Another Gopher great enters the coaching ranks as Rachel Banham signs on at Roseville

I wonder if she’s going to take an early retirement from playing basketball?

I wonder if she’s going to take an early retirement from playing basketball?

She talks about preserving her knees and wanting to be healthy for the WNBA. I hope she can follow the Whalen path and be successful next year and come home to the Lynx. Of course, her and Whalen eventually coaching @ the U would be amazing .

I believe shes on her last year of her rookie contract, so this upcoming year is a big one for her wnba career. Makes sense to stay home and prepare for it. Also who knows with the wnba players opting out, maybe salaries go up and shes a free agent at the perfect time.

“I really want to preserve my body,” said Banham, who was a five-year varsity starter at Lakeville North. “I have had multiple knee surgeries and I just can’t do a full season over there. It’s really hard on your body coming right back and going straight into the season. I really want to make it big in the WNBA so that’s my focus.”

Many people at the WNBA forum think the WNBA could fail because money is more important to the players than playing at home in the WNBA. This shows that notion’s not necessarily true with all players. Plus, big money sponsored players like Delle Donne and Diggins have never even played overseas.

As far as Banham’s WNBA team goes, she’s unlikely to start as long as Jasmine Thomas keeps playing there. I’m not sure how much Reeve values Banham. I know Roger Griffith was interested her rookie season, but she’s been having nearly continuous injury issues, so she’d be a risk to another team. Some people aren’t built for taking that kind of pounding on the joints.

I expect Reeve has her sights on Bell with one of her many second round picks. Bell emulates Danielle Robinson, who is the current lead PG for the Lynx now that Whalen is gone. Reeve really likes DRob for some reason.

Last edited:

Top Bottom