What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Purdue game?

What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Purdue game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
High B. I’m still confused about calling the timeout to then come out and kick the field goal. Take the 5 yard penalty, kick the chip shot, and save the timeout. Someone pointed out in the game thread if we had an extra timeout at the end of the first half we could have tried a long field goal.

The other scenario at the end of the first half when we called a timeout then the next play ran the ball. If we had no intent of trying to score then just run out the clock.

High B. I’m still confused about calling the timeout to then come out and kick the field goal. Take the 5 yard penalty, kick the chip shot, and save the timeout. Someone pointed out in the game thread if we had an extra timeout at the end of the first half we could have tried a long field goal.

The other scenario at the end of the first half when we called a timeout then the next play ran the ball. If we had no intent of trying to score then just run out the clock.

In my opinion, they never intended to run the 4th down play (first scenario). Intent was to draw the defense offside, but Tanner did not sell it well.

Silly to even have this poll. It's an A+ across the board. Far and away Brohm's worst loss in the Big Ten and Minnesota's largest margin of victory vs Purdue since 1936. Also, Brohm's 2nd worst loss as a head coach ever, and that includes losses to Alabama and LSU while at Western Kentucky. Hey, this is fun!

Last edited:

Can the two F's explain their thoughts? So far they have yet to do it all year.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Purdue game?Voters 110.
This poll will close on 11-17-2018 at 05:20 PM
A 9788.18%
#2Gopher, 1967 2.0, 2022Gopher, 25mkg, 7Gopher7, A_Slab_of_Bacon, bacon_and_kegs, BeenHazy, betterdeadthanred, BilldGopher, bleedsmaroonandgold, Bob_Loblaw, Bring back the Axe, BroncoRedux, BulldogGopher, ButchNashGuy, Buttcheeks McGaffigan, C'Mon Man, cm6581, cncmin, Cobra, Cruze, dalostpinoy, DarrenTheGreek, DEGopher, Doc Gopher, eker0016, everybody knows my name, Face The Facts, FlyinGopher, Frank Grimey Grimes, GlyndonGopher, Go Gophers Rah, go4rob, Gold Rush, GopherHusky, GophersInIowa, GopherWeatherGuy, gopher_alum_2005, Great Plains Gopher, GridironGus, GringaGopher, Halsey Hall, harrys ghost, highwayman, HoustonTXGopher, howeda7, Iceland12, iowa, Jaykay, Jeshurun, Joe Hardy, Johnny Olson, JZsportswhiz, Keyser Söze, kisarazu, MGGopher, Mick Turition, mkAz, MNVCGUY, MplsGopherFan, MrC, Nax5, Old Cardinal, oldauggie, Panthadad2, patrick08, Pompous Elitist, PoockItInfor6, pwmass, Rex, rockford, RolGnav, rugger14, salzie, scfan, SDR, sodakgopher, Some Day...Maybe, Some guy, SonoranGopher1, Sparlimb, stevedave23, Stuff, Taji34, Unregistered User, upnorthkid, vagopher, Vandy, Waffle, walkta, We're Comin', West Fargo Gopher Fan, WinLoseOrTy, WriterGoph, XMan, young935
B 109.09%
Buck_Buchanan, diehard, Flash30, GopherVotary, LongTimeGopher, magpie, Not the real Tim Brewster, SPEGOPHER, theTurning, Walter323
C 10.91%
Spoofin
D 00%
F 21.82%
LesBolstad, TheGophs

Can the two F's explain their thoughts? So far they have yet to do it all year.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Purdue game?Voters 110.
This poll will close on 11-17-2018 at 05:20 PM
A 9788.18%
#2Gopher, 1967 2.0, 2022Gopher, 25mkg, 7Gopher7, A_Slab_of_Bacon, bacon_and_kegs, BeenHazy, betterdeadthanred, BilldGopher, bleedsmaroonandgold, Bob_Loblaw, Bring back the Axe, BroncoRedux, BulldogGopher, ButchNashGuy, Buttcheeks McGaffigan, C'Mon Man, cm6581, cncmin, Cobra, Cruze, dalostpinoy, DarrenTheGreek, DEGopher, Doc Gopher, eker0016, everybody knows my name, Face The Facts, FlyinGopher, Frank Grimey Grimes, GlyndonGopher, Go Gophers Rah, go4rob, Gold Rush, GopherHusky, GophersInIowa, GopherWeatherGuy, gopher_alum_2005, Great Plains Gopher, GridironGus, GringaGopher, Halsey Hall, harrys ghost, highwayman, HoustonTXGopher, howeda7, Iceland12, iowa, Jaykay, Jeshurun, Joe Hardy, Johnny Olson, JZsportswhiz, Keyser Söze, kisarazu, MGGopher, Mick Turition, mkAz, MNVCGUY, MplsGopherFan, MrC, Nax5, Old Cardinal, oldauggie, Panthadad2, patrick08, Pompous Elitist, PoockItInfor6, pwmass, Rex, rockford, RolGnav, rugger14, salzie, scfan, SDR, sodakgopher, Some Day...Maybe, Some guy, SonoranGopher1, Sparlimb, stevedave23, Stuff, Taji34, Unregistered User, upnorthkid, vagopher, Vandy, Waffle, walkta, We're Comin', West Fargo Gopher Fan, WinLoseOrTy, WriterGoph, XMan, young935
B 109.09%
Buck_Buchanan, diehard, Flash30, GopherVotary, LongTimeGopher, magpie, Not the real Tim Brewster, SPEGOPHER, theTurning, Walter323
C 10.91%
Spoofin
D 00%
F 21.82%
LesBolstad, TheGophs

TheGophs fatfingered his vote with a frozen screen.
Explained in post #3.

It was unintentional.

LesBolstad has done the opposite all year.

LesBolstad is either Paul Chryst or Tracy Claeys’ sister. Not sure which.

Honestly thought I voted B. Considered A. Didn’t see a C performance yesterday. Back to discussing LesB now.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is always that way around here. The most vocal on here are the ones that don't like Fleck so they won't have anything to say after a game like that where the team played great. No worries though, they will be back in full force next week if we lose to Northwestern.

I will be interested to read some of the defensive breakdowns that are bound to pop up in the next few days to find out what reasons people see for why the defense made such a drastic improvement in such a short amount of time. and the big question is if it is sustainable moving forward.

This is comical. I've seen most of the "Anti-Fleck" crowd post that they were impressed by the win. When we were blown out by a terrible Illinois team, it was the quietest I'd seen.

Maybe one of the best coaching jobs I've witnessed after losing to an Illini team that defines mediocre. This team believes in Fleck and what he is representing to them as a path to success. Youth will be served.

That's an interesting take on this. I guess if Fleck is going to"take" all the credit when the team plays poorly, he should get all the credit when the team plays well. They played well. Still a lot of silly play calling and poor clock management. Yesterday it did not matter.

Agree, high B. Definitely outcouched his counterpart yesterday.

I have no problem calling either timeout.

Taking the 5 yards isn’t bad either, but in a bad weather game...points are at a premium. He may have made the longer field goal, but as it turns out...if you take away the garbage time touchdown..the three points would’ve been enough to get the game to overtime. Worth a timeout.

The other timeout, they call timeout. Run a run play hoping Purdue would drop way back expecting pass. If it goes for a first down, you spike it and try to score. If it doesn’t, you go into the half up 10.
Zero risk, small reward strategy. No idea how anyone could have a major issue with that.

In my opinion, they never intended to run the 4th down play (first scenario). Intent was to draw the defense offside, but Tanner did not sell it well.

I think they had a play they liked. Lined up to see if they got the look they want wanted. Didn’t like the defensive alignment and called timeout to kick.

I have no problem calling either timeout.

Taking the 5 yards isn’t bad either, but in a bad weather game...points are at a premium. He may have made the longer field goal, but as it turns out...if you take away the garbage time touchdown..the three points would’ve been enough to get the game to overtime. Worth a timeout.

The other timeout, they call timeout. Run a run play hoping Purdue would drop way back expecting pass. If it goes for a first down, you spike it and try to score. If it doesn’t, you go into the half up 10.
Zero risk, small reward strategy. No idea how anyone could have a major issue with that.

I see your point. I can’t remember exactly where the ball was but I think it was inside the 5 yard line. If we take a delay penalty, the field goal is still a chip shot from around the 10 yard line.

My comment on the first page was intended as a joke (and I hope it came across that way). Gave Fleck and staff a straight "A."

This is comical. I've seen most of the "Anti-Fleck" crowd post that they were impressed by the win. When we were blown out by a terrible Illinois team, it was the quietest I'd seen.

There are so few "anti-Fleck" people on this board.

There are people that point at the lunacy of the Cult of PJ but those people (for the most part) aren't anti-Fleck. If he gets ripped at all, it's collateral damage to mocking those posters.

There are so few "anti-Fleck" people on this board.

There are people that point at the lunacy of the Cult of PJ but those people (for the most part) aren't anti-Fleck. If he gets ripped at all, it's collateral damage to mocking those posters.

hence the quotes around "anti-fleck".

That's an interesting take on this. I guess if Fleck is going to"take" all the credit when the team plays poorly, he should get all the credit when the team plays well. They played well. Still a lot of silly play calling and poor clock management. Yesterday it did not matter.

Could you elaborate on the silly play calling? I thought the play calling was pretty good all around.

Could you elaborate on the silly play calling? I thought the play calling was pretty good all around.

Running a play at the end of the half vs taking a knee. No reason not to avoid an injury to the RB. Running Morgan late in the game. Things like that.

Running a play at the end of the half vs taking a knee. No reason not to avoid an injury to the RB. Running Morgan late in the game. Things like that.

I'm all for running a play at the end of the half. Maybe there is a defensive breakdown and we bust one, maybe the defense gets a facemask or late hit and we get 15 free plus an extra play.

Not sure I would classify that as "a lot of silly play calling" but that's me. Maybe a few questionable calls but overall it was a very well called game from both coordinators.

Not sure I would classify that as "a lot of silly play calling" but that's me. Maybe a few questionable calls but overall it was a very well called game from both coordinators.

I would say there were about a dozen such plays. I don’t disagree that overall it was a well called game, but the problems with time management, TO usage, leveraging coming out of time outs, etc continues.

Not as noticeable when you shut down the other teams offense, but they were still there, primarily on offense.

I'm all for running a play at the end of the half. Maybe there is a defensive breakdown and we bust one, maybe the defense gets a facemask or late hit and we get 15 free plus an extra play.

I am too. Handing off and running into the line, isn't much of a play, however.

Top Bottom