Will Oturu cut into Murphy's double doubles?

Moonlight

Reaction score
Oturu came very close to a double double Tuesday night - 2 rebounds short - while Murphy breezed to his. At one point we had a turnover while they both lept high, vying for a defensive rebound and knocked it out of bounds.
I'm really enjoying fretting over this...

Reggie was averaging around 10 and 8 the same time Murphy was averaging 20 and 13 and on his streak.

Oturu looks like he can average right around there or maybe a little less than what Lynch did. So no, I don't think he'll cut into Oturu's streak.

Oturu came very close to a double double Tuesday night - 2 rebounds short - while Murphy breezed to his. At one point we had a turnover while they both lept high, vying for a defensive rebound and knocked it out of bounds.
I'm really enjoying fretting over this...

If Daniel can be consistent enough to rack up a lot of double doubles, we are all going to enjoy this season. Hard for me to see a freshman playing with that kind of consistency, though, no matter how good he is.

The two compliment each other and each benefits from the other being on the court. Murphy’s double doubles ended last year when other teams didn’t have to worry about other gopher post players.

While at the game, I wondered the same thing. But die hard makes a good point. And let’s see a few more games. Good problem to have.

I hope he does. We will be so much better if he does.

While at the game, I wondered the same thing. But die hard makes a good point. And let’s see a few more games. Good problem to have.
Yes, a fun speculation.
I was enjoying having two players on the double double watch.
I think Oturu is much better than Lynch, though I might be including potential. I'm seeing someone building a complete game, which I didnt see from Lynch.

The two compliment each other and each benefits from the other being on the court. Murphy’s double doubles ended last year when other teams didn’t have to worry about other gopher post players.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure I wasn't alone when I cringed at the site of Oturu limping off the court late. We are especially vulnerable to this given that Curry is also unavailable. No offense to Mats (I was actually pleasantly surprised by his play), but he doesn't require the attention that the other posts do.

Better play will only help open up opportunities for each other. The real question will hopefully become how do we find enough minutes for Murph, Oturu, AND Curry because they're dominating too much? One can dream, right?

One bright spot I saw a Matz was how quickly he made the outlet pass after he made a defensive rebound.

Might be one of the strangest/dumbest threads I've seen on this board. A) A freshman will not cut into Murphy's playing time enough for that to be possible; B) Murphy was at his best last year when Lynch was on the floor to help protect the basket, and Murphy is still the primary option inside on offense; C) Murphy will only come out if he's got foul trouble, is hurt or needs a quick breather.

Might be one of the strangest/dumbest threads I've seen on this board. A) A freshman will not cut into Murphy's playing time enough for that to be possible; B) Murphy was at his best last year when Lynch was on the floor to help protect the basket, and Murphy is still the primary option inside on offense; C) Murphy will only come out if he's got foul trouble, is hurt or needs a quick breather.

I don't think its dumb at all. Lets see how the stats play out!

To be fair, I thought it was dumb at first, but then it was kind of funny once I started to think about it. Try to have some fun every now and then. It might make Minnesota sports less depressing.

I agree. They also complement each other.

Double doubles are pretty overrated.

16 and 10 isn’t any better than 16 and 9 of the 10th went to a different player on the same team.

To be fair, I thought it was dumb at first, but then it was kind of funny once I started to think about it. Try to have some fun every now and then. It might make Minnesota sports less depressing.
Thanks - which is the reason I posted it. And people made some good observations

I'd rather contemplate this, than think about what might have been if we'd gotten different recruits...!

It’s not like they stand in the same spot on rebounds (hopefully) and if one gets it the other doesn’t. Those rebounds are more likely taken from the other team which speeds up the game to our advantage creating more possessions, rebounding opportunities and points. On the other hand, if we are an improved outside shooting team and our guards are better finishing at the basket then there are less rebounding-post scoring opportunities.

Hope they both consistently have double doubles.

If Oturu is the reason Murphy has less double doubles that would be a great sign for us. I think it very well could be cause Oturu is really good

Top Bottom