Game 2: Gophers Visit Xavier (11-14-18)

Looks to me like T. Bello could be a real force this year. She's very athletic. Could have probably had 25 rebounds if the game hadn't been a blowout. Looks like Pitts started to get her mojo back with her shooting in the second half. Good chance for a lot of players to get some minutes. I always like the energy that Kaposi brings, although she's not a scorer. And it looks like Perez will be able to contribute off the bench this year. And, yes, too many turnovers, although about a half-dozen of those came in the last five minutes when the second unit wasn't taking care of the ball. Defense looking much better this year, although still plenty to work on.

And, yes, too many turnovers, although about a half-dozen of those came in the last five minutes when the second unit wasn't taking care of the ball. Defense looking much better this year, although still plenty to work on.

You're right: Minnesota committed 9 turnovers in the fourth quarter; seven in the last 4:51. For the game, my nomination for ugliest turnover was at the end of the first half. We ran the clock down to take the final shot only to have Brunson throw it high and out of bounds without being pressured.

9:49 Tomancova
5:40 Bell

4:51 Tomancova
3:59 Kaposi
3:14 Staples
2:05 K Bello
1:47 Byrne
1:30 Staples
0:01 Team

... Looks like Pitts started to get her mojo back with her shooting in the second half. ...

Three-point percentage only 20% (as in N.H. game) in the first half, but up to about 31% by end-of-game - a definite improvement, but I think we could hit near 40% long term, especially when we get Diva back.

Whatever riot act Lindsay read to the team about free-throw shooting, it apparently worked wonders, as they hit about 80%. Xavier coach will be reading them the riot act about free throws next practice, as they only hit 25%. They must have Shaq for their free-throw coach.

As pointed out, second unit needs to learn how to take care of the ball - maybe this will get better as they get some playing time.

Oh, and zero fouls in 30 min of playing time for T. Bello. That's what we like to see.

Last edited:

One item from Whalen's post-game radio interview: Lindsay said Irene Garrido Perez is the team's best help defender.

Gophers started 0/8 on 3s I believe. Ended up 5/16...5/8 is a nice end! Kept the blowout intact

09-E56-CF6-1913-42-EA-AF20-BABF35-E2061-E.jpg

Perez is the best three point shooter so far. Also, as stated by Whalen, a great help side defender (saw her take a charge myself). Seems to me she’s earned more playing time, but the only real way that can happen is if she’s made a starter. She already has the sixth most minutes.

Kaposi has been a competent rebounder and defender as well. I love how the senior players underutilized in the past have stepped up so far.

I also think it's cool that three seniors who were basically non-contributors previously are now making substantial contributions. Lamke, Perez, Kaposi. While some of their new "value" is born from necessity, these three players deserve credit for staying with the program and working hard. And, the same can be said for Brunson, a junior who didn't receive much playing time in her freshman and sophomore years. And one thing I noticed about all four of those players last year is that they were all quick to cheer on their teammates last year when they were watching from the bench.

On a totally unrelated note which does not deserve its own thread, I was disappointed to see that Illinois and Wisconsin lost players this week to knee injuries. The Illini player is out for the year; haven't heard if Wisconsin's Frederickson has suffered the same fate. Either way, it's so sad to see that so many players, especially women, suffer these injuries. It's one of my biggest pet peeves about women's college basketball, just as one of my biggest pet peeves about baseball is the arm injuries to pitchers.

I also think it's cool that three seniors who were basically non-contributors previously are now making substantial contributions. Lamke, Perez, Kaposi. While some of their new "value" is born from necessity, these three players deserve credit for staying with the program and working hard. And, the same can be said for Brunson, a junior who didn't receive much playing time in her freshman and sophomore years. And one thing I noticed about all four of those players last year is that they were all quick to cheer on their teammates last year when they were watching from the bench.

On a totally unrelated note which does not deserve its own thread, I was disappointed to see that Illinois and Wisconsin lost players this week to knee injuries. The Illini player is out for the year; haven't heard if Wisconsin's Frederickson has suffered the same fate. Either way, it's so sad to see that so many players, especially women, suffer these injuries. It's one of my biggest pet peeves about women's college basketball, just as one of my biggest pet peeves about baseball is the arm injuries to pitchers.

I'll second that emotion - very good points. It's awesome to see these stalwart players being rewarded for their hard work and team loyalty, with the opportunity to make a real difference and win games for the Gophers.

> And one thing I noticed about all four of those players last year is that they were all quick to cheer on their teammates last year when they were watching from the bench.

And in terms of most predictable cheerleader among equals, probably everybody has noticed the fact that Lamke is first to jump off the bench and up onto the raised floor to greet the players at end-of-game or half-time. Doesn't matter whether she sat out the whole game, or (more recently) was high-point scorer and had just gone to the bench minutes earlier to let the subs finish out the game. If you wanna see a nice video (for multiple reasons), go to YouTube and find the video of Rachel's buzzer-beater against Iowa a couple years ago. Besides the cool way to win, Lamke is first to sprint to the side of (now fallen to the floor) Rachel, and Annalese literally jumps up and down for about a whole minute to celebrate. (At the time I was thinkin, wow, I didn't know you had that much vertical.)

I'll second that emotion - very good points. It's awesome to see these stalwart players being rewarded for their hard work and team loyalty, with the opportunity to make a real difference and win games for the Gophers.

> And one thing I noticed about all four of those players last year is that they were all quick to cheer on their teammates last year when they were watching from the bench.

And in terms of most predictable cheerleader among equals, probably everybody has noticed the fact that Lamke is first to jump off the bench and up onto the raised floor to greet the players at end-of-game or half-time. Doesn't matter whether she sat out the whole game, or (more recently) was high-point scorer and had just gone to the bench minutes earlier to let the subs finish out the game. If you wanna see a nice video (for multiple reasons), go to YouTube and find the video of Rachel's buzzer-beater against Iowa a couple years ago. Besides the cool way to win, Lamke is first to sprint to the side of (now fallen to the floor) Rachel, and Annalese literally jumps up and down for about a whole minute to celebrate. (At the time I was thinkin, wow, I didn't know you had that much vertical.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSARedufXe4

Also remember that while home during May before her sophomore season Annalese Lamke broke her ankle. That set her back until well into fall workouts and she fell behind Edwards, Barnes and Fernstrom in the rotation.

The new set of coaches seem to reward players who proved themselves in practice. Lindsay Whalen sets the tone as a collegiate player and as a Pro. She puts in a lot of time to improve her game and sets goals and practices like a game. Now, she is doing it as a coach.

Hopefully, this rubs on the players. I bet there is already a plan to improve free throws and three point plays. You bet things are being addressed for improvements after the last game.

There is a lot of teaching and growth to be had in the preseason.

Top Bottom