Wisconsin -6 @ Purdue

hello-world

Reaction score
Wisconsin +6 @ Purdue

I would never bet on Fleck on the road (0 Big 10 road wins w/ Minnesota), and I'm guessing that Vegas is very familiar with Fleck's struggles at Minnesota, but it looks like there's a chance we might be favored going into the border battle.

Last edited:

Wisconsin is -6 on the road. How does that tell you we would be favored at Wisconsin?

I would never bet on Fleck on the road (0 Big 10 road wins w/ Minnesota), and I'm guessing that Vegas is very familiar with Fleck's struggles at Minnesota, but it looks like there's a chance we might be favored going into the border battle.

Hmmm...Badgers favored on the road at Purdue, but underdogs to us at home? Probably not.

I think someone is confused by + vs -.

Even if Wisconsin dominate a game right now they’d win like 3-0 or something

I saw Purdue -5.5.

Give about 3.5 for home team
Neutral would be Purdue -2.
At Wisconsin would be Wisconsin -1.5

I would guess right now WI would be favored over us by about 4 at Wisconsin.

I saw Purdue -5.5.

Give about 3.5 for home team
Neutral would be Purdue -2.
At Wisconsin would be Wisconsin -1.5

I would guess right now WI would be favored over us by about 4 at Wisconsin.

Ignoring the knock-on effects sure. But if the Gophers and Purdue win this week then Vegas is going to have to stop and think for a hot-second about whether or not to favor Minnesota against the Badgers for the first time in... well... I don't remember the last time we were favored.

Ignoring the knock-on effects sure. But if the Gophers and Purdue win this week then Vegas is going to have to stop and think for a hot-second about whether or not to favor Minnesota against the Badgers for the first time in... well... I don't remember the last time we were favored.

I would put the best case scenario right now at +3.5 @wi. Basically a pickem game on a neutral site. If MN puts up similar numbers this weekend and beats NW easily, there's a small chance we'll see a switch but I don't think it will happen. Likely MN would be +1.5 roughly in that case.

Wisconsin's a sleeping giant

This...

Poke the bear, cart before horse etc

Let's play NW first and try to win first. Granted, if we can play the way we did this last Saturday against WI, then all bets are off especially if they have to start that 2nd string qb kid Coen (sp?)....

This...

Poke the bear, cart before horse etc

Let's play NW first and try to win first. Granted, if we can play the way we did this last Saturday against WI, then all bets are off especially if they have to start that 2nd string qb kid Coen (sp?)....

Agree, we'll see if that defense performance by the Gophers was an aberration. - Never over estimate consistency w/ Gopher football. Right now fans have guarded optimism the Gophers can be competitive against Northwestern. My guess, we'll be competitive but still lose by 20 - a few big plays are the difference.

As for the Gopher game against Wisconsin, WI will be coming off a 2 game losing streak and pissed.

Last edited:

Agree, we'll see if that defense performance by the Gophers was an aberration. - Never over estimate consistency w/ Gopher football. Right now fans have guarded optimism the Gophers can be competitive against Northwestern. My guess, we'll be competitive but still lose by 20 - a few big plays are the difference.

As for the Gopher game against Wisconsin, WI will be coming off a 2 game losing streak and pissed.

NW hasn't beaten anybody by 20. If Robb Smith was still coaching I don't think we lose by more than 20.

We are on a 14 game losing streak to Wisconsin, we are pissed.

NW hasn't beaten anybody by 20. If Robb Smith was still coaching I don't think we lose by more than 20.

I feel this is appropriate...never get tired of it either!

<iframe width="720" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mDcl75xZSaQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just added this title in edit mode.

Ask the Mods to change it...it's the only way to correct a thread title here (speaking from experience...)

Then you haven't been here long enough. All you have to do is click edit post, then "Go Advanced".

Fix the thread title. Done. Been that way since day one.

Could have said that about Nebraska as well, before they score 53 points on us. Its just a guess to temper my enthusiasm after the Purdue game. I hope we win out the season!

comparative scores don't mean squat. If Team A beats team B by 20 points, and Team B beats Team C by 20 points, that does NOT mean that Team A would beat Team C by 40 points. It's all about match-ups. gophers seem to have more trouble with wide-open offenses and very mobile QB's. that is not Wisconsin. I would expect WI to be a small favorite at home, but only a small favorite.

Sagarin ratings are usually quite close to predicting opening Vegas spreads. Using current Sagarin figures that weigh recent results heavier than early season ("recent" column), Badgers would be about a 4.5 point favorite over Gophers on a neutral field, plus 2.5 point home field advantage, for a likely opening spread of 7 points. Of course, things can change after this weekend's games.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/conference/

Did you see the game?

Then you haven't been here long enough. All you have to do is click edit post, then "Go Advanced".

Fix the thread title. Done. Been that way since day one.

Guess you should pass that along to the Gopherhole staff...told me a couple months ago only admins can change thread titles.

Sagarin ratings are usually quite close to predicting opening Vegas spreads. Using current Sagarin figures that weigh recent results heavier than early season ("recent" column), Badgers would be about a 4.5 point favorite over Gophers on a neutral field, plus 2.5 point home field advantage, for a likely opening spread of 7 points. Of course, things can change after this weekend's games.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/conference/

After taking into account the games of the week ending Nov 17, Sagarin ("recent" rankings) has the Badgers as 7.5 point favorites over the Gophers on a neutral field, plus 2.5 point home field advantage, for a likely opening spread of 10 points. I suspect Vegas may deduct a point or two for the likelihood Coan may start over QB1 Hornibrook, but the spread will be significantly higher than the 1.5 to 4 points speculated earlier in this thread

Hmmm, the early lines are out for most of this coming week's games, but nothing yet on Minnesota at Wisc. Anybody know why the delay?

Hmmm, the early lines are out for most of this coming week's games, but nothing yet on Minnesota at Wisc. Anybody know why the delay?

Perhaps waiting to see if Hornibrook will return from his concussion. I'm guessing the line would swing a good 2 or 3 point based on that alone.

Top Bottom