The Athletic Q&A: Whalen on Her Coaching Style

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://theathletic.com/644125/2018...ers-coach-style-philosophy-lynx-cheryl-reeve/

Q&A with Sloane Marting:

What is something that’s unacceptable to you from a basketball perspective? Something that grinds your gears.

Right off the bat, as a point guard, not remembering after-timeout plays. Forgetting a play that I just drew up. That was one of Coach (Thibault’s) non-negotiables. If you did that, you were basically coming out. And whether you’re in or not, pay attention to the play, because if you get subbed in, we still need to run that play. You have to know what to do even if you’re not one of the five that’s directly, you know, one, two, three, four, five. So, that one, and then it just drives me crazy when we have a great defensive possession and we give up and offensive rebound, and it’s just like hustle plays like that. If we see a loose ball and we don’t go get it.

Those are things that are basically just focus and toughness right off the bat. Times when we’re not being tough, the toughest team on the court, I don’t want to have that, and I don’t want to have times when we’re not focused and we’re not able to remember a play that we just drew up. I’m sure there’ll be more.

You mentioned wanting to work on the areas you need to get better. What are those?

Here’s the thing. So, I feel like offensively, I’m a pretty good teacher. I think just getting to the point where I know what I know and I know what I want to see. Now it’s becoming a teacher of the game. And I’ve never had to do it before, so every rep I have in practice I’m getting better.

Top Bottom