Tanner Morgan is 2nd in Big Ten QB rating

Much improved from anything we saw under Kill and Claeys, right?

The the last regime had ever given Leidner easy throws he would’ve played with more confidence and effectiveness.

The passing game never helped the quarterbacks out in the last system.

The the last regime had ever given Leidner easy throws he would’ve played with more confidence and effectiveness.

The passing game never helped the quarterbacks out in the last system.

That is an interesting point and I don’t think it helped the receivers either. I would think that Leidner could have thrown the quick slants that these QBs have been doing all season but from my memory more of Leidner’s targets were sideline routes.

Much different philosophy on offense. Heavy run ball control, passed when needed. It complemented the defense.

That is an interesting point and I don’t think it helped the receivers either. I would think that Leidner could have thrown the quick slants that these QBs have been doing all season but from my memory more of Leidner’s targets were sideline routes.

My concern would have been on if Leidner would have had the timing and accuracy on the slants. I think he was better throwing to the sidelines where timing wasn't as crucial as the quick slants. That's where Morgan and ZA both seem to be pretty accurate getting passes through holes that don't always appear to be there.

Two different offenses.
Power running vs a more unpredictable balanced attack.

Plus two obvious drops that should have been made. Endzone drop and Douglas long wide open drop. While wide receivers clearly much better than the past, we could step it up another notch.

3 drops...., INT was off Bell's hands, shoulda been caught

Virtually tied with Michigan's Shea Patterson who is a fraction of a point behind at 3rd place. #1 is, no surprise, Dwayne Haskins.

Of the QBs listed, Morgan is #1 in Yards per Attempt (by a pretty comfortable margin actually).
6 TD's, 4 INT's. Stop glorifying things.

Isn’t total yards how we judge QBs here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But how would Morgan be doing at St Thomas? Or South Dakota?

Only if a senior

It's always funny, but it's pretty accurate. How many 2019 draft picks will we have after this disappointing season? Probably about the same as last year.

Here are their numbers so far:
............................. Com ATT YDS COMP YPA TD INT RATING
Conor Rhoda 2017 --- 59 109 839 54.1 7.7 5 4 126.6
Tanner Morgan 2018 - 54 91 948 59.3 10.4 6 4 159.8

Definitely a notch better, although not as far ahead as I thought. Morgan can also run a little bit which Rhoda could not.

Rhoda's numbers from last year include games against Buffalo, Oregon State and MTSU. His numbers against Big Ten teams were terrible. There is no comparison between Morgan and Rhoda because Morgan is a legit Big Ten level QB whereas Rhoda was a guy who should never have needed to see the field and only did because the QB situation here was such a joke.

No doubt there has been an upgrade in terms of raw talent at the QB position this season over the past 20 years...at least.

No disrespect to any past QB who has donned the Maroon and Gold or Anthracite...

This is a good thing no matter who is doing the 'cruitin or doling out the schollies...and yes, good walk-ons are welcome.

QB position is trending up IMO. This is a good thing.

Leidner had a lot of trouble hitting a wide open receiver ten yards away. Not that he didn't try hard and wasn't a good leader. He was both. But he was not a good passer, period.

Leidner had a lot of trouble hitting a wide open receiver ten yards away. Not that he didn't try hard and wasn't a good leader. He was both. But he was not a good passer, period.

This. Leidner was tough as nails, a good leader, good teammate, very good runner, but NOT a good passer.

This. Leidner was tough as nails, a good leader, good teammate, very good runner, but NOT a good passer.

Leidner was inconsistent. Some games he had a hot hand (Missouri in a bowl, he must have hit for 70%, though we lost anyway). His senior year, when we were ahead of 5th ranked Wisconsin 17-14 going into the fourth quarter, he was intercepted several times, completed relatively few passes for the entire game, and we lost the game in that quarter. He was not a natural passer, but a great competitor.

Annexstad has an issue getting a ton of balls tipped at the LOS from my memory. Don’t know why, isn’t he that much shorter?

But Morgan has not had that issue

This has been discussed before about Zack locking in on where he was throwing while Tanner goes through the progressions. DL were watching Zack's eyes knowing that the ball was coming his way. They aren't able to zone in on Tanner as much. Makes sense to me.

Ha! yeah I am on the same page with you in Leidner’s accuracy issues, but in terms of degree of difficulty I would rate the quick slant as one of the easiest to throw.
I think someone else mentioned it just wasn’t part of the Kill system offense though.
Sorry didn’t mean to take this discussion back into history. I’m very pleased with the new Offense.

If Ty Johnson stays we should be looking hard for a big grad transfer QB, I don't know who that is but bring some competition in here ASAP and see if we can hit a home run on a big-time transfer. Got to be one of the best WR groups in the Big 10 with two senior running backs and 2 sophomore running backs with a ton of experience. Weapons all over the damn field.

6 TD's, 4 INT's. Stop glorifying things.

I didn't make up this measure or glorify anything. QB rating is a composite measure of QB performance that is widely used. I just reported the current state of that measure in the conference. If you choose to ignore that, fine, but Tanner Morgan is 2nd in the conference by that measure and that isn't "fake news."

If Ty Johnson stays we should be looking hard for a big grad transfer QB, I don't know who that is but bring some competition in here ASAP and see if we can hit a home run on a big-time transfer. Got to be one of the best WR groups in the Big 10 with two senior running backs and 2 sophomore running backs with a ton of experience. Weapons all over the damn field.

Even though the sample is relatively small, the evidence indicates that Tanner has done rather well so far, especially for a rookie. I don't see why we should be in a rush to replace him. I expect that he will be even better next year.

I would place the odds on that happening at zero. We are getting solid play out of both guys as Freshman so it would be reasonable to think that with an entire off season and another spring/fall camp that one or both of them is going to get even better. Obviously if there was some Russell Wilson type guy sitting out there you wouldn't want to say no but I really don't think we need to be trying to find a one year solution to a problem that really isn't there.

I really don't think we need to be trying to find a one year solution to a problem that really isn't there.

That pretty much says it all. After all, this team does have actual roster problems that deserve much more attention.

No doubt there has been an upgrade in terms of raw talent at the QB position this season over the past 20 years...at least.

No disrespect to any past QB who has donned the Maroon and Gold or Anthracite...

This is a good thing no matter who is doing the 'cruitin or doling out the schollies...and yes, good walk-ons are welcome.

QB position is trending up IMO. This is a good thing.

Well past 20 years include Weber who was pretty good

I'd be happy if one of our QB's turned out as good as weber was

I didn't make up this measure or glorify anything. QB rating is a composite measure of QB performance that is widely used. I just reported the current state of that measure in the conference. If you choose to ignore that, fine, but Tanner Morgan is 2nd in the conference by that measure and that isn't "fake news."

While he may be second in the conference in rating (third, actually), that comes with a pretty big asterisk, considering the comparative sample sizes. He has roughly one quarter the completions of the top passers (54 compared to 225 and 266).

If he starts the next three games and finishes the regular season near the top of the conference in rating, then we might be on to something.

Here's hoping.

JTG

Much improved from anything we saw under Kill and Claeys, right?

Yes but,...
Different styles. Kill and Claeys took a Mason like approach and used the pass to keep defenses honest. That and to keep the defense off of the field. All three really put an emphasis on a competent game manager. They wanted the offense to compliment the defense.

Though coach Fleck desires a balanced offense, he's not afraid to wing the ball. It appears that Fleck wants more that a game manager at QB.

Just my humble opinion.

Keep in mind ZA and TM's stats look a little weaker because of our red zone / short yardage offense. (Wildcat).

Seth Green has numerous TD's where those would likely flow a couple more to passing TD's for either ZA or TM.
Seth Green is essentially the Mitch Leidner rushing TD component.

Top Bottom