STrib: Rashod Bateman finds his form after standing firm to Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

One by one, they traveled to southern Georgia last fall, Southeastern Conference football coaches hoping to lure Tift County High School’s wide receiver phenom.

And one by one, Rashod Bateman turned them away. He wasn’t being rude, mind you. He was just steadfast in the commitment that he had given Gophers coach P.J. Fleck.

“When Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt just got the job at Tennessee, they came down here in full force and offered Rashod,” said Ashley Anders, Tift County’s coach. “Basically, Rashod said, ‘Coach, I don’t even want to talk to them.’ I called him, and said, ‘Look, they’re here to see you.’ He said, ‘Nah, Coach. I need to stay in econ class.’ ”

Even Georgia coach Kirby Smart, who would lead the Bulldogs to the national championship game, got a bit of a stiff-arm from Bateman when he arrived in Tifton.

“He said, ‘Look, I’m not going to pressure the kid. I just want to talk to him and tell him the University of Georgia wants him,’ ” said Anders, who was an assistant coach with Smart at Valdosta State. “So, Rashod agreed to talk to him. I guess after the conversation, Coach Smart invited him on an official visit, and Rashod said, ‘Coach, I appreciate you coming, but I’m going to Minnesota.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/rashod-bateman-finds-his-form-after-standing-firm-to-gophers/500183642/

Go Gophers!!

True Gopher! He is going to do great things.

Thanks Rashod Bateman for knowing what you want at such a young age and not give in to pressure from these phony coaches.!!!:p

Likely gone before 4 years. Both a good thing and not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate Rashod Bateman's commitment to the Gophers. He looks like a great football player. But, imagine if he were a Minnesota kid who chose Georgia. The gopherhole would be filled with haters.
Sometimes a kid just has to leave home.
Mr Bateman, thanks for coming north. Hopefully you have a great time in the fine State of Minnesota.

If this doesn't sum up a Minnesotan, I don't know what does.

Definitely. Good that we have a great receiver but would love to have him here a full 4 years. Just a guess he leaves for the nfl early since he is pretty good already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom