All Things 2018-19 Other College Basketball Games Thread

Iowa getting whooped by Rutgers at home.

Iowa doing their typical February/March collapse. The only thing the have on the Gophers is they start from a higher point and still eek their way into the tournament.

Would you be happy with a Fran level performance here (sub .500 - highest finish 3rd place)? I think Pitino has more potential than him.

I would not be happy with that but Pitino has come nowhere near that conference mark and i do not like the word potential. To each his own. I just do not see winning a Big 10 title with Pitino and hope like hell i am wrong.

Would you be happy with a Fran level performance here (sub .500 - highest finish 3rd place)? I think Pitino has more potential than him.

How many more disappointing seasons till Pitino reaches that potential?

How many more disappointing seasons till Pitino reaches that potential?

Patience. You don't hire a young coach and expect no learning curve. Richard made a few mistakes that took an instant to commit and years to unwind. But he's by that. Sit your a$$ tight. This guy's a winner.

Next year we'll have TWO shooters. A point guard that he trusts. Oturu (future NBA product). Needs a PF. Will get that done. This is not an accident, he has clarity with regard to needs/weaknesses/developmental points and he's moving the Gophs in the right direction. Don't derail what will be a multi-decade success story.

Patience. You don't hire a young coach and expect no learning curve. Richard made a few mistakes that took an instant to commit and years to unwind. But he's by that. Sit your a$$ tight. This guy's a winner.

Next year we'll have TWO shooters. A point guard that he trusts. Oturu (future NBA product). Needs a PF. Will get that done. This is not an accident, he has clarity with regard to needs/weaknesses/developmental points and he's moving the Gophs in the right direction. Don't derail what will be a multi-decade success story.

How long ? What if 5 more years results in 5 more years of sub .500 records, no big 10 titles, what will you say then. Study what coaches have done in their first 6 years and show me any examples of guys that won 33% of their conference games and then built a multi decade success story ! Of course you may have a way different definition for success.

After six seasons what you see is what you get, you are seeing his potential right now, if you are happy with that so be it, I'm not and don't expect it to improve any.

How long ? What if 5 more years results in 5 more years of sub .500 records, no big 10 titles, what will you say then. Study what coaches have done in their first 6 years and show me any examples of guys that won 33% of their conference games and then built a multi decade success story ! Of course you may have a way different definition for success.

Ok... before I disagree with you I feel compelled to state that I hold your views in generally high regard and think you're spot-on with regard to many matters. Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Basically, Richard initially took steps that would have worked at Louisville or Florida but not here, not yet. I think it took him aback to digest the reality that coaching at a major program does not mean that you can recruit and philosophically organize in the way you can at a long-established winner. So then he "reached." He took BK and GD... and he took some recruits that we're reaches from a behavioral vantage.

Here's the thing. In the wake of his reaches, one cannot say "why hasn't he fixed it" one year later. The unfortunate simple answer is that there is no honorable fix. You wait four years, period. So to keep bringing up years is meaningless. He can't warp time. The mistakes are in the past, and we have a coach that is not repeating them and is carefully constructing a team that can win. Don't mess with this.

And for the record, you and I have the same definition of success and likely most other terms too. I read your views closely. We think alike on most matters.

Ok... before I disagree with you I feel compelled to state that I hold your views in generally high regard and think you're spot-on with regard to many matters. Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Basically, Richard initially took steps that would have worked at Louisville or Florida but not here, not yet. I think it took him aback to digest the reality that coaching at a major program does not mean that you can recruit and philosophically organize in the way you can at a long-established winner. So then he "reached." He took BK and GD... and he took some recruits that we're reaches from a behavioral vantage.

Here's the thing. In the wake of his reaches, one cannot say "why hasn't he fixed it" one year later. The unfortunate simple answer is that there is no honorable fix. You wait four years, period. So to keep bringing up years is meaningless. He can't warp time. The mistakes are in the past, and we have a coach that is not repeating them and is carefully constructing a team that can win. Don't mess with this.

And for the record, you and I have the same definition of success and likely most other terms too. I read your views closely. We think alike on most matters.

He knew he had no point guard he could trust coming into this year

He brought in still and a guy who was at least a 50% shot to sit out rather than a PG who could play.

To say roster mismanagement is a thing of the past is intellectually dishonest.

He has made roster mistakes THIS YEAR

I do not see the coaching ability to instill defense, precision offense limit turnovers to provide the continuity that you have to have to become a top 3 conference contender year after year. Your stating that it is a given that he gets it done but are you saying we have to see 4 more years. What will you say if he is under .500 next year again ? Big donors are already staying away from games and not impressed at all. Coyle hears them and knows this is really bad for business. It is how we play in year 6 that is disturbing, no one knows who we are. These are bright basketball people who believe in establishing a identity and we still do not have that. It is a bottom line business and your record defines your success. Off the court i am pleased that we have made it 14 months without another problem and by the way that mistake was repeated because Lynch could have been avoided . On the court i still see poor screens, poor cuts, half ass defensive performances that i have seen for 6 years. I am not saying it is easy because it is incredibly competitive but there is not any indication that he is or is going to be special.

Take it to another thread guys.

Stupid. Michigan over Maryland putting Wisconsin in the drivers seat for the last double bye. Ugh.

I hate the Maryland fans, especially their student section. Good to see Bradzekias blowing kisses to the crowd. It looks like an Italian f-you!
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/26130057 via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

More on the Maryland fans:

SILENCING THE CROWD

Maryland fans chanted ''You are ugly!'' during Brazdeikis' first trip to the foul line. After he made both shots, the public address announcer told the crowd that Turgeon requested that the chant not be repeated.

''I love crowds like that. It motivates me,'' Brazdeikis said. ''It makes me more hungry. I embrace that, every second of it. As much as they think they're getting in my head, that's actually fuel for me.''

On Brazdeikis' next trip to the line, the students merely booed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20190303_MICH@MD/

Last edited:

More on the Maryland fans:

SILENCING THE CROWD

Maryland fans chanted ''You are ugly!'' during Brazdeikis' first trip to the foul line. After he made both shots, the public address announcer told the crowd that Turgeon requested that the chant not be repeated.

''I love crowds like that. It motivates me,'' Brazdeikis said. ''It makes me more hungry. I embrace that, every second of it. As much as they think they're getting in my head, that's actually fuel for me.''

On Brazdeikis' next trip to the line, the students merely booed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20190303_MICH@MD/
I was just going to post this. Maryland has sh!tty fans.

That's horrible...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was watching The Journey last night and heard Brad Underwood talk about how he's establishing a culture there. Either John Groce or Jerry Kill needs to speak up, take umbrage, talk about how he's changed, and casually mention an ex-girlfriend or something in passing.

Gotta admit - I'm kinda man-crushing on Underwood.

Was watching The Journey last night and heard Brad Underwood talk about how he's establishing a culture there. Either John Groce or Jerry Kill needs to speak up, take umbrage, talk about how he's changed, and casually mention an ex-girlfriend or something in passing.

Gotta admit - I'm kinda man-crushing on Underwood.

Smart guy. Got out of Ok State after one year before the Feds came calling. Interesting to see if the NCAA chases him for the payola scandal. He might not get out of it since he doesn't have a blue blood pedigree.

Underwood did well for himself after playing Freddy Rumsen on Mad Men.
Joelmurrayfreddyrumsen.jpg

UVA shot 18 of 25 from 3 pt line last night. It was awesome to watch!!

UVA shot 18 of 25 from 3 pt line last night. It was awesome to watch!!

That would be a dream to watch a Gopher team do one day. Time to stop recruiting at the bricklayer’s convention and start visiting the sharpshooters guild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the worst things students do is chant "you are ugly" at a player...they are a nice student section. Heard a lot worse coming from Gopher student sections.

Marquette drops its third straight game. This one against Seton Hall after holding a 15 point second half lead. Previous two losses were against Creighton and Villanova.

Florida down by 1 in OT fails to get a shot off as time expires! Yuck.

Top Bottom