Bobby Petrino fired by Louisville

Let the Brohm to Louisville talk begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let the Petrino to Minnesota after the Gophers' disastrous 5-5 start talk begin.

Let the Petrino to Minnesota after the Gophers' disastrous 5-5 start talk begin.
Don't go starting rumors like that!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Louisville sold their soul to a PoS, and didn't get wins....or even a discount.

Papa John's quality decisions right there.

Right on schedule

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brohm’s really bad day yesterday is immediately flipped on Sunday. He is going to get paid (bigly!) either way. $$$

Some Babers steam, as well. But Brohm is setting up to be the ACC equivalent of Scott Frost.

Bad weekend for Purdue fans just got so much worse. Not only does there team get destroyed, now they get to listen to every media outlet in the world predict that their coach is going to be leaving soon as well.

To the people who would rather have Brohm than Fleck?

Is that one extra regular season win last year and identical records this year really worth either:
A) losing your coach and starting over after two years

Or

B) having to give a coach who is 12-11 a major pay raise after two years?

Louisville is a better job. The fact he played there it does make sense. You can't really do anything about it. Holtz was here what a year and a half before he bolted for his dream job. Purdue is in the shadows of Notre Dame, Ohio State is next door, and West Lafayette is a dump.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if Brohm is going to leave ever, it's for Louisville or a top 10 job, or at least something in the SEC.

Always tough to see fine upstanding people lose their jobs.

To the people who would rather have Brohm than Fleck?

Is that one extra regular season win last year and identical records this year really worth either:
A) losing your coach and starting over after two years

Or

B) having to give a coach who is 12-11 a major pay raise after two years?

Your question doesn't really seem to fit the premise.

But first we should dissect your question and lay a little foundation.

Brohm took over a program that was a whopping 3-30 in the Big 10 over the previous 4 seasons. In comparison, MN was 16-17 in the Big 10 over that time. The success of the program you are walking into does matter when you're evaluating the type of job someone has done. It's a fact. I know this is somehow become a debatable position on this board (and ONLY this board), but it's a fact.

So it's an extra win DESPITE inheriting a program that was in a much worse position.

I think Brohm is probably considered the hotter name in coaching circles. I actually think there is a decent chance he passes on Louisville for the chance at a bigger gig in a year or so. I am not sure who I would rather have coach the Gophers, I am not sure who the better coach is. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Brohm, but I don't say that with much confidence.

But I will answer your question because I technically fit that group of people:
(A) I think you're asking "is the fact that you think Brohm is better than Fleck make it worth losing your coach and starting over after two years?"

No. Even if Fleck is a full notch worse the Brohm, starting over would stink for Purdue. The improvements Brohm made to the program are noteworthy though. If I were a Purdue fan and I witnessed that 3-30 stretch, these two years would be worth it. Like I said, the context of the Purdue situation makes the question completely different for the two programs. For Purdue, even if Brohm leaves after this season, it was 100% worth it. They were a dumpster fire a program and they aren't right now. That's a huge achievement. For us, no, it wouldn't be worth it at all. But that's because we were in a much better spot than Purdue.

(B) I presume this question is "if you think Brohm is better than Fleck, would it be worth it to have to give him a major pay raise?"

Yes. If I think I had the right guy and he made those kinds of improvements (3-30 to their records now), I would have no issue with the pay raise. In general, I am in favor of pay raises. I'm not paying them and they're usually a sign of good things happening.

Well, if Brohm is going to leave ever, it's for Louisville or a top 10 job, or at least something in the SEC.

So, essentially, if Brohm is going to leave it's going to be for a better gig. Profound.

Your question doesn't really seem to fit the premise.

But first we should dissect your question and lay a little foundation.

Brohm took over a program that was a whopping 3-30 in the Big 10 over the previous 4 seasons. In comparison, MN was 16-17 in the Big 10 over that time. The success of the program you are walking into does matter when you're evaluating the type of job someone has done. It's a fact. I know this is somehow become a debatable position on this board (and ONLY this board), but it's a fact.

So it's an extra win DESPITE inheriting a program that was in a much worse position.

I think Brohm is probably considered the hotter name in coaching circles. I actually think there is a decent chance he passes on Louisville for the chance at a bigger gig in a year or so. I am not sure who I would rather have coach the Gophers, I am not sure who the better coach is. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Brohm, but I don't say that with much confidence.

But I will answer your question because I technically fit that group of people:
(A) I think you're asking "is the fact that you think Brohm is better than Fleck make it worth losing your coach and starting over after two years?"

No. Even if Fleck is a full notch worse the Brohm, starting over would stink for Purdue. The improvements Brohm made to the program are noteworthy though. If I were a Purdue fan and I witnessed that 3-30 stretch, these two years would be worth it. Like I said, the context of the Purdue situation makes the question completely different for the two programs. For Purdue, even if Brohm leaves after this season, it was 100% worth it. They were a dumpster fire a program and they aren't right now. That's a huge achievement. For us, no, it wouldn't be worth it at all. But that's because we were in a much better spot than Purdue.

(B) I presume this question is "if you think Brohm is better than Fleck, would it be worth it to have to give him a major pay raise?"

Yes. If I think I had the right guy and he made those kinds of improvements (3-30 to their records now), I would have no issue with the pay raise. In general, I am in favor of pay raises. I'm not paying them and they're usually a sign of good things happening.

IMO results two years ago have very little impact on this year’s team.

Look at Michigan state the last 4 seasons.
Looks at Iowa.

Unless you are constantly loaded there are ups and downs. I’d argue the 9-4 team with a 4th year senior quarterback was likely to be an up regardless who is the coach. Not a middle or a down.

Regardless. I’d rather have Fleck than Brohm. Simply because Brohm is a guy who wants to move south fast. You can see this in his flirting with TN last year and his leaving for Louisville in about 3 weeks. (Predicted by me)

I’ve openly said I think a Brohm is a better coach. But I’d rather have Fleck for 5 than Brohm for 2.

Louisville sold their soul to a PoS, and didn't get wins....or even a discount.

Papa John's quality decisions right there.

He was 34-18 this time at Louisville. He basically set Brohm up at W Ky to win.

Fleck will not leave in till a major program goal is achieved. Leaving short of that would be a big blow to the culture he preaches.

Churchill Downs is pretty much right across the street...if you're into that sort of thing. Oh, and they have a baseball bat museum.

Fast Food Capital of the US too.

I guess I'm missing the appeal of Louisville....

This is why, from CBS:

When the news broke Sunday morning that Louisville coach Bobby Petrino had been fired, there were two very different reactions. In Louisville, there was mostly relief. Roughly 180 miles north on I-65, however, there was fear -- fear that the man who just showed up to West Lafayette, Indiana, last year and had immediately revived a moribund program would soon be on his way out of town.

Jeff Brohm is the obvious choice for Louisville. He had been since before Louisville fired Petrino. Brohm, the Louisville native, the Louisville alum, and the former Louisville assistant, will be new athletic director Vince Tyra's first choice to replace Petrino. He'll likely be the second and third choice as well. It's an idea that makes too much sense, like when former Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh returned to the Wolverines, or when former Nebraska quarterback Scott Frost returned to the Cornhuskers.

Brohm returning to Louisville seems like fate, and in some eyes, an inevitability. But it might not be as simple or straightforward as it looks.

To describe the last few years in Louisville's athletic department as tumultuous would be accurate, but also a bit of an understatement. Rick Pitino, who won an NCAA title and went to three Final Fours, was fired amidst an NCAA scandal. Former athletic director Tom Jurich, who helped take Louisville from Conference USA to the ACC and helped create one of the strongest athletic departments in the country, soon followed. Then there was the school disassociating itself from a longtime booster and trustee "Papa" John Schnatter. Petrino's dismissal is the final step in completely overhauling the department, and Brohm -- along with new basketball coach Chris Mack -- will be seen as the coach to lead it into a new era.

But it won't be a cheap era. Louisville didn't just fire Petrino, it bought him out for $14 million. That is not an insignificant amount of money, and that price is one reason why some at the school bristled at the idea of firing him in the first place. Jurich received $4.5 million when he was bought out. The school has also spent money to renovate Cardinal Stadium. Now, after spending all that money to create the job opening, Louisville will have to pay more to get Brohm.

Brohm is currently making $3.8 million a year at Purdue, according to USA Today. That's slightly less than what Petrino had been making, so we know Louisville is willing to spend that kind of money on its football coach. The problem is that if Louisville wants to but Brohm out of his current deal, it would cost them an additional $4.4 million to do so before Dec. 5, 2018. The good news is that number drops to $3.3 million on Dec. 6, but even at the "discount," if Brohm signs a five-year deal worth roughly $4 million per year (which would be a family discount), the act of going from Petrino to Brohm will leave Louisville with a $37.3 million bill. And that doesn't even include the money for Brohm's assistants and money that must be paid to settle a loan as part of Brohm's contract.

That's a lot to spend for a school that's already spent a lot of money.

Still, you have to think it's a cost Louisville is willing to pay. No offense to other possible candidates out there, but I have a hard time believing the school decided to pay Petrino $14 million to go away so it could settle for Plan B or Plan C. That's just the price of doing business in amateur athletics these days.

Fleck will not leave in till a major program goal is achieved. Leaving short of that would be a big blow to the culture he preaches.

I also don't see many places to leave for that would be a fit. If he brings Gophs to a sustained, elevated level that would garner interest from that small group of top programs, there'd obviously have to be the opportunity and then fit becomes a big deal. ND was talked about but as many have said, he does not seem like a fit there. Maybe Mich when Harbaugh moves or is moved on?

Most likely IMO would be either of the SoCal schools.

Anyway, if last Saturday was a turning point and Gophs win out and then throw up 9-11 regular season wins in 2019, Fleck gets his contract redone with a nice bump/extension and much higher buyout $$.

Top Bottom