Tell Me I'm Wrong

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Okay, I understand what we post will be there for eternity, so I do this with some trepidation but here goes. The Gophers will finish the season on a 3-game win streak. The last two games will not be close. Please feel free to call me out but this will happen.

What about the bowl game?

Clearly hope you are right about the next few games but it will take a great effort on offense, defense and special teams in each game to get it done. Here's hoping what we saw yesterday was the start of something special and not just a one week blip.

Anything is possible down the stretch. It is going to be who wants to win the most.

Okay, I understand what we post will be there for eternity, so I do this with some trepidation but here goes. The Gophers will finish the season on a 3-game win streak. The last two games will not be close. Please feel free to call me out but this will happen.

I hope you are right. A w against Wisconsin is all I need though.

I really hope you're right.

I’ll call you out. No way that happens, especially at Wisconsin. Love the swings in people’s thoughts based on 1 game. Happens week after week after week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking my first trip to wisco this year and im feeling pretty good. Especially considering wisco just opened as 5.5pt dogs against purdue this weekend.

I’ll call you out. No way that happens, especially at Wisconsin. Love the swings in people’s thoughts based on 1 game. Happens week after week after week.

True. We've had only one Big Ten game where the defense has played very well so we can't be very confident of that continuing. We also haven't shown that we can play very well on the road. However, I'm encouraged by a post from yesterday reporting that Wisconsin's 6 wins have come against opponents with an 18-42 record. Apparently, they are not only just a 6 win team, they are a fairly weak 6 win team. If we can continue playing well on defense, I think we could have the best chance in years of beating them.

Could happen. Hope it does!

(Then we make it four in a row with the bowl game.)

JTG

You are wrong.

My statement above has nothing to do with your prediction, but merely obliges to the request in your subject line.

Go Gophers!!

People around GH would be utterly wasted all offseason on the theoretical good vibes from that scenario. Here's hoping!

True. We've had only one Big Ten game where the defense has played very well so we can't be very confident of that continuing. We also haven't shown that we can play very well on the road. However, I'm encouraged by a post from yesterday reporting that Wisconsin's 6 wins have come against opponents with an 18-42 record. Apparently, they are not only just a 6 win team, they are a fairly weak 6 win team. If we can continue playing well on defense, I think we could have the best chance in years of beating them.

Also, the defense has played very well in 100% of the B1G games under the new DC!

You are wrong.

You are riding the high of a Purdue victory which still appears to be an outlier when compared to the rest of our season.
Just like our Illinois loss made us appear worse than we are, the Purdue victory makes us look better than we are.
The truth is somewhere in between.

However that does not prevent the team from making blowouts in the favor of the Gophers more of the norm.
Gophers could win one and lose one, and both could be blowouts.

Also, the defense has played very well in 100% of the B1G games under the new DC!

Think about this though, for the first three quarters against Indiana the defense played very well as well. Prior to Brooks fumble, it looked like that could be a 48-10 type game.
Then we changed defense in the 4th and Indiana got back into it.

Think about this though, for the first three quarters against Indiana the defense played very well as well. Prior to Brooks fumble, it looked like that could be a 48-10 type game.
Then we changed defense in the 4th and Indiana got back into it.

Our offense played a big role in letting Indiana back into the game as well. If the offense protects the ball better the comeback probably never happens and we complete the blowout victory.

As has been pointed out in a few of these threads, we have really struggled against athletic/mobile QBs. Thankfully the guys from Northwestern and Wisconsin don't really run much at all which should really help our defense out.

I don't really expect us to blowout either of the remaining opponents but if the D plays the way it did Saturday and the offense doesn't make a lot of mistakes we have a shot in both games. Feels good to be able to even think that after the debacle that was the Illinois game.

I overreact to each win and loss. I tell myself I am not going to do that and then I do anyway. After the Indiana win, I felt the team was trending up and showing weekly improvement to the point not only was a bowl secure, but the team would probably surprise and beat 3 of the 4 remaining opponents. On the way to that uplifting finish was Illinois. After that game I wondered how I would drag myself to the stadium for the two remaining home games which were sure to be blowout losses and I found it quite possible major cracks were showing in Fleck's plan and that horrible defensive showing might prove to be the beginning of the end of Fleck as the Gopher coach. So, then Purdue arrives. 41-10. Of course right on queue Wisconsin seems beatable again. Well, a bowl game would be a step forward this season and given my wild swings related to how I feel the team is progressing, I am going to finally take a step back and leave it at that. It would not surprise me to have two very bad games to end the season. However, there is now enough combined evidence to suggest a couple or one win out of these last two isn't out of the question either. Young college teams can be quite unpredictable. Prior to the season I was thinking it would be a tight one to get to a bowl and I thought the team would be somewhere in that 5-7 to 7-5 territory. If you had told me the team would be 5-5 after 10 games I would have congratulated myself. But, week by week it hasn't felt like I was "right" at all. Complete roller coaster.

I overreact to each win and loss. I tell myself I am not going to do that and then I do anyway. After the Indiana win, I felt the team was trending up and showing weekly improvement to the point not only was a bowl secure, but the team would probably surprise and beat 3 of the 4 remaining opponents. On the way to that uplifting finish was Illinois. After that game I wondered how I would drag myself to the stadium for the two remaining home games which were sure to be blowout losses and I found it quite possible major cracks were showing in Fleck's plan and that horrible defensive showing might prove to be the beginning of the end of Fleck as the Gopher coach. So, then Purdue arrives. 41-10. Of course right on queue Wisconsin seems beatable again. Well, a bowl game would be a step forward this season and given my wild swings related to how I feel the team is progressing, I am going to finally take a step back and leave it at that. It would not surprise me to have two very bad games to end the season. However, there is now enough combined evidence to suggest a couple or one win out of these last two isn't out of the question either. Young college teams can be quite unpredictable. Prior to the season I was thinking it would be a tight one to get to a bowl and I thought the team would be somewhere in that 5-7 to 7-5 territory. If you had told me the team would be 5-5 after 10 games I would have congratulated myself. But, week by week it hasn't felt like I was "right" at all. Complete roller coaster.

Well said.

:drink:

The stock market is the same way.....

Sadly, you're wrong. The Gophers have played passing teams well, especially at home, so have a great chance to knock off Northwestern if they play well. This would mean a bowl game!

The Gophers worst games by far have been against running teams on the road. Bad matchup. You might have to avert your eyes in the Whiskey game.

Same here, 'cept I may not have gotten quite as high after the wins.

The Illinois game was a huge kick in the butt. But that might be a small price to pay if our defense has suddenly become functional with DC Smith's defenestration.

Strange (and sometimes wonderful) things happen in college football. There are few total gimmes. It's not quite the level of parity we have in the NFL, but I think most games are a lot closer than is apparent.

JTG

Same here, 'cept I may not have gotten quite as high after the wins.

The Illinois game was a huge kick in the butt. But that might be a small price to pay if our defense has suddenly become functional with DC Smith's defenestration.

Strange (and sometimes wonderful) things happen in college football. There are few total gimmes. It's not quite the level of parity we have in the NFL, but I think most games are a lot closer than is apparent.

JTG

This Gophers are a really hard team to get a read on this season which is not surprising when you have an inexperienced team that is going to have a lot of ups and downs.

Nothing sums that up better than these last two games. Going from getting destroyed by a terrible Illinois team to dominating a very solid Purdue team in the space of a week. While I don't think we are as good yet as we looked against Purdue I also don't think that win felt "lucky" at all. We dominated Purdue for the most part and after the Cashman TD it never felt like Purdue was a threat to get back into the game.

I think the big thing is that the performance in the Purdue game feels sustainable. The offense was putting together long scoring drives and the defense was playing sound fundamental football. They were forcing punts as opposed to having to rely on turnovers or other mistakes.

All that said it won't surprise me one bit if we struggle in these final 2 games against a very good Northwestern team at home and on the road against a solid Wisconsin team (just not up to their standards of late). At this point pretty much anything is on the table with this team.

The Gophers are the definition of inconsistency. so, until I see more evidence to the contrary, I'm going to expect more ups and downs this season.

At this point, the Gophers could win big or lose big, and neither outcome would 'surprise' me. but, if I had to guess, I would say the gophers win 1 of the 2 remaining games - because that is the way this season has gone. Up and down. good and bad. back and forth.

As a buddy of mine used to say, the chances of anything happening is 50/50. It either will or it won't. that's a 50/50 chance. (that may not be technically correct, but I understand the idea behind it.)

They have been consistently pretty good at home this year and consistently really bad on the road.
One game at a time but I would love to see the first big ten road victory for this staff to come at Madison.

Gophs have more than a fighting chance to win out IMHO. Git'er done Fleck and Co.

They have been consistently pretty good at home this year and consistently really bad on the road.
One game at a time but I would love to see the first Big Ten road victory for this staff to come at Madison.

:clap:

I wish it would have came last year at Purdue, but would be thrilled if it now comes in Wisconsin.

This Gophers are a really hard team to get a read on this season which is not surprising when you have an inexperienced team that is going to have a lot of ups and downs.

Nothing sums that up better than these last two games. Going from getting destroyed by a terrible Illinois team to dominating a very solid Purdue team in the space of a week. While I don't think we are as good yet as we looked against Purdue I also don't think that win felt "lucky" at all. We dominated Purdue for the most part and after the Cashman TD it never felt like Purdue was a threat to get back into the game.

I think the big thing is that the performance in the Purdue game feels sustainable. The offense was putting together long scoring drives and the defense was playing sound fundamental football. They were forcing punts as opposed to having to rely on turnovers or other mistakes.

All that said it won't surprise me one bit if we struggle in these final 2 games against a very good Northwestern team at home and on the road against a solid Wisconsin team (just not up to their standards of late). At this point pretty much anything is on the table with this team.

What gives me a better feeling about Gophs chances against Bucky is the combined record of their opponents in their wins. Not good.

Northwestern? You mean the team that's 6-1 in the Big Ten and hasn't lost on the road this season?

I'm more optimistic vs Wisconsin if only because this Gophers team is so wildly inconsistent that I won't rely on their horrific road record.

Top Bottom