wisconsin loses, iowa fans all over the ferentz's, and brohm

WI has 4 losses on the season so far (the most in the Paul Chryst era), and their next 2 games are not gimmes (at Purdue, MN). Their SB Nation blog has an in-depth article today that says they are due for a collapse.

I really hope this turns out to be true but we have been waiting for the drunk skunks to be bad for over a decade.

Wow! That’s an interesting tidbit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how Purdue, with so much less talent than even the hapless Minnesota Gophers have could be ranked higher in the Sagarin rankings. And for that matter, since we're both 5-5 and that's all that matters (when comparing to a coach that has beaten better teams than Fleck has) how can one 5-5 team be ranked 20 and another be ranked - less than 20 since they're both 5-5......

Wisconsin’s 6 wins have come against teams that are a combined 18-42. Their offense should be good regardless of the QB situation but they’re not right now.

Wow! That's encouraging information.

Wow! That's encouraging information.

While the Gophers wins came against a 21-25 record, it’s a lot better since imo the badgers are a more established team. That’s just 5 wins/games I might add.

I wonder how Purdue, with so much less talent than even the hapless Minnesota Gophers have could be ranked higher in the Sagarin rankings. And for that matter, since we're both 5-5 and that's all that matters (when comparing to a coach that has beaten better teams than Fleck has) how can one 5-5 team be ranked 20 and another be ranked - less than 20 since they're both 5-5......

Curious why you quoted my post for this post?

I saw this and have been trying to think of an answer, but I am not quite sure I understand the question.

I might reply later with an answer but I will probably just provide some other stats showing we are young or to give some credence to the idea this was a historic win.

I saw this and have been trying to think of an answer, but I am not quite sure I understand the question.

I might reply later with an answer but I will probably just provide some other stats showing we are young or to give some credence to the idea this was a historic win.

It was a very good win. It was not historic. Knocking off #2 Penn State in 99 was historic.

And no need to reply. The questions were in reference to certain denizens on this board who feel the need to pump up all things Fleck and tear down anything that doesn't suggest he's the greatest coach of all time. He may get there. Saturday was the first real step in that direction since he's gotten here.

Last edited:

WI has 4 losses on the season so far (the most in the Paul Chryst era), and their next 2 games are not gimmes (at Purdue, MN). Their SB Nation blog has an in-depth article today that says they are due for a collapse.

Collapse prediction 23653-G

Purdue loses almost the entire offense to graduation next year. Let's see how they do next year before anyone anoints Brohm the next Saban.

Wow, their head coach is 41-10 and 26-7 in the Big Ten. They could still be 9-4. If we had a coach that got to 41-10 it would be statue time. He is a hell of a coach.

Wow, their head coach is 41-10 and 26-7 in the Big Ten. They could still be 9-4. If we had a coach that got to 41-10 it would be statue time. He is a hell of a coach.

I agree that Chryst is a very good coach but he also walked into a great situation with a program that had been winning at a very high level for quite a while now. This year has definitely been a step back year for them, the question will be how they rebound in the future.

It was a very good win. It was not historic. Knocking off #2 Penn State in 99 was historic.

And no need to reply. The questions were in reference to certain denizens on this board who feel the need to pump up all things Fleck and tear down anything that doesn't suggest he's the greatest coach of all time. He may get there. Saturday was the first real step in that direction since he's gotten here.

I think Fresno State was the first step. Still a long ways to go though.

As someone who can see degrees in things I will freely admit that Purdue's 5-5 is more impressive then our 5-5 this season but there are many on this board that only see the W/L record so if they are consistent with their evaluations then they should see Fleck and Brohm as equal. No other way to see it....

cool...your boy Brohm lost to Fleck though. How you gonna see that in your degrees?

cool...your boy Brohm lost to Fleck though. How you gonna see that in your degrees?

You are taking my comment totally out of context but I still stand by the belief that Purdue's 5-5 is more impressive then our 5-5 because theirs includes wins over Ohio State, Boston College, and Iowa. Our best win is either Fresno State or Purdue.

I am not one of the people who fauns over Brohm and I am a big believer in Fleck and what he is trying to accomplish. So don't try to make what I said into something else by viewing it on its own and not in relation to the comments that led to me posting what I did about the team's records.

wi collapse version 18.0

You are taking my comment totally out of context but I still stand by the belief that Purdue's 5-5 is more impressive then our 5-5 because theirs includes wins over Ohio State, Boston College, and Iowa. Our best win is either Fresno State or Purdue.

I am not one of the people who fauns over Brohm and I am a big believer in Fleck and what he is trying to accomplish. So don't try to make what I said into something else by viewing it on its own and not in relation to the comments that led to me posting what I did about the team's records.

Brohm had a great year but he inherited a veteran laden team with a senior QB. If I were Brohm I am thinking that Louisville job would be too good to pass up. If he stays at Purdue he is going to lose most of his offense from graduations so if he does stay he is planning on being there for the long haul. Fleck meanwhile inherited a team that had huge holes on the DL, defensive secondary, the offensive line and of course QB. Purdue was a much easier job to inherit at the time but if both jobs were open at the end of this year, I think the Gopher job would be in the best position going forward.

Their time is over

Not sure their time is over but this is the most vulnerable Wisconsin has looked in a long time. Will be very interesting to see how their game with Purdue goes.

I really hope this turns out to be true but we have been waiting for the drunk skunks to be bad for over a decade.

Well, we were waiting just as long for them to fall from their status as one of the conference's elite basketball teams and that finally happened last year.

Sconnie did have the more difficult crossover schedule - getting Michigan and Penn State on the road.

Finally, after what seemed liked years of weak crossover games.

I think our biggest take away from beating a decent Purdue team is that the alternative could have been a real soul crusher to keeping recruits locked in. Win or lose the last two games against good opponents, at least we don't finish the Big 10 season getting rolled in the last three games like last year. You can rationalize last year as year 1(0), but being the door mat of the big ten in year 2(1) would have been hard to take, and might have opened the door to some decommits.

Top Bottom