Would a Conference Record of 3 - 6 Be Considered A Successful Season

It probably is considering it will mean that we finished strong, but you wonder if in future years the Big10 is going to look like this. Michigan is the best team and we didn't play them. Northwestern won our half and has an Akron loss on their resume. 3 wins could be looked at as a victory with the injuries and problems we have had or it could be looked at as a complete disaster given the weakness of our conference.

At the beginning of the season, NO! As of where we are now, YES!

No way, failed season already... I just hope we are competitive the last two games.

No way, failed season already... I just hope we are competitive the last two games.
Axe and a bowl game would be a major success overall.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Failed season already? So nothing that they do going forward can change your mind? What if they beat Northwestern, beat Wisconsin, and win a bowl game, thus finishing 8-5? Still a failed season?

Mind you, I wouldn't count on that happening. But it seems strange to issue a declarative statement like you did.

An additional thought....Often times when you look at a struggling program that turns the corner and becomes successful it can be pinpointed to a specific play or game. If yesterdays game was a game we will look back on and say, "it all started with that game against Purdue, then yes it was a successful season.

Full disclosure....the win against Purdue may eventually be looked at as:
1. The firing of Robb Smith and the coming out party of Rossi
2. Without the performance Gophers had against Illinois, the game against Purdue is just another game. You have to hit rock bottom before you can start climbing to the top.

It's a disappointing season even with one more win.

Two more wins and we call it something else. .

Failed season already? So nothing that they do going forward can change your mind? What if they beat Northwestern, beat Wisconsin, and win a bowl game, thus finishing 8-5? Still a failed season?

Mind you, I wouldn't count on that happening. But it seems strange to issue a declarative statement like you did.

So are we erasing the bad losses to Illinois and Nebraska from memory? I didn't expect us to win every game, but those are games you just can't lose badly in. You can't say successful season based on the last games, even if they win. Would you seriously call it a successful season if we end up beating wisconsin and ignore the rest of the season?

So are we erasing the bad losses to Illinois and Nebraska from memory? I didn't expect us to win every game, but those are games you just can't lose badly in. You can't say successful season based on the last games, even if they win. Would you seriously call it a successful season if we end up beating wisconsin and ignore the rest of the season?
I would. Axe and a bowl. Progress. It would mean the team overcame adversity amd didn't quit after Illinois.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Huh? Who's ignoring the rest of the season? The entire discussion is looking at the season in its entirety and deciding if it was a success or not. Every season is going to have wins and losses, highs and lows, triumphs and disappointments. You said the season was already failed, which indicated that no further developments would change that. I find that odd, as I pointed out, if Minnesota finishes 8-5 with the Axe and a bowl win.

Huh? Who's ignoring the rest of the season? The entire discussion is looking at the season in its entirety and deciding if it was a success or not. Every season is going to have wins and losses, highs and lows, triumphs and disappointments. You said the season was already failed, which indicated that no further developments would change that. I find that odd, as I pointed out, if Minnesota finishes 8-5 with the Axe and a bowl win.

Winning the last two would be great and give me more hope, but by no means would I call it a successful season. If we beat the teams we should have beaten, and steal a couple games against our hated rivals, then yes. Again, that's my opinion only... as you have yours, so no point in us debating about it.

That means an ultimate judgement might not be reached until next year, or even two years from now.

Balderdash. Here's the way it works in elite conferences. A coach (at least in the majority of programs) gets a free pass in the first year. If the first year goes poorly and there isn't significant improvement in the second year, fans start some serious grumbling. If the team still isn't very good in the third year, then the coach's seat is very hot or he is fired. If we win at least one more game this year, then, coupled with the improvements in the offense, that will be significant improvement. If not, this year will be another disappointment and Fleck will have to show more next year. If you continue to lose, "Laying a foundation" is just empty rhetoric.

Winning the last two would be great and give me more hope, but by no means would I call it a successful season. If we beat the teams we should have beaten, and steal a couple games against our hated rivals, then yes. Again, that's my opinion only... as you have yours, so no point in us debating about it.

Agreed. No reason we shouldn't be 6-4 or 7-3 right now. Winning out salvages this season.

To me it is not about the wins and losses until next year. It is about building a culture and i see him doing that.

What close losses should have been wins?

Nice attempted qualifier, making gwg proud. Should have beaten Illinois. Nebby was a toss up. Both games defense looked lost. Maryland...5-5 and fading. Opportunities were there for the taking.

Nice attempted qualifier, making gwg proud. Should have beaten Illinois. Nebby was a toss up. Both games defense looked lost. Maryland...5-5 and fading. Opportunities were there for the taking.

We lost to Illinois by 24. Just curious, why should we have beaten them? Or Nebraska?

I'm as big of a Gopher homer as anyone and want to believe Purdue is our normal game and Ill/Neb are outliers, but there is nothing really to suggest that yet.

We lost to Illinois by 24. Just curious, why should we have beaten them? Or Nebraska?

I'm as big of a Gopher homer as anyone and want to believe Purdue is our normal game and Ill/Neb are outliers, but there is nothing really to suggest that yet.

So you honestly thought the Gophs would lose to Illinois?

Off the deep end again I see....by your logic the Gophers should have been 12-0 every year for the last 8 years. All those games were there for the taking. :rolleyes:

3-6 in the conference isn’t good. Either is 4-5. However, if the wins are against Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern and wisconsin that makes me feel better. Some good teams in there having good years. So no, 3-6 or even 4-5 isn’t successful but it’s not terrible. And shows progress. And you will have beat either the Big Ten West champ or a rival you haven’t beat in 13? years so that doesn’t suck.

So you honestly thought the Gophs would lose to Illinois?

Before the game I thought we would win. There was nothing I witnessed during the game that told me "we should have won."

If PJ wins one of these next two, great.

If he wins both he'll get another extension.

IMHO, this season is already a winner. The Gophers faced adversity and have had tough loses. They learned as team even in defeat. They are learning through failure. If they avenge the shut outs from the last two games last season, it will be considered a successful season.

Every season can be better, there will never be a season that is 'good enough' for Minnesota, however, getting to a bowl game and getting those extra practices is an absolute necessity with a team as young as this one, so Fleck needs to fight tooth and nail to pull it off.

If PJ wins one of these next two, great.

If he wins both he'll get another extension.

Fleck does not deserve an extension after the way the team has played this year.
Coyle absolutely should not extend him after a season in which we lost 4 straight big 10 games to start the season.

IMHO, this season is already a winner. The Gophers faced adversity and have had tough loses. They learned as team even in defeat. They are learning through failure. If they avenge the shut outs from the last two games last season, it will be considered a successful season.

I think PJ hacked hungan's account.

Fleck does not deserve an extension after the way the team has played this year.
Coyle absolutely should not extend him after a season in which we lost 4 straight big 10 games to start the season.

To be be clear, sometimes extensions are given for reasons OTHER than the team's record. Last year, for example, Coyle extended Fleck's contract (without a raise in pay) because both Florida and Tennessee were coming after him and Coyle wanted to lock him into a longer contract, especially for recruiting purposes.

I'm not saying it's 100% deserved, but I can definitely see another year or two being added on by Coyle to maintain loyalty.
That's been Coyle's strategy with Fleck the whole time. Get him and keep him loyal so if he is successful he more likely stays.

Top Bottom