Would a Conference Record of 3 - 6 Be Considered A Successful Season

If you finish 3-6 in conference while also improving or at least being competitve in the next 2 games, I would say yes, it has been successful for a second year of a new coach. However, if they end up being blown out the next 2 games and not being competitive, I would say that NO, it has not been a successful season. Show up to play, steal one of these next 2 and you have a little bit of solid ground to stand on going forward. Get blown out the last 2 and expect the questions and more change the coach talk around town.

Boy is that a low bar. I thought we were done treating 6 and 7 win seasons as any kind of accomplishment.

I'm not saying he should get an extention, but if 7 wins is the baseline and every few years sneak up into that 8-10 win range? That is as good as it will probably get here. The Gophers had that, or at least close to that in Glen Mason,
and I'm pretty sure they figured out already they made a mistake getting rid of him.

Do I want more? Yes, but even look at Iowa. If the Gopher football program was as successful as they were, I'm pretty sure people around here would be happy. That is about where they sit generally year to year.

If you finish 3-6 in conference while also improving or at least being competitve in the next 2 games, I would say yes, it has been successful for a second year of a new coach. However, if they end up being blown out the next 2 games and not being competitive, I would say that NO, it has not been a successful season. Show up to play, steal one of these next 2 and you have a little bit of solid ground to stand on going forward. Get blown out the last 2 and expect the questions and more change the coach talk around town.

yep

There's redeeming value to the whopping loss to Illinois. It got Robb Smith out of the picture.

The onus is on PJ Fleck for not doing it sooner.

Agree that getting blown out in either of these remaining regular season games would be really disappointing. I really don't see that happening against Northwestern because they just are not that good offensively. Against Wisconsin it will all come down to how we do against the run because their passing attack is garbage right now.

Time to give the Essen Haus Stein back and get rid of the d@mn curse.

There's redeeming value to the whopping loss to Illinois. It got Robb Smith out of the picture.

The onus is on PJ Fleck for not doing it sooner.

Before we think Robb Smith is SOLE problem, lets see how last 2 shake out

and this is from guy who wanted Smith fired, and once I read up on him after the hire, was very confused and not optimistic about said hire

I'm not saying he should get an extention, but if 7 wins is the baseline and every few years sneak up into that 8-10 win range? That is as good as it will probably get here. The Gophers had that, or at least close to that in Glen Mason,
and I'm pretty sure they figured out already they made a mistake getting rid of him.

Do I want more? Yes, but even look at Iowa. If the Gopher football program was as successful as they were, I'm pretty sure people around here would be happy. That is about where they sit generally year to year.

Basically what I want. Lows around 6 wins and the occasional run at B1GW title

Before we think Robb Smith is SOLE problem, lets see how last 2 shake out

and this is from guy who wanted Smith fired, and once I read up on him after the hire, was very confused and not optimistic about said hire

I don't think PJ can be blamed for not moving quicker with firing Robb Smith. You can't just willy nilly start firing people after only a couple bad games.
BUT... What you CAN blame him for was hiring Robb Smith in the first place.

I put more blame on PJ for hiring Smith in the first place. Once hired, you needed to give him some time and I felt he gave him the right amount of chances and the Illinois loss was obviously the right time to pull the plug.

If we end up holding Northwestern and Wisconsin to 10 points a game, Robb Smith will look like one of the worst DC's ever.

Basically what I want. Lows around 6 wins and the occasional run at B1GW title

So we just need to roll back to 8 conference games with 4 non-conference games and we're pretty much there.

To me it is not about the wins and losses until next year. It is about building a culture and i see him doing that.

Don't be so impressed by rhetoric. Every coach is trying to "build a culture." Every coach is trying to "build a foundation." Without a respectable level of success, those things mean nothing.

Top Bottom