All Things 2018-19 Other College Basketball Games Thread

For as much grief as pitino gets for the half court offense, Wisconsin is running the same thing right now. They’ll win though

I just looked it up. They did indeed have 4 bids in 2006: UNI, Bradley, Wichita State, and Southern Illinois. Bradley and Wichita State advanced to the Sweet 16. You may recall that Bradley was led by a center from Blaine HS in Minnesota (Patrick O'Bryant). He went early entry and was drafted 9th but he appeared in only 90 NBA games over 4 years.

That was about the high-water mark of the MVC. I remember O'Bryant well. Got drafted almost completely on the merit of that tournament run.

The major problem with a .500 conference record being the cutoff is the unequal scheduling in a major conference like the B1G. If we consider Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan and Maryland to be the B1G's 4 best teams, the Gophers played them a total of 7 times out of a possible 8 and were unfortunate enough to play all 4 teams on the road missing only Michigan State at home. Expand this list to Wisconsin which actually snuck in to 4th in the conference standings and Minnesota played the top 5 9 times out of a possible 10. In contrast they missed out on playing Northwestern and Ohio State at home as well as Penn State on the road. The Gophers finished 9-11 this year and I certainly don't feel good about that, but just one scheduling difference could easily have made that 10-10.

Just messing with you BB. Your input on this board is great and appreciated.
Badgers are easier to begrudgingly acknowledge (like?) now that they have a coach who is a decent person. Actually, same goes for their FB team.

The major problem with a .500 conference record being the cutoff is the unequal scheduling in a major conference like the B1G. If we consider Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan and Maryland to be the B1G's 4 best teams, the Gophers played them a total of 7 times out of a possible 8 and were unfortunate enough to play all 4 teams on the road missing only Michigan State at home. Expand this list to Wisconsin which actually snuck in to 4th in the conference standings and Minnesota played the top 5 9 times out of a possible 10. In contrast they missed out on playing Northwestern and Ohio State at home as well as Penn State on the road. The Gophers finished 9-11 this year and I certainly don't feel good about that, but just one scheduling difference could easily have made that 10-10.

Gophers needed one or both of those close games at Rutgers and Nebraska. Rutgers does not hit the corner 3 with the shot clock expiring to cut the lead to 1 and I think we win that game. Nebraska...had it won.

11-9 was easily attainable.

The major problem with a .500 conference record being the cutoff is the unequal scheduling in a major conference like the B1G. . .

I fully agree that there are unequal conference schedules, and that might not make a .500 conference record cutoff fair every year, but it will even out over the years. Your point is that some years a team may not have the opportunity to win as many games against the weaker teams in the conference. My point is that if a team can't beat the better teams in the conference AT LEAST HALF THE TIME, it does not deserve a trip to compete for the national championship. Look at it this way; if you have 20 conference games and do a decent job of defending your home court, say going 7-3 at home, you only need to win three conference road games to make the tournament.

Wofford looks terrible through 26 minutes against UNCG, They don't look like they have a clue how to run an offense.

Greensboro has projectile barfed this one away.

Wofford wins.

Bid stealers 0-1 tonight

Zags $hiting the bed so far.

St. Mary’s taking a page out of the Wisconsin playbook. And it’s working...so far

Was St. Mary's going to make it regardless?
Gonzaga should lose their 1 seed

I feel like we're safe regardless. For that reason.....GO ST. MARY'S! Booo traitor Crandall.

Gonzaga looked terrible. St. Mary's slowed them down and hit some really tough shots.

I highly advise Gophs to take care of business on Thursday. The bubble soon shrinketh even more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

St Mary’s winning not good news for the Gophers.

Gophers need to win Thursday and take any doubt out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I would say at this point it's worse for other teams like Ohio state and indiana.

It would take a lot more to leave us out. We should be fine even on this angle, but my only worry about bid thieves is going to Dayton. I’d be happy we’re in but would rather not go there.

We all agree it would be good for the Gophers to win, but if St. Mary's winning now means:

St. Johns
TCU
Ohio St
Clemson
Arizona St
North Carolina St
Texas
Utah St
Seton Hall
Temple
and
Florida

suddenly have better resumes than us, that was one impressive victory.

Top Bottom