All Things 2018-19 Other College Basketball Games Thread

South Dakota state could be going down.

And it's over. Sucks that Daum will miss the NCAA tournament his Sr year.

You’d have to think Nebraska Omaha is the favorites now.

Potential bubble teams Minnesota and Arizona State have wins over Omaha

Watching Murray state vs Belmont.
Neither of these teams would finish higher than 13-14 in the big ten.
Absolutely no defensive intensity in this game.

Most impressive non-conference win by the top 3 of the conference is either furman or @ucla.

Belmont would get some play as a potential at large if they lose, but I don’t think they’d deserve it based on resume or what they look like when playing

Last edited:

Belmont looks to be going down.
As does furman.

I’d argue neither will make the dance

Daum is so good. Was hoping he’d be in the tournament.

Belmont looks to be going down.
As does furman.

I’d argue neither will make the dance

Furman was up comfortably most of the 2nd half (and are going to win).

Belmont is probably 50/50 to get an at large.

Last edited:

Furman was up comfortably most of the 2nd half (and are going to win).

Belmont is probably 50/50 to get an at large.

I think the espn ticket was wrong on furman or I read it wrong.

Belmont is less than 50/50 for an at large. They were a 12 seed going into the game. Basically need nobody to jump them because they aren’t able to jump anyone at this point.

Belmont NET is now 41.
RPI 40 (which for a small conference is outside what usually got picked).

Best NET wins:
44, 44, 52, 117, 121,
134, 163, 201, 244, 262

Average NET win is 233, which is really remarkable in itself that you can have 25 wins, yet your average win is 233.
That's remarkable.

It's a really difficult resume to argue in favor of.

Super bummed about my Jacks. Losing is one thing...but losing to a team that you beat twice by a combined 60 points is hard to swallow.

Super bummed about my Jacks. Losing is one thing...but losing to a team that you beat twice by a combined 60 points is hard to swallow.

I've long thought that if someone other than the regular season champion wins the smaller leagues, there should be a final between the regular season and tournament champion for the bid. I know it would be complicated to schedule and won't happen. But this way just makes the regular season so meaningless.

Belmont NET is now 41.
RPI 40 (which for a small conference is outside what usually got picked).

Best NET wins:
44, 44, 52, 117, 121,
134, 163, 201, 244, 262

Average NET win is 233, which is really remarkable in itself that you can have 25 wins, yet your average win is 233.
That's remarkable.

It's a really difficult resume to argue in favor of.

Agree. If picking the field is part science and part art it will always be hard for those last 10 spots. They have never had the best 68 teams but the whole idea of a one and done tourney to decide a champion is funny in itself. I love the excitement of the tourney but for the general population it has diminished the regular season. You can argue so many parameters . Should under .500 conference teams be in at all ? Of course, some of them are clearly top 68. What to do with mid majors that are incredibly well coached teams that play really well, win a ton but do not have a auto bid. Belmont and Davidson are like that and are a great under dog upset prospect but day in and day out most likely struggle in a major conference schedule. One thing is true, all fans want to see their team in the tourney and will look at any metric that favors theirs. I remember a time when you had to win your conference to get it in and then it was all quality. I do think that Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Indiana are all better than Belmont. The question for some is are they more deserving. It has all become a tourney with a series of 2 four team tourneys that only 4 advance. ONLY 4 TEAMS WIN 4 in a row !

And it's over. Sucks that Daum will miss the NCAA tournament his Sr year.

Really stinks when you beat someone by 42 and then beat them again by 20 but lose to them in your conference tourney and go home. Western Illinois was 9-22 and ranked 296 !

These two games going on right now are confusing. I'm not sure who I want to win and which is better for the Gophers. I do not want to play Illinois in what will essentially be a home game for them, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

If the teams leading now win, the only way we play Illinois is if both teams make it to Saturday.

If Penn State and Indiana hold on, Penn State is the 10 seed and Indiana is the 9 seed. If OSU wins, we play Indiana and if not, we play Penn State.

I don't understand the NET rankings well enough but from what I've heard, playing Penn State is a no lose situation. Indiana would have won 4 straight including vs. Michigan State and Wisconsin and a loss could hurt us so I'd rather play Penn State.

Illinois is the main team I want to avoid and they're down 12 with 10 minutes left.

I do not want to play Illinois in what will essentially be a home game for them, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

I would say that Penn State is a tougher matchup than Illinois right now. If they win today, they will have won 7 of their last 10. The key is that their young guards have improved and Watkins looks in better condition than when we played them.

If the teams leading now win, the only way we play Illinois is if both teams make it to Saturday.

If Penn State and Indiana hold on, Penn State is the 10 seed and Indiana is the 9 seed. If OSU wins, we play Indiana and if not, we play Penn State.

I don't understand the NET rankings well enough but from what I've heard, playing Penn State is a no lose situation. Indiana would have won 4 straight including vs. Michigan State and Wisconsin and a loss could hurt us so I'd rather play Penn State.

Illinois is the main team I want to avoid and they're down 12 with 10 minutes left.

Good summary. Thanks. I'd agree that playing Penn State from a metrics standpoint could be favorable. It will be interesting to see who is favored in that one.

. . . I love the excitement of the tourney but for the general population it has diminished the regular season. You can argue so many parameters . Should under .500 conference teams be in at all ? Of course, some of them are clearly top 68. What to do with mid majors that are incredibly well coached teams that play really well, win a ton but do not have a auto bid. Belmont and Davidson are like that and are a great under dog upset prospect but day in and day out most likely struggle in a major conference schedule. One thing is true, all fans want to see their team in the tourney and will look at any metric that favors theirs. I remember a time when you had to win your conference to get it in and then it was all quality. I do think that Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Indiana are all better than Belmont. The question for some is are they more deserving. . . .

Count me as one who thinks that a .500 conference record should be a cut-off for an NCAA tourney bid. Sure, the power conference teams slightly under .500 are probably better than some of the teams from (previously) one-bid conferences that might now get in. But, really, the sub-.500 conference teams had all year to prove their worth, and if they are making a late-season run with a young team, or an impact player coming back from injury, they have a conference tourney to improve their record against top opponents by several games. I think the Big Dance would be much more interesting with fewer 8-9 and 7-10 games between middle-of-the road power conference teams that we have seen on television all year, and replacing some of those teams with exciting mid- or low-major teams that have great records, but we have never seen them. The power conference teams can fatten up their overall record playing bunnies at home during pre-season, while the other conference teams have to play on the road, if they even get the chance to schedule a top power team.

Count me as one who thinks that a .500 conference record should be a cut-off for an NCAA tourney bid. Sure, the power conference teams slightly under .500 are probably better than some of the teams from (previously) one-bid conferences that might now get in. But, really, the sub-.500 conference teams had all year to prove their worth, and if they are making a late-season run with a young team, or an impact player coming back from injury, they have a conference tourney to improve their record against top opponents by several games. I think the Big Dance would be much more interesting with fewer 8-9 and 7-10 games between middle-of-the road power conference teams that we have seen on television all year, and replacing some of those teams with exciting mid- or low-major teams that have great records, but we have never seen them. The power conference teams can fatten up their overall record playing bunnies at home during pre-season, while the other conference teams have to play on the road, if they even get the chance to schedule a top power team.

I think being slightly under .500 in a good conference proves your worth. Being the second best team in a bad conference means you had a chance to prove your worth and failed. Playing many challenging games and winning a few is more impressive than playing a few challenging games and winning none.

Watching this Houston club makes me envious of their toughness, defensive mindset and overall team shooting ability. A club built for a deep run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Absolutely. It proves you win fewer than half your games against tough competition.

Isn't that better than a team like Wofford who lost all of their games against tough competition? You're not going to play bad teams in the tournament so how consistently you can beat them shouldn't matter too much.

Indiana has won 4 of their 10 games against top-25 teams. Wofford has won 0 of 3. One has shown they can win against good teams. The other hasn't.

I agree 100%. Mid-majors will always be disadvantaged by quantitative rankings because they just don't get enough games against high level teams to demonstrate their worth but, given the upsets that occur every year in the NCAA tournament, a fair number of these teams can beat higher rated teams and they manage to do that normally having to play fairly high seeds. You don't see many 9th seeded mid-majors playing 8th seeded power conference teams.

I'm not arguing to ignore quantitative rankings. There is no reason to give an at-large berth to a mid-major with a 24-9 record but a ranking hovering around 100. On the other hand, I don't see the point of giving a power conference team with a 19-14 overall record, a sub-.500 conference record, and a ranking of #55 an at-large berth over a mid-major with a 27-7 record and a ranking of #65. There really isn't much of a qualitative (or quantitative) difference between those two rankings; certainly not enough to justify taking the team with the much poorer record.

If the purpose of NCAA tournament were to pick the "best" 68 teams (something we can never really know for sure anyway), the tournament wouldn't have automatic berths resulting in so-so teams from really low rated conferences getting in just for winning a conference tournament. Undoubtedly some of this is due to the politics of the situation. Coaches of power conference teams need to make the NCAA tournament a certain number of times to keep their jobs whereas most mid-major coaches can keep their jobs for an extended period of time without making the tournament or rarely making it.

The MVC is really making a statement that it is a one-bid conference. You have 16-17 Northern Iowa playing 19-14 Bradley in the championship and UNI has an 8 point lead right now. Amazingly the game is on CBS. This was once a pretty good league (produced Larry Bird, Maurice Cheeks, Kyle Korver, Hersey Hawkins, Xavier McDaniel, Paul Pressey, and Louis Lloyd) but that seems like ancient history.

The MVC is really making a statement that it is a one-bid conference. You have 16-17 Northern Iowa playing 19-14 Bradley in the championship and UNI has an 8 point lead right now. Amazingly the game is on CBS. This was once a pretty good league (produced Larry Bird, Maurice Cheeks, Kyle Korver, Hersey Hawkins, Xavier McDaniel, Paul Pressey, and Louis Lloyd) but that seems like ancient history.

Didn't they have 4 bids a few years back? I do think they ave been hurt by conference turnover and haven't seen the benefit yet of Valpo moving over.

Didn't they have 4 bids a few years back? I do think they ave been hurt by conference turnover and haven't seen the benefit yet of Valpo moving over.

I just looked it up. They did indeed have 4 bids in 2006: UNI, Bradley, Wichita State, and Southern Illinois. Bradley and Wichita State advanced to the Sweet 16. You may recall that Bradley was led by a center from Blaine HS in Minnesota (Patrick O'Bryant). He went early entry and was drafted 9th but he appeared in only 90 NBA games over 4 years.

Wow. NE down by 16 comes back to beat IA in OT

Top Bottom