver, he needs to get to the lane and either pick up easy assists or tear drop baskets. Hummel was right on. IW should never shoot 5 3's in a game. He is playing playground basketball.

I was impressed seeing Coffey at the point. Not sure how they will handle say Michigan or Michigan st. who have people who can defend him full court with Simpson or Winston. Maybe they just let whomever has the slowest person on them between Coffey, Gabe, and McBrayer bring it up.

Gabe is such a player. Reminds me of Mason as a freshmen. He belonged from the start.
Oturu is so athletic and can finish with either hand. Omersa is exactly like I thought he was. A hard working athlete who is learning how to play in college.

Hoping Curry and his 240lbs can return to form. We are a little thin against bigger teams.

One other stat to keep an eye on. Even with Murphy's 17 reb, we only tied Utah with 34. Murphy had half our rebounds. We have to have better effort from our other players.

Agreed. I think the early fouls really damaged the flow of the game and kept both teams from being aggressive on offense. I thought the early charge on Jordan was a bogus call. The block/charge is supposed to be a point of emphasis this year, with the idea of giving the offense a little more advantage. Not so last night. Had to have been four or five really brutal charges both ways. Not good.

Jordan out of the game is bad news. He has to stay out of foul trouble. Also really surprised not to see Stull and no reference to it. Gabe isn't going five for six every night. We need Stull's shooting.
I didnt know they were favoring/"emphasizing" the offense this years as per fouls. Makes even more sense then to sub Murphy in on offense only.

We wondered why spacing is better this year.
We have 3 3pt shooters on the court. Most teams will have 4.
Last year, many times we had 2.

With the late start and the price drop, I thought there would be a younger more energetic crowd. Unfortunately a lot of empty seats, and at one point Pitino had to wake up all the old alumni. Shoutout to some of the old guys wives, they were loud. Maybe my generation (teenager in 97) and the one after just suck. Good tickets last night weren’t much more than a twins game. What gives?

With the late start and the price drop, I thought there would be a younger more energetic crowd. Unfortunately a lot of empty seats, and at one point Pitino had to wake up all the old alumni. Shoutout to some of the old guys wives, they were loud. Maybe my generation (teenager in 97) and the one after just suck. Good tickets last night weren’t much more than a twins game. What gives?

In general, it was a sluggish game, with few runs. Not a lot to jump out of the seats about for most fans. I think the late starts on weeknights are tough for a lot of people. I've noticed over the last couple of years that weekend games are much better attended no matter who they are playing. I also think the concept of going to an entire game multiple times per season as a routine leisure activity is a dying reality. Younger people are into other things and are happy with the highlights. I think spectator sports economics are in a major adjustment mode because of that.

Curious as to where you see the Gopher schedule as really tough ?

Tough from the sense there aren't a lot of easy games. If they play poorly during this next stretch, they will lose.

Last edited:

In general, it was a sluggish game, with few runs. Not a lot to jump out of the seats about for most fans. I think the late starts on weeknights are tough for a lot of people. I've noticed over the last couple of years that weekend games are much better attended no matter who they are playing. I also think the concept of going to an entire game multiple times per season as a routine leisure activity is a dying reality. Younger people are into other things and are happy with the highlights. I think spectator sports economics are in a major adjustment mode because of that.

Agree with the weekends assessment. That being said, win this year and the fans will be back and rocking. I think the casual fan is still snakebitten from last season. We are all hardcore fans on this forum so we see the potential in this team because we pay close attention. The casual fan sees a team coming off of a horrendous season and most in the media picked this team to finish low in the conference.

If we win and look like we are making a tourney run, the fans will be back in force just like two seasons ago.

Interesting thoughts. I guess Ispend a lot of money on attending sporting events so I am not in the norm. I really enjoy the fact that I get to sit in the same seat for every basketball game. Its the only thing I care about on my calendar. But you're likely right. I use to have partial season tickets to the Wolves and have moved from that to Gophers tickets for volleyball and mens hoops. Cheaper, more games and more enjoyable.

Winasota Gopher;163292 The next one of you that ****s up the quote blocks I'm going to beat over the head with a tack hammer.[/QUOTE [/QUOTE said:
Bring it on Winny! [emoji3537][emoji41]

Pitino chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom