Game 2: Gophers Visit Xavier (11-14-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
A Visit to the Queen City home of the Blue Blob:

In her first road contest, Whalen’s Gophers face Xavier in Cincinnati. The Musketeers (2-0) and Gophers (1-0) have met twice before. The first, in a 2009 holiday tournament, was a 71-56, loss to a Kevin McGuff led club and the second, was last season’s 74-62 Gopher win at Williams arena.

These are not Kevin McGuffs Musketeers. Head coach Brian Neal is entering his sixth season. His Big East conference finishes are a palindromic 9th, 7th, 7th, 7th,9th. Not surprisingly, this season, Xavier was picked 10th in the competitive Big East. Last season, Xavier finished 3-15 in conference and 10-20 overall.

The Musketeers are PJ Fleck young with 4 freshmen, 5 sophomores and no seniors. Their best player may be A’rianna Gray a 6’-0” post whose 24 points and 10 rebounds led the Musketeers to their win over Tennessee State. Gray was 2-3 from beyond the arc.

Xavier tend to play a four out, one in motion offense. Defensively, In the first half against Tennessee State, they appeared to be susceptible to the good old drive and dish in the paint.

Wins: Chicago State 91-57. Tennessee Tech 70-60.

Last Season: Minnesota win versus Xavier at Williams got off to a slow start with the Gophers trailing 22-16 at the end of one and 40-32 at the half. However, Kenisha Bell, scoring 15 of her 20 points in the second half, led a Gopher comeback. Carlie Wagner was the leading scorer with 24. Xavier committed 17 turnovers to Minnesota’s 7. For Xavier some of this season’s starters played significant minutes. A’riana Gray posted 10 points and 11 rebounds. Deja Ross: 9 points and 6 rebounds. Na’Teshia Owens was the leading scorer with 12 points in 22 minutes.

https://goxavier.com/documents/2018/9/25/2018_TV_Radio_Chart.pdf

Starters:

Deja Ross 6’0 F So: 14.5 pts/game
A’riana Greay: 6’0” F So: 17.5 pts/game; 7.5 rebounds/game
Aaliya Dunham: 5’4 G So 11.0 pts and 7.0 rebounds
Lauren Wasylon: 6’-0” G Fr
Na’Teshia Owens: 5’5” G So

Others:

Tierra Floyd: 6’1” F RJR
Ayanna Townsend:

Last edited:

Xavier not a tall team. Starting lineup with guards who are 5'4" and 5'5". The three other starters are all listed at 6'0".

This game could be more of a challenge than some people are expecting. this is a team that had gophers down 8 last year at halftime and 11 points before a dominate second half let the gophers take control. yes I understand different staff and different teams but gophers also wont have 24 points from Wagner that they got last year. I don't think they can get down 8-12 points on the road and expect to come back. they also let Xavier shoot 7-13 from 3-point range in the first half last year, unless Pitts and Staples are hot from deep, we wont have the fire power to combat that. Hopefully gophers overpower this team but road games always can be a tougher go. Would be great time for Pitts to enforce herself onto the 18-19 season with a dominate road performance.

I was thinking the same thing, bball, but that might be the pessimist in me coming out. After watching the Gophers on Friday, I'm of the feeling that they have a lot of work to do to get ready for the tougher parts of their schedule. In other words, I'm glad Syracuse isn't visiting this week. I think the Gophers beat Xavier, based on talent and experience, but they might have to shoot better than they did against New Hampshire.

They also let Xavier shoot 7-13 from 3-point range in the first half last year, unless Pitts and Staples are hot from deep, we wont have the fire power to combat that.

It’s called defense. The team was vulnerable to hot three point shooting last year. Hopefully that’ll change with the new defense. I’m not too worried unless the team doesn’t travel well. Plus the post seems much more solid this year. Don’t have to rely on three point shooting.

Last edited:

Improved defense yes, great defense, not so sure. While we don't need to rely on the 3-point shot, we also don't have the fire power w/o wagner or hubbard to let a team
hit 10-12 3-pointers if we are only hitting 3-5. As stated, if Pitts shows up and show out in this game, then I agree I don't feel we will have much to worry about.
It’s called defense. The team was vulnerable to hot three point shooting last year. Hopefully that’ll change with the new defense. I’m not too worried unless that team doesn’t travel well. Plus the post seems much more solid this year. Don’t have to rely on three point shooting.

Gophers are playing amazing defense so far. Liking what I’m seeing so far.

Gophers are playing amazing defense so far. Liking what I’m seeing so far.

Why does no one listen to the basketball prophet?

Anyway, all I'm getting with the stream is Gopher team audio. No video. Am I the only one?

Bello dominating the boards so far. Brunson contributing offensively.

I’m getting both video and audio.

Perez putting in some good minutes.

Bello looking unstoppable.

42-20 MIN at the half

13 rebounds for Bello at the half, along with 10 points. 11 points for Brunson. Gopher D has been solid. Pitts and Bell spent some time on the bench in the first half due to foul trouble, but that's giving valuable PT to Staples and Perez. Looks like it might be a long year for Xavier. Small crowd also.

last year they were down 6 at the half. this year they are up 22. ����

Vc1PaD7.jpg

The defense looks pretty good, especially the help defense. I saw several times one of the gophers was beaten off the dribble but help was waiting.

The defense looks pretty good, especially the help defense. I saw several times one of the gophers was beaten off the dribble but help was waiting.

Shades, thanks for posting the link. Fun game to watch the obviously improved D and multiple players getting more minutes.

jlGDCMw.jpg

eRW75UW.jpg

Attachments

• eRW75UW.jpg
    eRW75UW.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 14

Easy win for the Gophers. Only downside was the 18 turnovers. Gonna have to value the ball more against good opponents.
I didn't see or listen to the game. Who got the technical foul...and why?
51db57a4990a64c388d3e2b0c6b5b836.jpg

Brunson got the technical for touching the ball while the Xavier inbounder was still holding it.

A little bit of foul trouble meant we got to see some juggled lineups and the point guards all got plenty of time. Of note: the three leaders in minutes were Taiye (30), Brunson (29) and Perez (24). Perez with a solid defensive game and 8 points (2-5 from three). Perez and Lamke were the only Gophers without a turnover.

Taiye Bello was terrific and NO FOULS! Minnesota scored on at least three inbound plays-four if you count the set play starting the second half. All in all a steady, pull away performance with a few minor lapses on the road.

Top Bottom