3rd coldest game in TCF Bank history; Brohm said Purdue wasn't ready for elements

I was at the Wisconsin game. For some reason I remembered it being colder then the I8 degrees
Because the wind was howling out of the NW at what seemed like 30 MPH.

Probably the craziest weather for an event at the New Brickhouse was the Vikings Monday night game in 2010(?) after the roof of the Metrodome fell in. Snow all day and night, they wore the Purple People Eater uniforms, and as part of the halftime commemoration Bud Grant came out in short sleeves and was carried off the field to the drunken cheers of tur crowd.

How are you not ready for the elements? This is the Big 10.

i'm sure it affected them a little, but I wouldn't say it was an advantage for us and not for them, because honestly, who likes to play in that kind of weather? Just cause Fleck said that, doesn't mean we weren't affected. We had quite a bit of bad passes and dropped passes too. The run should have been better for Purdue but nope, we stuffed their run the whole game... Maybe they were off that day, but it wasn't an advantage for any team. We have tons of southern kids with frozen streaks of boogers that probably second guessed their commitment to play for us that game because of the weather lol.

per Randy:

Embracing the cold

The temperature at kickoff Saturday was 21 degrees, making it the third-coldest college game in TCF Bank Stadium history. The Nov. 15, 2014, game against Ohio State had a kickoff temperature of 15, and the Nov. 23, 2013, game against Wisconsin started at 18 degrees.

Fleck was happy to see it.

"Our team was fired up all week. We saw what the temperature was going to be,'' he said. "This is Minnesota. We embraced it all week. We can't wait to get to November football in the state of Minnesota. The more home games we can have in the state of Minnesota [in November], that's an advantage.''

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm agreed. "I don't think we were ready for the elements,'' he said. "We let that get to us as well.''

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...fort-sets-tone-for-gophers-offense/500219532/

Go Gophers!!

Good luck playing on Sunday's if you cannot handle a little cold. the next month and a half I wonder how many NFL games will be played in the cold

Lame excuse and one he can take to Louisville

I was at the Wisconsin game. For some reason I remembered it being colder then the I8 degrees

Yeah, I thought that game was in the single digits. That game and Michigan St felt like the two coldest.

Yeah, I thought that game was in the single digits. That game and Michigan St felt like the two coldest.

I would have picked the Wisconsin game as the coldest. I echo whoever recalls beer turning to slush in the cans at the tailgate.

It's stupid but Claeys lost me with his cold weather wear. He looked so overdressed and scared of being cold.

Wisconsin was definitely the coldest. Even with winter mix the brass instruments in the band were freezing within a few seconds of not being played. I remember walking to tcf for morning practice, a little before 6am, (back when we weren't painting the feild and the band was allowed to use it the morning of the game) and seeing a negative number on the side of the scoreboard

Brohm looked over-dressed and it reflected in his teams performance.

PJ going with bald look and no camp... inspires toughness.

Good thing weather played a factor otherwise there would be a bunch of "Fleck outcoached Brohm" posts littering this form.

Brohm looked over-dressed and it reflected in his teams performance.

PJ going with bald look and no camp... inspires toughness.

Good thing weather played a factor otherwise there would be a bunch of "Fleck outcoached Brohm" posts littering this form.

Agreed, Brohm looked ridiculous with his ski mask. It wasn't that cold, especially when he gets to go warm up for 20 minutes at half time. Not very tough Jeff.

I think it temps lowered after kick off, I recall it geting down to 13-14 degrees and it was windy

I think it temps lowered after kick off, I recall it geting down to 13-14 degrees and it was windy

Both the Wisconsin & Michigan St games were 2 weeks later, after Thanksgiving so the sunset was earlier than this past Saturday.

The temp dropped like a rock vs Wisconsin after kick-off as it was a sunny day and the lack of cloud cover meant no natural insulation.

The Mich St game had a bitter 20-30 mph NW wind. I was unprepared for that one, did not get out of bed at all the next day.

The Purdue game, had cloud cover, southern winds, the temps held steady and even rose a few degrees. Right amount refreshments helped too.

Agreed, Brohm looked ridiculous with his ski mask. It wasn't that cold, especially when he gets to go warm up for 20 minutes at half time. Not very tough Jeff.

My wife said PJ was dumb to not wear a hat with his bald head. I told her it was the coach's job to act like he was not at all aware of the cold to send the psychological message to the players that it really wasn't that cold and that there was no reason to complain or worry about it. Apparently Brohm takes a different approach. Results speak for themselves.

per Randy:

Embracing the cold

The temperature at kickoff Saturday was 21 degrees, making it the third-coldest college game in TCF Bank Stadium history. The Nov. 15, 2014, game against Ohio State had a kickoff temperature of 15, and the Nov. 23, 2013, game against Wisconsin started at 18 degrees.

Fleck was happy to see it.

"Our team was fired up all week. We saw what the temperature was going to be,'' he said. "This is Minnesota. We embraced it all week. We can't wait to get to November football in the state of Minnesota. The more home games we can have in the state of Minnesota [in November], that's an advantage.''

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm agreed. "I don't think we were ready for the elements,'' he said. "We let that get to us as well.''

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...fort-sets-tone-for-gophers-offense/500219532/

Go Gophers!!

Brohm figured that more people would accept this excuse and forgive him and Purdue for the loss. It wouldn't look so good if he had told the truth. They were out -coached, lacked discipline and were vastly out-played.

Brohm figured that more people would accept this excuse and forgive him and Purdue for the loss. It wouldn't look so good if he had told the truth. They were out -coached, lacked discipline and were vastly out-played.

"I don't think we were ready for the elements" is Brohm-speak for "youngest team in the country."

I still think the team should come out of the locker room eating Dilly Bars on these cold days to intimidate the opponent.

"Cold? This is ice cream weather!"

I still think the team should come out of the locker room eating Dilly Bars on these cold days to intimidate the opponent.

"Cold? This is ice cream weather!"

Remember Duane Bennett running out for warm ups without his jersey on? Pretty sure it was the Iowa game. Now, combine the dilly bar with that...

Remember Duane Bennett running out for warm ups without his jersey on? Pretty sure it was the Iowa game. Now, combine the dilly bar with that...

The opponent would just turn around and go home before the game even starts!

My wife said PJ was dumb to not wear a hat with his bald head. I told her it was the coach's job to act like he was not at all aware of the cold to send the psychological message to the players that it really wasn't that cold and that there was no reason to complain or worry about it. Apparently Brohm takes a different approach. Results speak for themselves.

This reminds me of my only close encounter with Coach Kill.

It was his first set of spring practices and there was an "open to the public" session at TCF on a Friday night. Took the youngest and of course as the afternoon turned to evening a cold front came roaring through with Coach Kill out on the field in shorts and a long sleeve shirt...not even a windbreaker. As the practice progressed the snow squalls came through and the snow in the TCF lights swirled like a snowglobe...it was something to behold.

Anyway, at the end fans could go down to the field and we found Coach Kill for an autograph. He was frozen...literally shaking from his shivers...but he kindly obliged the autograph and then departed. In my mind I thought "welcome to Minnesota..."

I told the kid that he won't do that again. And sure enough, he was always dressed appropriately for the conditions from then on.

As to the current coach, he's a smart dresser. As best I can tell no heatstroke or frostbite, so he must know what he's doing. I'm not a hat guy myself so can't really judge.

What will look good on him is a Kamikaze Bomber hat.

I'm all for bundling up, but Brohm looked like he was going to be participating in the Iditarod.

Need a bronze of Dilly Bar Dan on the sidelines.

Speaking of which - during the Purdue game, I had a guy behind me telling his seatmate how "Tracy Claeys was eating a Dilly Bar on the sidelines a few years ago." I wonder how many people are stupid enough to actually believe that.

Speaking of which - during the Purdue game, I had a guy behind me telling his seatmate how "Tracy Claeys was eating a Dilly Bar on the sidelines a few years ago." I wonder how many people are stupid enough to actually believe that.

You mean he wasn’t?

Bud Grant never wore a hat. That guy was tough and very motivating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Grant never wore a hat. That guy was tough and very motivating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you meant stocking cap or any other winter head gear. I remember Bud always wearing a Vikings baseball cap on the sidelines.

Top Bottom