Tell Me I'm Wrong

Northwestern? You mean the team that's 6-1 in the Big Ten and hasn't lost on the road this season?

I'm more optimistic vs Wisconsin if only because this Gophers team is so wildly inconsistent that I won't rely on their horrific road record.

Northwestern is a really hard team to figure out. They somehow managed to get beat by both Duke and Akron and their only other loses were to teams that have a great shot of getting into the CFP. They have road wins over Michigan State, Iowa and Purdue, and a home win over Wisconsin. They needed OT to get past Nebraska and even more shocking, needed a 4th quarter TD to beat Rutgers by 3. That same Rutgers team is getting blown out by everyone.

Statistically they don't really stand out in any categories especially on offense. What they do is play smart and don't make many mistakes. Given they have nothing to play for this week other than pride it sets up well for a potential upset for us. If we get a defensive effort similar to what we saw against Purdue and the offense plays smart we have a great chance of winning the game.

I am not sure if Thorson is more mobile than Blough, but I like that the Gophers are going against more of a pro style QB this Saturday as I think the dual threat QBs tend to hurt this Gopher defense more.
The NW defense is probably a notch better than the Purdue defense though.

I am not sure if Thorson is more mobile than Blough, but I like that the Gophers are going against more of a pro style QB this Saturday as I think the dual threat QBs tend to hurt this Gopher defense more.
The NW defense is probably a notch better than the Purdue defense though.

Thorson is less mobile then Blough and may also be dealing with a knee injury. Northwestern's running game has really struggled so hopefully we can really keep them in check. I expect this to be a pretty low scoring game, similar to the one they just played against Iowa. Hopefully we can come out on the winning side of it.

Northwestern is one of the worst rushing teams in the country. Stop the run and force them to pass a lot in 25 degree weather.

Top Bottom