Adjustments - Rossi vs. Smith

Sorry but isn’t the Wisky game in Madison this year?

I think Spoofin is saying he is going to Madison and bought tickets from the disgruntled Badger fans who were expecting a CFP birth, or a Big Ten West title at least.

Brohm said himself he's not a big X's and O's guy.

I didn't actually read this anywhere, I'm just saying it hoping it sticks.

Your boyfriend P.J. did say this, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Your boyfriend P.J. did say this, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Can you cite when and where? If it was during a press conference we should be able to find it.

This is exactly what our "talent" and "experience" on defense is capable of, with current personnel. Yesterday we saw what happens when they are coached by someone who knows how to use them. Unfortunately, this season is a missed opportunity with a pretty weak schedule because of two awful decisions: hiring Robb Smith in the first place and waiting too long to fire him.

That said, Wisconsin is terrible, and if we play like we are capable of, we can win that game. If we get that one, I'll go into the offseason a pretty happy camper.

Can you cite when and where? If it was during a press conference we should be able to find it.

My mistake, it was actually Ciarrocca saying it about Fleck rather than Fleck saying it about himself:

"I guess the best way to describe it is Coach is the leader of the family, he sets the culture in the program but he leaves the X's and O's to coach Pinkham and I," Ciarrocca said. "He leaves the system, how we want to go about planning and stuff to Ed and I. He's a great resource, he's an unbelievable teacher, was a great position coach, so he's a great resource especially for me because his background is on the offensive side of the ball."

People are going to say negative things about your boyfriend from time to time. It's ok. He's a grown man making a life-transforming salary for coaching a game. He can defend himself. He doesn't need you and the other white knights to protect his honor.

Good investment.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Hopefully, you didn't get scammed with a too good to be true deal unless you bought them through legitimate channels. Don't trust the Fadgers.

fancies himself more of a motivator than an X's-and-O's savant

"How do I want to transform our kids on a daily basis? My job is way bigger than X's and O's. My job is the person. Not the player."

https://www.si.com/college-football...ichigans-pj-fleck-ushering-new-coaching-style
This doesn't sound like he avoids the X's-and-O's. It sounds like he understands that connecting with his players and helping them grow as people makes it easier for them to do the X's-and-O's with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This doesn't sound like he avoids the X's-and-O's. It sounds like he understands that connecting with his players and helping them grow as people makes it easier for them to do the X's-and-O's with them.

Ok

My mistake, it was actually Ciarrocca saying it about Fleck rather than Fleck saying it about himself:

"I guess the best way to describe it is Coach is the leader of the family, he sets the culture in the program but he leaves the X's and O's to coach Pinkham and I," Ciarrocca said. "He leaves the system, how we want to go about planning and stuff to Ed and I. He's a great resource, he's an unbelievable teacher, was a great position coach, so he's a great resource especially for me because his background is on the offensive side of the ball."

People are going to say negative things about your boyfriend from time to time. It's ok. He's a grown man making a life-transforming salary for coaching a game. He can defend himself. He doesn't need you and the other white knights to protect his honor.

Leaving the X's and O's to your coordinator is different than saying you don't know X's and O's.

Fleck deserves criticism in areas, but if people want to just generate stuff or take things out of context to make him something he isn't, I might ask for the context in which he supposedly said it.

Leaving the X's and O's to your coordinator is different than saying you don't know X's and O's.

Fleck deserves criticism in areas, but if people want to just generate stuff or take things out of context to make him something he isn't, I might ask for the context in which he supposedly said it.

No one said he doesn't know Xs and Os. You're lying. There are plenty of actual criticisms of your damsel in distress, you don't need to fabricate new ones as well.

I am too lazy to go back and look at what post started this debate, but there are a lot of good coaches that don't involve themselves heavily in X's and O's. I wouldn't take it as a slight if someone brought up the fact that PJ isn't involved in Xs and Os. There a many different ways to be a successful head coach.

I'd love to see Bama come up here in late November to play at The Bank.

I doubt they ever would. It's a lose-lose situation for them.

Face the Facts has that ability to take a win and almost ruin it.

He is not alone in that ability in here as there are plenty who only seem happy when they have something to complain about. I was naive in thinking the pissing matches about the coaching staff would go away for a few days after a blowout win like yesterday, at least we maybe got a few hours.

I'd love to see Bama come up here in late November to play at The Bank.
I can hear them, "Ooo, it's too cold up there Uncle Bluto." "I can't catch the ball in the cold, Uncke Bluto." [emoji14]

No guts, no skin in the game. I'd for them to come up here and huddle up like a bunch of turkeys on a cold winter day.

Maybe with B1G. However, if you look at SEC games November 17th:
Citadel @ AL
Liberty @ AUB
Idaho @ FL
Middle TN @ Kentucky
RICE @ LSU
UT-Chattanooga @ SC
UAB @ aTm

Would love to see SEC v B1G challenge in FB in November like we see the MBB with ACC / B1G challenge. That would be great for CFB. But, won’t happen and Alabama will continue its dominance and we will continue to always hear how great the SEC is. In reality, I think the B1G can hold its own against them when factoring other teams in. Just my 2 cents.

No one is ever, ever going to schedule a possible NC loss in November. Here's your 2 cents back.

Man your insecurity is showing, jealous much?

Going back to the original thread title :) I know it's more complicated than this, but the Gophers defense performed surprisingly well against 3 of the 4 top passing teams in the conference in Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana (the other top 4 passing Nebraska didn't need to pass against us much). Fresno State has one of the better passing attacks in the nation too. The Gophers defense struggled mightily against 3 of the 4 best running teams in the conference in Nebraska, Illinois and Maryland with the top rushing Wisconsin yet to play us. Northwestern is a heavy passing team...that game looms large for the Gophies.

Going back to the original thread title :) I know it's more complicated than this, but the Gophers defense performed surprisingly well against 3 of the 4 top passing teams in the conference in Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana (the other top 4 passing Nebraska didn't need to pass against us much). Fresno State has one of the better passing attacks in the nation too. The Gophers defense struggled mightily against 3 of the 4 best running teams in the conference in Nebraska, Illinois and Maryland with the top rushing Wisconsin yet to play us. Northwestern is a heavy passing team...that game looms large for the Gophies.

How dare you talk football here? Wouldn't you rather jump in, "casting his Persians about," as O. Henry so memorably put it? :D

JTG

Grimm and Thompson both commented that Williamson was on the field more than in the past. I couldn't see the game, but for those who were watching, were we playing a 4-2-5 more than in the past or was Williamson just subbing for one of the safeties?

Grimm and Thompson both commented that Williamson was on the field more than in the past. I couldn't see the game, but for those who were watching, were we playing a 4-2-5 more than in the past or was Williamson just subbing for one of the safeties?
I think it would be considered a nickel package

Kiondre Thomas and Williamson were both out there more than usual.

T-Smith was not out there.

I haven't read the any of this, but from what I saw there are 3 things in play.

1. He was more aggressive with blitzes and I'm guessing a better study of protections used in situations was better. This enabled him to be more effective with his blitzes.

2. A different play caller means different tendencies. When an Offense creates a game plan they do so from D. tendencies (film study) and match-ups. They then create the call sheets and have it broken down into 1st down plays, 2nd and long, 2nd and medium, 2nd and long, 3rd and long, 3rd and medium, etc. These plays can be called at anytime, but they create them this way to give them the best chance against D that tendencies show will likely be called in those situations. This, imo, was a big problem for Brohm.

3. The biggest difference I saw was the spilling of 2nd level blocks. Second level blocks are pulling lineman or H-backs/RBs blocking. We are undersized at the edge. We had been containing which turns them into a target. They have to take those blocks on with the inside arm and keep the outside arm free to be able to make a play if they don't contain it. When a DE is undersized, this really limits them as they are forced to be passive to play this technique to remain square to the l.o.s., giving up 40-80 lbs, and making them targets. When you spill 2nd level blocks, you take them on with the outside arm which puts your body in the hole they are trying to create which forces the ball to go lateral where LBs and DBs can chase it down. The biggest advantage is that an undersized DE is a tough dude, clearly. This allows them to be way more aggressive and give them a fighting chance when they give up 40-80 lbs b/c they get to attack the blocker rather than catch them.

Last edited:

I think it would be considered a nickel package

And that was probably due to Purdue's offense more than any overall change in thinking/scheme. Just seemed like I was hearing Williamson's name a lot.

Terell Smith had a great start to the season and he has big-time speed, but maybe freshman-itis caught up with him.

Top Bottom