Northwestern just clinched

gopher7

Reaction score
Does this make our game with them easier? I'm thinking they should rest their QB next week, maybe their backup too just to be safe.

Does this make our game with them easier? I'm thinking they should rest their QB next week, maybe their backup too just to be safe.

Agreed. I mean, they do it in the NFL. Be smart and rest up for that B1G title game.

:)

Sneaking suspicion that Fitzgerald will have them ready to go :)

That said, it would not be crazy to think their players may be a little more complacent next week coming off a huge win this week and having the West division locked up and their ticket to Indy punched. Would also think our guys would be pretty pumped after today.

Weird year in the West. I think I heard somewhere that Big 10 wins are all that matter. I guess that's right.

Weird year in the West. I think I heard somewhere that Big 10 wins are all that matter. I guess that's right.

Nobody in the West has fewer then 4 loses at this point. That said, Northwestern is a really good team and it will take an effort similar to the one from today to beat those guys next week.

Gophers can clinch a bowel game if they upset Northwestern. That would be huge for Seniors like Cashman, Shenault and Donnel Greene. They could have left but stayed with it.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Upset Northwestern? They had to come from behind to beat Rutgers. Then again we were blown out by Illinois. Curious to see what unfolds.

Nerds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in my opinion. However, they have to be looking at a bit of tape, from here on out on Michigan and tOSU. I would expect that from any staff - with a Rose Bowl opportunity on the line.

Northwestern, as someone said last week, is like a little kid who falls down numerous flights of stairs and almost always sticks the landing. Gophers have a lot to be playing for next weekend so I hope they continue the momentum they found today. Ski U Mah!

The gophers have a chance because northwestern is mediocre.
When everybody is mediocre the home team always has a chance.

If Northwestern had lost today, they would have been hell next week. As it is, they make a normal effort as they have the title sewed up.

Sneaking suspicion that Fitzgerald will have them ready to go :)

That said, it would not be crazy to think their players may be a little more complacent next week coming off a huge win this week and having the West division locked up and their ticket to Indy punched. Would also think our guys would be pretty pumped after today.

Not to mention they finish with Illinois at home. If the Gophers are as jacked as they were this week it’ll be a good game.

Look at our schedule. Gophers are a much better team at home. Just beat Indy and Purdue @ home. Lost to Illinois and got worked by both Nebraska and Maryland on the road. I think if we are here.....we absolutely have a chance.

Northwestern seems to just "less mistakes" other teams.

Iowa had to drives at the end to take a lead and fumbled on boths. Granted NW hit them, but still, that's uncanny bad luck on two drives in a row for Iowa.

We played Iowa okay and we can score.
NW offense isn't potent. Their defense appears solid, but Iowa's was supposed to be to, and we could score on them.

I expect a much better result than we got last year when we played them.

Northwestern seems to just "less mistakes" other teams.

Iowa had to drives at the end to take a lead and fumbled on boths. Granted NW hit them, but still, that's uncanny bad luck on two drives in a row for Iowa.

We played Iowa okay and we can score.
NW offense isn't potent. Their defense appears solid, but Iowa's was supposed to be to, and we could score on them.

I expect a much better result than we got last year when we played them.

That has been Northwestern's MO for a long time. They are rarely flashy or exciting but they win a lot of games and typically don't beat themself with mistakes.

Saw this on Twitter. I’d be interested in seeing what our numbers are in home games only. It’s clear that Northwestern isn’t as good as their record indicates.

YPP differential/game

Michigan +2.59
Penn St +1.33
Wisconsin +1.25
Iowa +1.1
Ohio St +.98
Purdue +0.83
Maryland +0.7
Michigan St +.07
Nebraska +.05
Indiana -0.31
Minnesota -0.56
Northwestern -0.84
Illinois -0.85
Rutgers -1.99

It's obviously not real likely, but what if Northwestern loses its next two games, then gets beat in Indy. They'd be 6-7 going to a bowl.

Saw this on Twitter. I’d be interested in seeing what our numbers are in home games only. It’s clear that Northwestern isn’t as good as their record indicates.

YPP differential/game

Michigan +2.59
Penn St +1.33
Wisconsin +1.25
Iowa +1.1
Ohio St +.98
Purdue +0.83
Maryland +0.7
Michigan St +.07
Nebraska +.05
Indiana -0.31
Minnesota -0.56
Northwestern -0.84
Illinois -0.85
Rutgers -1.99

I hate saying a team is not as good as their record indicates. Northwestern is exactly as good as their record indicates. That is how competitive sports work, you get what you earn.

Clinched..... their butts watching footage of the Gopher's this week!!!!

It's obviously not real likely, but what if Northwestern loses its next two games, then gets beat in Indy. They'd be 6-7 going to a bowl.

According to the rules I've seen, 6 wins is not the only requirement for a bowl. A minimum .500 winning percentage also is. I'm not sure if there are any provisions for a conference title game putting a team under .500 but in theory the West champion could miss a bowl entirely if NW loses to both Minnesota and Illinois.

According to the rules I've seen, 6 wins is not the only requirement for a bowl. A minimum .500 winning percentage also is. I'm not sure if there are any provisions for a conference title game putting a team under .500 but in theory the West champion could miss a bowl entirely if NW loses to both Minnesota and Illinois.

I think UCLA got some kind of special waiver for this when they went into the Pac-10 (Pac-12, Pac-whatever) championship game at 6-6 a few years back.

I think UCLA got some kind of special waiver for this when they went into the Pac-10 (Pac-12, Pac-whatever) championship game at 6-6 a few years back.

2011. UCLA finished the regular season 6-6, got beat by Oregon in the title game, then lost to Illinois in the Fight Hunger Bowl to finish the season 6-8.

2011. UCLA finished the regular season 6-6, got beat by Oregon in the title game, then lost to Illinois in the Fight Hunger Bowl to finish the season 6-8.

The Fight Hunger Bowl has been a favorite of mine for some time.

I remember the 1978 Fight Hunger Bowl really well. I was young at the time, but it was a heckuva game.

Top Bottom