Well, Well, Well...

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
It seems the defensive line stepped up yesterday and commanded some double teams. And what was the result? Our linebackers made plays. Cashman had 9 tackles. That's over 10% of the total tackles. Amazing what happens when you stay on your feet because linemen do not feel free to waltz right into the second level and demolish our LB's!

Here's the play where we stuffed them going for the first down. That's Moore commanding the double-team. That leaves no lineman free to get to the second level. And Cashman stuffs them. We need more of that.

muEdVDh.png

I've got beer to drink and NFL football to watch. But I'll be back later to elaborate on this topic. Good win, and skol Gophers!

One could argue that the most important position on the defense is nose tackle or defensive tackle. If your nose guard is consistently drawing a double-team, that sets up the rest of the defense. If the o-line is single-blocking your DT's, then the offense has the advantage.

I believe former Gopher coaches have said that the hardest single position to recruit is a great - not good, but great - defensive tackle, because there just aren't a lot of them, and every team in the country is looking for one. Look at the Vikings - some of their best defensive teams had great DT's - Page, Johnny Randle, Pat Williams, Linval Joseph.

Cashman is also double teamed. Four guys on 2 guys plus the running back obviously not blocking (has the ball). Meaning 3 guys probably four (quarterback) guys with no blockers in front of them near by. Easier said than done I know.

but, but, but, but, we've been told it's personnel.

That is a spill technique allowing things to be chased down. (the maroon dot to the right of 89....it's aggressive, allows an undersized player a fighting chance, way better than contain, allows db and lb to chase things down aggressively to the outside and beat OL to spots b/c they don't have to be as patient inside

Cashman is also double teamed. Four guys on 2 guys plus the running back obviously not blocking (has the ball). Meaning 3 guys probably four (quarterback) guys with no blockers in front of them near by. Easier said than done I know.

Actually, in the moment depicted, Cashman is not being blocked at all. There is a Gopher between him and the offensive lineman that appears to be blocking him. That is the point of my post. One of the reasons Cashman can make the play is that the consequence of Moore drawing a double-team is that there is no offensive lineman free to block Cashman, and actually in the context of the play up until the point depicted herein, Cashman has gone untouched. Not a single offensive player has touched him at all. And he goes on to snuff out the run.

Contrast this to my other posts last week where you saw our linebackers blocked to the ground by lineman who went straight to the second level and demolished them - and then people said "where are the linebackers? It must be the scheme!"

Actually, in the moment depicted, Cashman is not being blocked at all. There is a Gopher between him and the offensive lineman that appears to be blocking him. That is the point of my post. One of the reasons Cashman can make the play is that the consequence of Moore drawing a double-team is that there is no offensive lineman free to block Cashman, and actually in the context of the play up until the point depicted herein, Cashman has gone untouched. Not a single offensive player has touched him at all. And he goes on to snuff out the run.

Contrast this to my other posts last week where you saw our linebackers blocked to the ground by lineman who went straight to the second level and demolished them - and then people said "where are the linebackers? It must be the scheme!"[/QUOTE]

You just answered your on thought. YES it was the scheme. It was not the d linemen magically showing up, they attacked way more, they stunted way more, they blitzed more. That my friend is a change of scheme. Kind of nice when the backers are free to do what they should.

It seems the defensive line stepped up yesterday and commanded some double teams. And what was the result? Our linebackers made plays. Cashman had 9 tackles. That's over 10% of the total tackles. Amazing what happens when you stay on your feet because linemen do not feel free to waltz right into the second level and demolish our LB's!

Here's the play where we stuffed them going for the first down. That's Moore commanding the double-team. That leaves no lineman free to get to the second level. And Cashman stuffs them. We need more of that.

muEdVDh.png

I've got beer to drink and NFL football to watch. But I'll be back later to elaborate on this topic. Good win, and skol Gophers!

Illinios was a bit of an anomaly with the LBs. Most other games they were around the ball making tackles...even the Nebby game.

Contrast this to my other posts last week where you saw our linebackers blocked to the ground by lineman who went straight to the second level and demolished them - and then people said "where are the linebackers? It must be the scheme!"[/QUOTE]

You just answered your on thought. YES it was the scheme. It was not the d linemen magically showing up, they attacked way more, they stunted way more, they blitzed more. That my friend is a change of scheme. Kind of nice when the backers are free to do what they should.

No offense to you, and, yes the linemen were more aggressive. But the scheme did not change at all. In fact, in the play depicted, there was neither a blitz nor a stunt. And even had there been, those things aren't scheme.

What changed? (1) In the secondary, coverages were greatly simplified, which worked to the benefit of a young and easily confused secondary - so we weren't getting beaten by operation of confusion; and (2) the defensive line looks for all the world to have been challenged and stepped up. The defensive line this year will not ever be affirmatively good. But it can be significantly more disruptive than it was against Illinois, and they can demand a double-team more often than not. When they do those things they keep our linebackers on their feet, and the linebackers can make plays - which is EXACTLY what we saw yesterday. Cashman + Barber = 17 tackles. About 25% of all tackles in the game came out of two linebackers... SURPRISE! Keeping them on their feet works!

I guess it depends on your definition of scheme. It certainly changed according to Fleck. Told DC it needed to be simple, sound, fast. Repeatedly said it this week before and after the game. That's exactly what I saw AtcT F Saturday. They absolutely stripped away a lot of the reads and special sets/schemes that were causing a lot of the miscues. That and Smith had lost the players and probably some of his coaches confidence in him

Getting back to basics. Attacking blocks, staying low, doing YOUR job not trying to overcompensate. That's what I saw the other day. Look at the pad level in this picture also. Purdue's guys are stood straight up. Minnesota lower and more leverage. Simplicity in defense and doing your job. Wow, what a concept and look what happens.

Or someone pretending to be Paul Charchian pretending to be a Gophers fan (this guy is a troll).

I sit in 111 row 17 right by the cardboard mat guy. Stop by next game and tell me I’m not a fan to my face. Have your Medicaid insurance card.

I sit in 111 row 17 right by the cardboard mat guy. Stop by next game and tell me I’m not a fan to my face. Have your Medicaid insurance card.

Haha! If you are really a Gopher fan I never would have guessed by reading your posts. I’m in section 115 row 21. I hope you let me remove my dentures before you give it the old Popeye windup.

Back to the defense: there is scheme, and then there is execution. There may have been some relatively minor changes in scheme. I say relatively minor, because at this point of the season, you just don't have the time to put in a completely new scheme.

So, I think or suspect that the biggest change from Illinois to Purdue was in execution and motivation. Whatever changes were made in the scheme, the defensive coaches got the players to buy in. against Illinois, they played tentatively. against Purdue, they were attacking and playing loose.

Again, whatever changes were made in scheme, the defensive coaches put the players in a situation where they were able to play - not think, but play. let their athletic ability take over. and we saw the result.

Haha! If you are really a Gopher fan I never would have guessed by reading your posts. I’m in section 115 row 21. I hope you let me remove my dentures before you give it the old Popeye windup.

Nah, we’re good. When I saw the cardboard guy I couldn’t wait to report back-

Top Bottom