2019 Big Ten Recruiting rankings

So, about as good as Kill did, not as good as Brewster. Get us in the top 5 and I will start giving him credit. Until he does that, I will feel he is an average recruiter.Everyone says this guy is some super recruiter. But as rankings go, Tim Brewster was far superior. - so far

So, about as good as Kill did, not as good as Brewster. Get us in the top 5 and I will start giving him credit. Until he does that, I will feel he is an average recruiter.Everyone says this guy is some super recruiter. But as rankings go, Tim Brewster was far superior. - so far

Everyone, ok mainly himself, also say he is supposed to be a super motivator but we are 9-21 Overall and 3-15 in Conference under PJ

Seems Minnesota's rival Wisconsin is recruiting very well.Do they have recruiting advantages, Minnesota does not?

and Tradition as well? one of 26 programs with 700 or more wins and only one of 3 big ten programs to win 13 games in a season?

Everyone, ok mainly himself, also say he is supposed to be a super motivator but we are 9-21 Overall and 3-15 in Conference under PJ

What?

Brewster is 9-21?

In terms of hardest places to recruit in the big ten where's Minnesota rank?

By February, when the recruiting is concluded, the Gophers will be 11 at best after Iowa, NW, and Indiana get their 23,24,25 guys like we already have.

In terms of hardest places to recruit in the big ten where's Minnesota rank?

It all depends who is making the list. Ohio State and Michigan are going to top most anyones list. But, with all of our selling points why can't Minnesota rank third. We are in the Big Ten. We have the best metropolitan area with pro sports teams, culture, diversity, Fortune 500 companies for career opportunities after graduation. Nobody can compare to that...we sit dead center in the middle of it. NW is miles away from similar weaker claims because of distance and disconnect. We have a great campus. We have excellent facilities. We have excellent education opportunities...Carlson school. We have football tradition and the selling point of helping make the Gophers great again. Lots of reasons we could be 3,4 or 5 imo.

So, I was going top down...to your question 3rd from the bottom.

I try not to get too worked up about recruiting rankings. It is noteworthy that we aren't that high, our average rating is even lower, and we've got goose eggs in the four and five star column.

That said, I'm not going to be too worked up over the rankings. I'm going to extend Fleckthe same courtesy I did Claeys, Kill, Brewster, and Mason, which is to evaluate him on overall record and record improvement.

Fleck continues to vastly oversell himself in the recruiting department- based on rankings he has cited so much. Kill developed talent and went 8-5 by his third year. If PJ doesn't show player development that brings about wins it will be time to shake the etch a sketch once again and start over. PJ will be off to the NFL as a receiver coach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It all depends who is making the list. Ohio State and Michigan are going to top most anyones list. But, with all of our selling points why can't Minnesota rank third. We are in the Big Ten. We have the best metropolitan area with pro sports teams, culture, diversity, Fortune 500 companies for career opportunities after graduation. Nobody can compare to that...we sit dead center in the middle of it. NW is miles away from similar weaker claims because of distance and disconnect. We have a great campus. We have excellent facilities. We have excellent education opportunities...Carlson school. We have football tradition and the selling point of helping make the Gophers great again. Lots of reasons we could be 3,4 or 5 imo.

Easiest to recruit in the Big Ten:
1. Ohio State - NFL talent, most recent big ten national championship
2. Michigan - National brand, a ton of money, Jordan, really good school, NFL talent
3. Penn State - same as Michigan
4. Nebraska - semi-recent dominance and has put some good players in the league
5. Wisconsin - a string of recent success and name brand NFL talent

The fact of the matter is to be successful recruiting in cfb you need to pluck kids from states like Florida, Texas, California, and Georgia. It's hard to convince blue chip kids from these states to come a school that like Minnesota that is 1) cold 2) doesn't win a lot of games or put a lot of players in the NFL. There's exceptions: guys like Bateman, but for the most part this is true. You mention tradition, but a lot of kids really don't care about a school that hasn't been relevant since the 1960s. I hear the "we have the best city" argument a lot. Sure Minneapolis has some decent opportunities, but any blue chip player that cares about life after football will go to Stanford or Notre Dame - or in the Big Ten's case: Michigan or Northwestern.

Last edited:

I know we want it to, but rankings in November really mean zero. Maybe negative 6. They mean as much as last December’s Rankings when some windbag claimed “the best class in MN history”. Heck, some still think that so maybe spewing nonsense is valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well on paper anyway. His classes never really materialized and the highest ranked players he brought in didn’t pan out.

last year we had one of the best, if not the best, recruiting class in program history. this class seems equally strong, it will take time for these guys to get into program but the talent is coming.

last year we had one of the best, if not the best, recruiting class in program history. this class seems equally strong, it will take time for these guys to get into program but the talent is coming.

Thank you.

This thread is a pile of garbage.

Bottom line is recruiting arguments don't make a difference unless Mark Coyle decides they will. My guess is he takes PJ's word for it.

PJ can go 2-10 next year and still keep his job.

Enjoy this season, and next, and the next one.

Well on paper anyway. His classes never really materialized and the highest ranked players he brought in didn’t pan out.

Two highly regarded DBs from Fleck's first class are gone. His prized QB recruit from last year lasted three months and another JUCO OT who could be helping this weekend is taking an "academic redshirt." Not all of Fleck's recruits are panning out, either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This has been discussed on here quite a bit and while you bring up a lot of good pros and I’m sure Fleck are selling those, winning more and having a good crowd at games matters a lot I think.

The folks that are going negative here have to look at the influx of talent on Oline and WR. Next year i think we will see that at D Line and in the secondary. IF this defense gets straightened out, this will be fun.

I'd like to think the recruiting classes before and during the 34, 35, 36 seasons as well as before the 40, 41 and even 60 seasons would have had better classes than that, since you know we won national titles those years.
The class PJ recruited last year was good, but to say it is the best ever in program history is just not true, unless they win a national title before they all graduate.

I'd like to think the recruiting classes before and during the 34, 35, 36 seasons as well as before the 40, 41 and even 60 seasons would have had better classes than that, since you know we won national titles those years.
The class PJ recruited last year was good, but to say it is the best ever in program history is just not true, unless they win a national title before they all graduate.

Those teams were all average talent that just got coached up a bunch.

Easiest to recruit in the Big Ten:

The fact of the matter is to be successful recruiting in cfb you need to pluck kids from states like Florida, Texas, California, and Georgia. It's hard to convince blue chip kids from these states to come a school that like Minnesota that is 1) cold 2) doesn't win a lot of games or put a lot of players in the NFL. There's exceptions: guys like Bateman, but for the most part this is true. You mention tradition, but a lot of kids really don't care about a school that hasn't been relevant since the 1960s. I hear the "we have the best city" argument a lot. Sure Minneapolis has some decent opportunities, but any blue chip player that cares about life after football will go to Stanford or Notre Dame - or in the Big Ten's case: Michigan or Northwestern.

Very well said. I think you hit most of the important points. You could add some other very well regarded schools to that list like UNC, Duke, Cal-Berkeley, Virginia, GA Tech, and U of Texas that would be more attractive than Minnesota to those blue chips recruits from milder climatic areas who really care about academics.

True words all the way. The problem is this is what is sold already and the better recruits are not in agreement with your list and are buying what others are selling. Way better atmosphere, only fame in town, way cooler big time stadiums, winning, community that cares only about your program, better academic ranked schools in some cases. It can only turn if you have the right coach to turn 2-3 stars into 3-4 stars, redshirts, great staff, huge booster support. Jury is out but i think Fleck is the right guy. He has a great eye for talent, i like the young guys. It is much harder in football and people give Pitino a pass after 5 years amid epic failure and Fleck is not even done with year 2 ! He is sewing a culture and building recruiting relationships. It is a very tough job as proven by the mostly mediocre results over 50 years. The right coach has never been hired. Perhaps they got it right this time.

Top Bottom