All Things 2018-19 Other College Basketball Games Thread

Out of curiosity, what happened to the Thompson kid at Indiana? Did he get injured? Transfer?

Of the 5 charges, how many did you think were legit? The team leading at the end often shoots more FT's.

I only saw the last two. The first one was legit, but the last one to ice the game was a total BS call.

I only saw the last two. The first one was legit, but the last one to ice the game was a total BS call.
I thought he had good position on the last one, but you will only get that call about 50 percent of the time.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin got some major home cooking to pull out close victories in games they trailed in against Pittsburgh and NC State. Iowa shot 28 free throws to Pitts 13 in a one point game. Former Gopher target Trey McGowens had a shot to win it for Pitt at the buzzer but rushed a shot in the paint. Wisconsin shot 20 free throws to NC State's 8(!) in a 4 point game. For perspective, NC State was called for FIVE charges against the flopper in chief Brad Davison yet the stripes could only find 4 times to send the Wolfpack to the line... Probably a good thing for us long term that they both won, but watching both games made me sick.

Watched MSU-Lville last night - talk about biased ref's? Lville was jobbed time and again the last 5 minutes.

Of the 5 charges, how many did you think were legit? The team leading at the end often shoots more FT's.
He falls with the slightest bit of contact. He's a flopper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought he had good position on the last one, but you will only get that call about 50 percent of the time.

They showed it on SportsCenter this morning. Floppy McFlop has honed his acting skills well, surprisingly sold it despite still shuffling his feet. Should have been a blocking foul instead.

They showed it on SportsCenter this morning. Floppy McFlop has honed his acting skills well, surprisingly sold it despite still shuffling his feet. Should have been a blocking foul instead.

The animosity on this board towards Davison is freaking awesome.

Both Iowa and Wisconsin got some major home cooking to pull out close victories in games they trailed in against Pittsburgh and NC State. Iowa shot 28 free throws to Pitts 13 in a one point game. Former Gopher target Trey McGowens had a shot to win it for Pitt at the buzzer but rushed a shot in the paint. Wisconsin shot 20 free throws to NC State's 8(!) in a 4 point game. For perspective, NC State was called for FIVE charges against the flopper in chief Brad Davison yet the stripes could only find 4 times to send the Wolfpack to the line... Probably a good thing for us long term that they both won, but watching both games made me sick.

Davison positions himself well, but the flopping is insane. He acts like he has been shot out of cannon, and amazingly the refs fall for it over and over again. At least 2 of the calls should have been no calls either way. It reminds of when that Kramer hack played for Purdue.

The animosity on this board towards Davison is freaking awesome.
It's going to be awesome when the big ten season starts and he stops getting those calls....and instead leaves his guy unguarded because he is on the ground begging for a charge.

It's going to be awesome when the big ten season starts and he stops getting those calls....and instead leaves his guy unguarded because he is on the ground begging for a charge.

I don't know how likely that is. Terry Wymer called at least 3 of the charges (including the final one) - he's one of the more highly regarded refs in college basketball and has been selected to ref 4 final fours in the past.

He falls with the slightest bit of contact. He's a flopper.

At least 2 were poor calls. A really smart player will cause him trouble but never leaning into a space he anticipates and gets him off balance. Ty Jerome did this too him. By the way, the method for calling it has evolved to where you do not need to have your feet set as long as your first to that spot. Was a easier call when your feet had to be set and i hate the change. Still i do not hate the kid, he is a winner who fights for everything on the court. Annoys the fans and sometimes the other teams but if he is on yours you love him.

I don't know how likely that is. Terry Wymer called at least 3 of the charges (including the final one) - he's one of the more highly regarded refs in college basketball and has been selected to ref 4 final fours in the past.
He's a big ten ref, on the Badgers home court, playing against an ACC team in the challenge. Again....the Wolfpack took a whole eight free throws.

I don't think that's going to fly in the big ten. Especially on opposing courts.

At least 2 were poor calls. A really smart player will cause him trouble but never leaning into a space he anticipates and gets him off balance. Ty Jerome did this too him. By the way, the method for calling it has evolved to where you do not need to have your feet set as long as your first to that spot. Was a easier call when your feet had to be set and i hate the change. Still i do not hate the kid, he is a winner who fights for everything on the court. Annoys the fans and sometimes the other teams but if he is on yours you love him.

McFlop will be the beneficiary more often than not since falling down gives the appearance he was to a certain spot first. I’ve always thought it was fair that the defender needed to stop moving in order to get the charge, that way it’s assured he was there first. If they’re calling that differently then policement of these rules really has gone to ****.

He's a big ten ref, on the Badgers home court, playing against an ACC team in the challenge. Again....the Wolfpack took a whole eight free throws.

I don't think that's going to fly in the big ten. Especially on opposing courts.

I don’t understand why you’re citing the FT differential. The Wolfpack play a press and are all over the opponent, aggressively. They fouled the Badgers 10x coming up the court but also got a bunch of turnovers out of it for free layups or possessions. It was a fair or maybe even beneficial tradeoff for them...but NC State knows that it is generally going to foul the other team a lot coming into a game.

Meanwhile, Bucky plays position defense with very little contact/aggression unless Davison is flopping.

Davison is not unique. Players get those calls all the time in college basketball. He will get plenty of calls in the Big 10 and plenty will go against him as well. He needs to learn to pick his spots better which will come with more time. I think he would have looked good on the Gophers. If he did play for the Gophers, the tone on the board would be much different which is totally understandable. That is what makes it fun.

Davison is not unique. Players get those calls all the time in college basketball. He will get plenty of calls in the Big 10 and plenty will go against him as well. He needs to learn to pick his spots better which will come with more time. I think he would have looked good on the Gophers. If he did play for the Gophers, the tone on the board would be much different which is totally understandable. That is what makes it fun.

I watch Davison and some of the other floppers very closely and slow it down on the DRV to see what really happened, and in most of these cases the flopper does not even come close to beating anyone to "the spot" much less stop sliding.

The typical Davison type player guesses where the quicker player is going and jumps into the path, chest forward and then falls down. A charge should mean a player is waiting there and gets run over. In today's CBB, these defenders almost never beat anyone to the spot and are rarely standing there waiting to absorb contact. An arm is extended by the driing player in probably only about 10-15 percent of these cases.

Some of these plays are very dangerous when the "defender" undercuts a defenseless player who is already committed to being up by the rim, knocking them the floor. These dangerous plays should draw punishment, if player safety is such a big deal now. Also, no one ever bought a ticket to watch a bunch of white guys undercut, fall down, and flop.

CBB officials are the problem. They love calling the big, dramatic charge call for some reason in recent years. Years ago the defender never got these calls and most teams avoided these types of plays for the sake of not fouling out everyone. I blame Duke for all of this.

Last edited:

I watch Davison and some of the other floppers very closely and slow it down on the DRV to see what really happened, and in most of these cases the flopper does not even come close to beating anyone to "the spot" much less stop sliding.

The typical Davison type player guesses where the quicker player is going and jumps into the path, chest forward and then falls down. A charge should mean a player is waiting there and gets run over. In today's CBB, these defenders almost never beat anyone to the spot and are rarely standing there waiting to absorb contact. An arm is extended by the driing player in probably only about 10-15 percent of these cases.

Some of these plays are very dangerous when the "defender" undercuts a defenseless player who is already committed to being up by the rim, knocking them the floor. These dangerous plays should draw punishment, if player safety is such a big deal now. Also, no one ever bought a ticket to watch a bunch of white guys undercut, fall down, and flop.

CBB officials are the problem. They love calling the big, dramatic charge call for some reason in recent years. Years ago the defender never got these calls and most teams avoided these types of plays for the sake of not fouling out everyone. I blame Duke for all of this.

Agree with so much of what you wrote. The way it is called is atrocious. Really smart players with great handles use it against Davison. UVA abused him. Pass the ball, get past him, screen and use of the crossover cause him problems but his effort level through the court and his ability to sell is really high. I for one hate the jumping in front of someone and coming no where near the spot and still get a charge. This would have been called two charges and 3 blocks if it was a road game.

wisconsin up 2 with 1:11 to go at Iowa. Would be a big opening road win for them, I hope they blow it.

Go Gophers!!

Creighton up 9 points at home to #1 Gonzaga late in half 1.

We beat Creighton in a scrimmage right? [emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

Creighton up 9 points at home to #1 Gonzaga late in half 1.

We beat Creighton in a scrimmage right? [emoji6]

By the transitive properties...

Indiana 68-66 over Northwestern at assembly hall today.

is this the deepest the big ten has ever been as a conference in basketball

Boston College gave up a huge 3 with under 3 seconds left against providence. Headed to OT

Number 62 Boston College lost to number 72 Providence.

Indiana 68-66 over Northwestern at assembly hall today.

Correction: Over Penn State.

Michigan playing very well against Northwestern. But, the Wildcats are trying to hang in there. Wolverines up 36-30 at the half.

is this the deepest the big ten has ever been as a conference in basketball
It begs the question as to whether our Gophers can keep out of the bottom 4...just because it's so good.

It begs the question as to whether our Gophers can keep out of the bottom 4...just because it's so good.

That would mean like a 10th or 11th place finish. Not acceptable. Right now there is one super team, Michigan. After that 3-4 really good teams and it is this coaching staffs job to be right there. Other conferences have been more loaded than this and you build to beat them, that is the job. I see no reason for this team to not be in the top group.

Top Bottom