Post Game Thread

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
My apologies if there was already a thread, but great game and thoughts?
Here enjoying a post game beverage. Rossi and especially the defensive players, hats off!

sN3BQYw.jpg

Dilly Bar Approved!

Blake Cashman is my hero! Favorite player since I don’t know when, maybe since Ricky Foggie! Love that guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This group has a bright future if our defense keeps playing like that.

Minnesota’s largest margin of victory over Purdon’t since 1936!

Only Jeff Brohm’s 3rd loss in November as a head coach.

Brohm’s worst loss at Purdue, 13 more points than next nearest loss.

Purdon’t, -2 yards rushing through 3 quarters. 0 for 12 on 3rd downs for the game.

4 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties?

Oh what a week can do.

Gophers 5-1 at home!

Not to be a wet blanket, but next week will really tell the story. A lot of teams can, for various reasons, rise up and play inspired football for one game. The key, as it has been all season for the Gophers, is consistency. Can the Gophers come out next with with a similar effort? If they can put a couple games even similar to this back-to-back, that could quell some of the doubts people have about the program. If they can play 3 in a row like this, people might even want to buy a ticket to watch the team play.

I don't want to get ahead of myself - but you could paint a scenario where, if the Gophers played like this against Wisconsin - and (gasp) won, it might be the first step toward changing the perceptions of the program.

Of course, if they come out next week and lay an egg against NW, then it's back to square one. And such is the life of a Gopher fan. Show me a silver lining, and I'll look for the cloud, because we know there's a cloud there somewhere.

Nice win, let's hope jumping point, not a high point

Winning the Axe to become bowl-eligible would be the icing on the cake for me, but I wouldn’t complain about beating Northwestern instead.

This group has a bright future if our defense keeps playing like that.

Indeed they will, IF they can keep it up. I have to admit I was a big Fleck fan but my faith in Fleck is shaken. Today showed that the Goohers can play well and I think a good coach would have that team bring that game every week. Gophers got their asses absolutely kicked by MD, NE and IL. How did a highly paid coach not bring todays teams to those games? Im still cheering and hope we win out, but if we lose out it is on Fleck 100%. This guy better get the job done.

Not to be a wet blanket, but next week will really tell the story. A lot of teams can, for various reasons, rise up and play inspired football for one game. The key, as it has been all season for the Gophers, is consistency. Can the Gophers come out next with with a similar effort? If they can put a couple games even similar to this back-to-back, that could quell some of the doubts people have about the program. If they can play 3 in a row like this, people might even want to buy a ticket to watch the team play.

I don't want to get ahead of myself - but you could paint a scenario where, if the Gophers played like this against Wisconsin - and (gasp) won, it might be the first step toward changing the perceptions of the program.

Of course, if they come out next week and lay an egg against NW, then it's back to square one. And such is the life of a Gopher fan. Show me a silver lining, and I'll look for the cloud, because we know there's a cloud there somewhere.

Good Lord.

It was great to see the defense play in their gaps, fly to the ball, have more then one defender there to make a tackle, and show their character after the last few weeks. And for the first time the offensive line imposed their will and drained the energy of a defensive line. That was impressive.

Last edited:

They just won a conference game by 31 points. It’s ok to enjoy it without dissecting it for some deeper meaning.

Stop. Enjoy a freaking game for once. If you can't just take what was an incredibly fun win for what it was and stop being a Debbie Downer for at least 24 hours, maybe you shouldn't be following this team.

The previous Defense under Smith really sapped this Gopher team. His scheme made it difficult to make adjustments.

Simplifying it and switching to mostly zone defense and allowing Cashman and others to be aggressive changed the complexion of the game.

Will it work against NW and Wiscy? We will soon find out. I am certain they are already looking at the game film and making plans to counter the Gophers.

Whether Rossi can pull off a couple of unexpected victories determines the fortunes of the Gophers. It also may reward Rossi.

Beating Wisconsin will be huge for the momentum of this program. IMHO, Tanner Morgan has solidified his starting role.

I am seeing this team growing through adversity which bodes well for the future.

Let's hope for the best and that they will get that elusive win to become bowl eligible.

Last edited:

To be fair all of you blasting a guy for posting an opinion on a message board is comical. We all have differing opinions. I’m sure Son is thrilled about the win and how the team played. There was a sense of hope in his post. Maybe all he needs is a bro hug for all the years of futility gopher fans have endured.

Big time win. Defense looked great, and it is even more fun to know that we helped seal the deal for Northwestern in the west.

The previous Defense under Smith really sapped this Gopher team. His scheme made it difficult to make adjustments.

Simplifying it and switching to mostly zone defense and allowing Cashman and others to be aggressive changed the complexion of the game.

Will it work against NW and Wiscy? We will soon find out. I am certain they are already looking at the game film and making plans to counter the Gophers.

Whether Rossi can pull off a couple of unexpected victories determines the fortunes of the Gophers. It also may reward Rossi.

Beating Wisconsin will be huge for the momentum of this program. IMHO, Tanner Morgan has solidified his starting role.

I am seeing this team growing through adversity which bodes well for the future.

Let's hope for the best and that they will get that elusive win to become bowl eligible.

Giving up big explosive plays on defense is what killed us in most of our loses this year. The great news is that neither Wisconsin or Northwestern is very explosive at all on offense. Both are solid teams that play good defense but offensively they don't scare you a ton.

With Wisconsin it is all about stopping the run because their passing game looks a lot like the one we have run out there in the years prior to this one. Northwestern has really struggled to run but also isn't overly explosive through the air. They beat you by playing good sound football and taking advantage of mistakes you make.

If we get the kind of effort on defense we saw yesterday, and the offense hangs onto the ball, both games are very winnable.

A couple of offensive observations:
(1) Offensive line has improved so much over the course of the year. It felt like a lot of the time recently (dating back to Cobb) our RBs created a ton of yards for us out of thin air. Yesterday we dominated up front and that group should continue to get better.
(2) Ibrahim and Williams (great TD run) are getting better but I think both of them will benefit immensely from another year in the weight room. Ibrahim in particular seems to get brought down by too many arm tackles.
(3) Didn't like the offensive play calling to start the game. Way too much chuck it deep. It's especially frustrating because neither QB has a great arm, but throw the short stuff pretty accurately. I'd like to see more variety in the pass route combinations in general. To be fair to Kirk, a good throw to TJ6 on his whip route would've been six.
(4) I agree with those who said that adding the TE in the passing game would be a fantastic counter to over-aggressive LBs and Safeties. The TD TE pop pass was perfect.

I get the sense that there are still significant nuances in our offense that Kirk hasn't implemented. I hope we come out with some creative extensions of what we've already shown for these next two games. I think that both of our next two games are very winnable if our defensive performance yesterday wasn't a fluke.

Just a few thoughts:

The play of the defense was like night and day from last week. Props to coach Fleck and Rossi.

Donnell Greene may be the most underappreciated player on the Gophers roster.

Daniel Faalele could be the first Gopher selected in the round 1 of the NFL draft since Laurence Maroney in 2006. He is really good.

As much as I'd hate to see another freshmen QB starting next season, I don't think that the play of Tanner Morgan or Zack Annexstad has completely shut the door on Jacob Clark or Cole Kramer coming in and pushing them for the job.

4 of the Gophers 5 losses have come on the road. They are much better at home.

4 of the Gophers 5 losses have come against teams with athletic QBs. Neither NW or WI have athletic QBs.

Northwestern at home with their pro-style QB is probably more winnable than a road game in Madison.

Can OJ Smith get a medical hardship waiver? Would he want one?

To be fair all of you blasting a guy for posting an opinion on a message board is comical. We all have differing opinions. I’m sure Son is thrilled about the win and how the team played. There was a sense of hope in his post. Maybe all he needs is a bro hug for all the years of futility gopher fans have endured.

I don't need a hug. Thanks anyway. Just expressing an opinion:

last week, Gophers lose and look bad. everyone was down on the team.

This week, Gophers win and look good. everyone excited about the team.

It's all about consistency. IF this team can play 2 or 3 good games in a row, that would be a real sign of growth and development. That would signal a sign of real hope for the future. One week can be an omen - or it can be a mirage.

For all the people jumping up and down and cheering today, IF the Gophers get run off the field by Northwestern, many of the same people will be jeering next week.

A team does not turn the corner in one week. growth and progress are measured over time.

Good Lord.

No kidding..:confused:

I don't need a hug. Thanks anyway. Just expressing an opinion:

last week, Gophers lose and look bad. everyone was down on the team.

This week, Gophers win and look good. everyone excited about the team.

It's all about consistency. IF this team can play 2 or 3 good games in a row, that would be a real sign of growth and development. That would signal a sign of real hope for the future. One week can be an omen - or it can be a mirage.

For all the people jumping up and down and cheering today, IF the Gophers get run off the field by Northwestern, many of the same people will be jeering next week.

A team does not turn the corner in one week. growth and progress are measured over time.
I am jumping up and down today and will not be jeering next week regardless of outcome.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Was watching an on demand replay of the game today and noticed a stat in the 4th quarter that I don't think has really been discussed. Coming into the game Purdue was second to only Clemson in the entire FBS in explosive plays on offense (think it was more than 40 yards). Weather may have played a factor in things but for a defense that was giving up big plays at an epic rate to completely shut out one of the best of the country in that stat is truly amazing.

And it didn't really feel like they were on the verge of breaking big plays either, it felt like our defense was always there to make the play. Moore (#4) was super frustrated, he has had his way with pretty much everyone this year but could get nothing significant against us.

Man I hope this wasn't a flash in the pan and this is the defense we see going forward. If it is, combined with the offense we can see developing this could be a really good football team. Will be very interesting to see how the team plays on Saturday against Northwestern.

Just a few thoughts:

The play of the defense was like night and day from last week. Props to coach Fleck and Rossi.

Donnell Greene may be the most underappreciated player on the Gophers roster.

Daniel Faalele could be the first Gopher selected in the round 1 of the NFL draft since Laurence Maroney in 2006. He is really good.

As much as I'd hate to see another freshmen QB starting next season, I don't think that the play of Tanner Morgan or Zack Annexstad has completely shut the door on Jacob Clark or Cole Kramer coming in and pushing them for the job.

4 of the Gophers 5 losses have come on the road. They are much better at home.

4 of the Gophers 5 losses have come against teams with athletic QBs. Neither NW or WI have athletic QBs.

Northwestern at home with their pro-style QB is probably more winnable than a road game in Madison.

Can OJ Smith get a medical hardship waiver? Would he want one?

Absolutely agree on the defense and Greene. He is a big factor on the O-Line and when he is out there we play so much better on offense. He will be missed next year but hopefully Dickson or someone else can step in and take over. Wouldn't shock me to see Faalele find his way over to the LT spot as well.

Speaking of Faalele, if he stays on an upward trajectory his odds of getting selected in the first round of the draft are off the charts. A 400 lbs guy that moves like him is not easy to find. To be as new to the game of football as he is and to be this good all ready is scary because he is just scratching the surface. Assuming he stays healthy and keeps improving it will be a ton of fun to watch our RB run behind him for the next few seasons.

Agree that the QB position won't be locked down and competition will be open next year but man is it great to have multiple reliable options at that position. Definitely hope for some great play at the QB position as the current guys develop and the new guys come in.

Our defense should matchup well against both Northwestern and Wisconsin. Both games will be difficult but if we get the kind of effort we got yesterday from the defense and the offense avoids turnovers both games are very winnable. Odds of beating Northwestern are probably a little better because the game is at home but this is not a very good Wisconsin team this year and is probably the most beatable they have been in a long long time.

Top Bottom