Would a Conference Record of 3 - 6 Be Considered A Successful Season

SonoranGopher1

Reaction score
I would say absolutely! It means we improved YOY, we made a bowl game, and we beat Northwestern or Wisky this year. If we ended up winning one of the next two, I would be ecstatic. We also beat a Fresno State team that is looking good this year. There is still hope!! Row the Boat!

Big Ten wins always help...

I would say absolutely! It means we improved YOY, we made a bowl game, and we beat Northwestern or Wisky this year. If we ended up winning one of the next two, I would be ecstatic. We also beat a Fresno State team that is looking good this year. There is still hope!! Row the Boat!

It would be an improvement over the 2017 season. That would be great! The win over Purdue today was the BEST Big Ten win the GOPHER has had in the Fleck Era to date. Congratulations to the players and the coaches. Beating Purdue the way you did was a VERY significant accomplishment. You honored the GOPHER TRADITION today. Put this one in the bank and let it grow with compounded interest. Thanks! Today's win has been added to this old timer's memory of great GOPHER FOOTBALL Big Ten wins.

Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Yes. Improvement over last year. Not to mention that we are playing shorthanded......while missing a few of our best players.

I don't think a 3-6 conference record can ever be seen as a success but I also don't think this team should be judged on their record at this point either.

This season has been a success on offense as the young guys are getting a lot of experience and are showing signs of being a very impressive unit down the line. To this point the season has been a disaster on defense but today provided a glimmer of hope and if the performance from today continues for the remainder of the season then there would be reason to have hope for the D heading into next season as beyond.

If you’d told me before the season that we were going to get 1 game from Rodney and 3 from Antoine, I’d have taken 6-6, understanding too that one of the NC’s was a quality opponent.

For the most part, yes. It would be improvement from last year, with a younger team (the coach doesn't like to talk about it much, but just so you guys know, we're super young), and would mean a win over a NW or WI team that crushed us last year, so we would be ending the season on a good note, and going bowling.

On the other hand, losing in the manner we did to MD, IA, NE and IL stings. If our defense played close to this well against those teams we might have even a couple more wins.

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch though. Still gotta get that sixth win!

If you’d told me before the season that we were going to get 1 game from Rodney and 3 from Antoine, I’d have taken 6-6, understanding too that one of the NC’s was a quality opponent.

Yep. I'll take it, too. Would be a big step in the right direction, all things considered.

JTG

It would be an improvement over the 2017 season. That would be great! The win over Purdue today was the BEST Big Ten win the GOPHER has had in the Fleck Era to date. Congratulations to the players and the coaches. Beating Purdue the way you did was a VERY significant accomplishment. You honored the GOPHER TRADITION today. Put this one in the bank and let it grow with compounded interest. Thanks! Today's win has been added to this old timer's memory of great GOPHER FOOTBALL Big Ten wins.

Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

By Sagarin ratings it's the best win since 2010 against Iowa when Jeff Horton was head coach.

Consideeing all of the injury's lost top 3 players and having to replace defensive coordinator, yes. Yes I would consider this season a success finishing 3 6 in Big 10 would be accomplishment. Finishing is not something Gophers are known for. I hope they continue t build on t hi week, they are playing for a lot the next two weeks. My legs and feet are still fricken cold but it was worth going today.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

An OK season. 4-5 would be great, all things considered, and I think it’s doable. Get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might as well just win both games. We now know the defense's problem was not personnel.

No, it means we are a conference bottom-feeder and average overall. Improvement, yes, but not successful.

A slight step forward but a step forward. We took a bigger step back than we needed to last year but it would be progress from where we are.

No. 33.3% against your conference peers is a bad year. That said, if it came with an axe, getting that monkey of our back would take some of the sting off.

Can’t be considered “successful” unless they end up knocking off Wisconsin which is very feasible IMO, or go out with a bowl win, 7+ wins. That’s a solid step up from last season. Lose the final two, particularly in brutal fashion and the air goes out of the balloon again.

I’ll be interested to see if the guys can move the ball vs two better (but not elite this year) defenses and stop Wisconsin’s run and get pressure on their QB on passing downs. Their QB is really struggling. If the guys close out the year strong in defense that’s also a successful sign for next year albeit we will lose one of the top playmakers next year.

This is kind of a question without a correct answer.

Some will feel a 6-6 record met or beat expectations. Others will not be happy with a 7-5 finish.

This is kind of a question without a correct answer.

Some will feel a 6-6 record met or beat expectations. Others will not be happy with a 7-5 finish.

I wish there was a forum where people could express those differing views.

I wish there was a forum where people could express those differing views.

You mean you weren’t happy with the direction of the team prior to yesterday? What’s wrong with you?

/s

I think success for the next two games can, to a point, be judged against how the team performed last year against the same opponents. If Minnesota is competitive then they have ended the season on a success note even without a win. A win or two would be great too.

4-5 would have indicated better staff management Fleck.

I had Purdue as a W at the beginning of the year. Of the final two, want them both!

Would a Conference Record of 3 - 6 Be Considered A Successful Season

Win the ax? yes. Otherwise no.

Look at it this way:

We are 2-5. If we finish 3-6 we will have either defeated the B1G West champions or have won the Axe. Not bad.

No 3-6 in a he big ten in my opinion is not a successful season and never should be cosidered succesful. Improved season - sure. However I would be pleased with that recordbased on where we were a week ago.

A frame of reference is necessary. Compared to the hopes of most entering the Big Ten season - NO.

Compared to the feelings and expectations when we were left for dead after the Nebraska game and once again after the Illinois game - DEFINITELY.

I really, really hope we get the 6th win next weekend, though. Wisconsin appears more vulnerable than they have in years, but one thing this team hasn't demonstrated it can do yet - win on the road.

I've said many times the "make or break" portion of the schedule was the five games beginning with Nebraska. After surprising Purdue, we find ourselves at 2-2 in that stretch. A win over Northwestern this Saturday make that a successful run, despite the lost opportunities against Nebraska and Illinois.

When I first honed in on these five games, Wisconsin was looking relatively unassailable. That is obviously no longer true. Therefore, one win in these last two games (and a minor bowl berth) makes this a good season. It's not where I want to be in the future, but given the injuries and defenestration of the DC, it's a good season.

JTG

Look at it this way:

We are 2-5. If we finish 3-6 we will have either defeated the B1G West champions or have won the Axe. Not bad.

Exactly. The positive mojo of winning 2 of the last 3 in those circumstances would have us feeling much better than the basic improvement of 1 game in the standings.

6-6 on the surface ain't great. But there were 3 realistic goals coming into the year - find a starting QB, make a bowl, and get at least 1 win of substance. All would be achieved in this scenario.

Can’t be considered “successful” unless they end up knocking off Wisconsin which is very feasible IMO, or go out with a bowl win, 7+ wins. That’s a solid step up from last season. Lose the final two, particularly in brutal fashion and the air goes out of the balloon again.

I’ll be interested to see if the guys can move the ball vs two better (but not elite this year) defenses and stop Wisconsin’s run and get pressure on their QB on passing downs. Their QB is really struggling. If the guys close out the year strong in defense that’s also a successful sign for next year albeit we will lose one of the top playmakers next year.

Bring the ax home!

I'm trying to be fair, here.

I'm not sure you can judge "success" or "failure" based strictly on the team's record. Fleck says he has a plan. The plan called for an influx of youth this year, and potentially a step backwards. So, if we take Fleck at his word, this was all part of the plan.

Now, I'm sure the plan did not call for some of the issues on defense. But, putting that aside, the head coach says he's following a plan that worked at his last job.

So, I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Yes, the inconsistency is annoying, to say the least. But, in the end, I'm willing to look at the big picture. Instead of getting all worked up over one game, I will wait and see if the plan is a good plan.

That means an ultimate judgement might not be reached until next year, or even two years from now.

Bottom line - IF the Gophers go (let's say) 8-4 in 2018, or 10-2 in 2019, then this year could be judged a success in that it laid the foundation for future success. You can't build a house without pouring a foundation.

BUT - if the house falls down 2 years from now, I reserve the right to revise my opinion................

Top Bottom