Reaching Five Wins

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Just an observational thing I've noticed. Since 2012, the Gophers have won at least five games in a season every year. Including tonight's that's seven consecutive seasons. Looking back at the team's history, that's the first time the Gophers have had at least five wins that many seasons in a row in quite some time. Last time the team had seven consecutive seasons with at least five wins was 1899-1905.

Between then and now, the team would have streaks of four to five seasons with at least five wins, but never more.

1913-1916, Four seasons
1925-1929, Five seasons
1934-1938, Five seasons
1940-1944, Five seasons
1946-1949, Four seasons
1975-1978, Four seasons
2002-2006, Five seasons

Not meant to be negative or anything. Just something noticeable.

Interesting. Of course, even through the '70s the season was shorter, so a five-win season was more of an accomplishment.

Still ... I'm guessing you're a "glass is half full" kinda person, right? :D

JTG

the point being that the Gophers, if nothing else, have avoided "bottoming out," and falling to one of those truly inept 1-win or 2-win seasons. In the pros, bottoming out means high draft picks and an infusion of talent. In college sports, bottoming out often makes it more difficult to recruit, and provide an infusion of talent.

Given a choice, you would prefer to be great, or at least really good. But at least, you're not really sh**ty, and I guess that counts for something.

Interesting. Of course, even through the '70s the season was shorter, so a five-win season was more of an accomplishment.

JTG

Oh yeah, totally. Didn't really put much stock in number of games. Shorter seasons had different implications, for sure. Was just something I noticed. And yeah, I am glass half full, or at least I try to be haha.

On the note of comparison....we now only play 3 non conference games. People love to talk about the good ole days of Glen Mason going to bowls. They played 4 non conference games back then, generally an easier road to 6 wins.

Bumping this just because I noticed it looking at Winsipedia. For the first time in program history, Minnesota now has eight consecutive seasons with at least five wins, going back to 2012. Not a huge milestone but there's been at least consistency in the team earning wins without a drop off. Again the number of games played in a season have varied, but regardless, found it interesting.

Bumping this just because I noticed it looking at Winsipedia. For the first time in program history, Minnesota now has eight consecutive seasons with at least five wins, going back to 2012. Not a huge milestone but there's been at least consistency in the team earning wins without a drop off. Again the number of games played in a season have varied, but regardless, found it interesting.

These are facts that pretty much sum up my life of watching gopher football.

And why this year is making me very happy.

Top Bottom