STrib: The best Minnesota players in college basketball who aren't Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Five who got away

Here’s a potential starting five of Minnesota natives who left the state to star around the country:

McKinley Wright, Colorado: The Champlin Park guard was a steal for the Buffaloes, and last year became arguably the best freshman guard there since Chauncey Billups, averaging 14.2 points and 5.5 assists.

Tre Jones, Duke: Just like his older brother, Tyus, the former Apple Valley star will be a freshman point guard running the show as the Blue Devils contend for the national title.

Brad Davison, Wisconsin: Not the most athletic kid in the world, but Davison’s toughness and shot-making ability earned him a spot on the Big Ten all-freshman team last year. The 6-3 guard is making Maple Grove proud.

Jericho Sims, Texas: The Minneapolis-based Cristo Rey Jesuit alum struggled with only five points in Texas’ opening victory, but the 6-9 sophomore has the potential to be an NBA draft pick if he learns to stay aggressive.

Reid Travis, Kentucky: DeLaSalle’s finest could have been the Pac-12 preseason player of the year, but the 6-8 senior forward left to chase an NCAA title and NBA dreams in Lexington as a grad transfer.

http://www.startribune.com/the-best...lege-basketball-who-aren-t-gophers/499999611/

Go Gophers!!

What is the point outside of rubbing it in that some good players have gone out state. He could have just gone over the success of these players instead of claiming they would be starters.

How many of these players do you think would actually start in place of any current Gophers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t much care what these 5 guys are doing. �� Go Gophers!

Who are the five best players from California that aren't at UCLA?

Exactly. People should see the talent of kids that leave the state of Indiana, Virginia, Illinois, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, S. Carolina, North Carolina,Pennsylvania,N.Y., New Jersey. It makes that Minnesota team look like a bad team at the YMCA.

per Marcus:

Five who got away

Here’s a potential starting five of Minnesota natives who left the state to star around the country:

Brad Davison, Wisconsin: Not the most athletic kid in the world, but Davison’s toughness and shot-making ability earned him a spot on the Big Ten all-freshman team last year. The 6-3 guard is making Maple Grove proud.

Translation: His clutching, grabbing and especially his tripping skills are elite!

Translation: His clutching, grabbing and especially his tripping skills are elite!

So funny! I’m feeling much better about PG with Washington progressing nicely and Carr waiting in the wings. Easy to forget about Davison and even Wright, who is the better of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the point outside of rubbing it in that some good players have gone out state. He could have just gone over the success of these players instead of claiming they would be starters.

How many of these players do you think would actually start in place of any current Gophers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least four of them. Reid would definitely start over Oturu and Wright, Davison and Tre would almost certainly push Gabe out of the starting lineup. Too early to say on Sims if he'd start at the 5 for us or not.

So funny! I’m feeling much better about PG with Washington progressing nicely and Carr waiting in the wings. Easy to forget about Davison and even Wright, who is the better of the two.

Do you think Davison is a really good player ? Who do you think will win more games in their career Davison or Washington ?

Do you think Davison is a really good player ? Who do you think will win more games in their career Davison or Washington ?

I haven’t watched him enough (only saw a couple of his games last year). He impressed me as a guy who is not very athletic or Uber-talented who beats you with his smarts and sheer determination. Also the sort of player you hate when you have to face him. I’ll take Washington over Davison. Not sure I would have said that last year. I say Washington wins more games this year.

Who do you think wins more ncaa games Davidson or brad calipari?...get real man

What flawed measuring device are they using to claim Davison is 6’3”?

Davidson went to the only college system where he could truly excel. I don't think he would be as good anywhere else except maybe Virginia.

Wright is the one to compare to Washington if anyone. And Colorado didn't have Nate Mason last year.

I can think of other Minnesotans not mentioned here who haven't done as much as these guys, did Marcus just hand pick the cherries?

Sick of these articles. Hope no one is actually clicking on it.

Easy to point to 2 of the highest rated in state products over the last decade+ and say they would be starters if they stayed home. But those caliber of players often don’t stay in state.

I’m not ready to judge the IW, Davison, Wright carousel yet, but I don’t think IW will end up being the least of these players when it’s all said and done. IW still has the highest ceiling in my mind.

Sims is athletic as hell, but the Texas media is much more tempered than Marcus. Excited about him, but noting he is raw.
https://www.hookem.com/story/curtain-rises-quiet-jericho-sims-finds-texas-mens-basketball-spotlight/

Geez I was hoping the hatred for Brad Davison would have been stronger. I suspect it would have been if he didn't play out of position and with just one arm last year.

I'd take Washington over Davison as well.

And not to beat a dead horse, but would have Wright over both of them.

Some feel Brad could only succeed at UW or UVA. Well he never got a UVA offer. But there were 8 other power 5 coaches who wanted him including Richard Pitino. He had a damn strong freshman year and played while hurt. Plays smart too, competes every second , has leadership qualities and is strong as a bull. Watching who finishes higher in the conference between UW and the Gophers this year will be fascinating.

2014 - Kevon Looney - UCLA, Sandy Cohen - Marquette, Riley LaChance - Vanderbilt, Lamonte Bearden - Buffalo
2015 - Diamond Stone - Maryland, Henry Elleson - Marquette, Brevin Pritzl - wisconsin, Matt Heldt - Marquette
2016 - Sam Houser - Marquette, Kostan Antetokounmpo - Dayton, Te'Jon Lucas - Illinois, Juwan McCloud - UNI
2017 - Terrence Lewis - Iowa State, Kobe King - wisconsin, Philip Flory - Albany
2018 - Tyler Herro - Kentucky, Joey Hauser - Marquette, Jordan McCabe - West VA, Tyrese Haliburton - Iowa State

In the past 5 cycles, Wisconsin has gotten 2 of the top 4 in the state with all of them signing D1.

Where is that article?

For comparison:

2018 - Tre Jones - Duke, Oturu - Minnesota, Omersa - Minnesota, Gabe - Minnesota
2017 - Jericho Sim - Texas, Reuvers - wisconsin, Davison - wisconsin, Race Thompson - IU
2016 - Coffey - Minnesota, Hurt - Minnesota, Brock Bertram - Buffalo, Reed Nikko - Mizzou
2015 - Illikainen - wisconsin, Jarvis Johnson - Minnesota, Sacar Anim - Marquette, Justin Dahl - UNI
2014 - Tyus, Reid and Macura all went elsewhere

So...our 2018 class had more Minnesota student/athletes go to The "U" than wisoncin u kept from their own state players in the past 5 years combined (top 4 ranked players in each state from 247)

I'd take Washington over Davison as well.

And not to beat a dead horse, but would have Wright over both of them.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but Wright was set to commit to the Gophers and then Washington committed on his official visit, taking that spot. That's not Pitino's fault when you only have 2 scholarships available. That said, I'm thrilled McKinley is succeeding at his school, it's a great fit for him. He would've been great for the Gophers too, but he sat on the toilet too long.

I feel for players who fail to act and end up at schools with less prestige than a B1G school because they wait to see if something better comes along. There is a reason why McKinley didn't commit here and we will never know why.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but Wright was set to commit to the Gophers and then Washington committed on his official visit, taking that spot. That's not Pitino's fault when you only have 2 scholarships available. That said, I'm thrilled McKinley is succeeding at his school, it's a great fit for him. He would've been great for the Gophers too, but he sat on the toilet too long.

Never said it was Pitino's fault, and most people know that your account is accurate.

Just stated an opinion on McKinley as a player.

Some feel Brad could only succeed at UW or UVA. Well he never got a UVA offer. But there were 8 other power 5 coaches who wanted him including Richard Pitino. He had a damn strong freshman year and played while hurt. Plays smart too, competes every second , has leadership qualities and is strong as a bull. Watching who finishes higher in the conference between UW and the Gophers this year will be fascinating.

Richard Pitino absolutely did not want him lol. He didn't talk to him for a year (Brad is literally quoted as saying this), and basically extended a courtesy offer to try and appease AAU / local folks.

Yeah, because IW and Davison will be the only reason why the teams finish where they do. Do you go on UW and UVA message boards and constantly talk about the Gophers? Davison is a good player, but who cares about him? We have IW and he is a Gopher and wanted to be a Gopher.

Richard Pitino absolutely did not want him lol. He didn't talk to him for a year (Brad is literally quoted as saying this), and basically extended a courtesy offer to try and appease AAU / local folks.

Davison will be a nice player at Wisconsin. Mckinley will be nice player at Colorado. Washington, Carr, and Kalscheur will be very good too next 3 years. Looking at the glass half full, if our guys play the way I think they will next 3 years, they should be just as good if not better than those 2 guys.

Sims will be a nice player at Texas. He hasn't started his career going gangbusters or anything at texas. Hopefully he will eventually. I feel like i already have that player on my roster with Omersa. Will Sims be that much better in his career than Omersa? Maybe, but im putting my money on Omersa right now.

Reid Travis would have been a great get! People are saying that they would have him rather than Oturu. Travis has put up some great numbers the last 2 years. He's a monster. Now i fully expect Oturu to have those same numbers by his senior year too. Can't really compare the 2 because ones a 5th year senior and ones a freshman. Would have loved him here. He would of made us a great team.

Jones obviously would have also been a gamechanger! Would have changed alot around here. Would have been unbelievable to have him on our team. Unfortunately, he went to Duke, but i still like what we have at the guard position next 4 years.

Would have been really nice to get Travis and Jones obviously, but i dont feel the other guys with who we have on our roster are huge misses!

Pretty stupid to evaluate one player based on the success of his team...lets see who gets paid more to play when the amateur hour is over

Pretty stupid to evaluate one player based on the success of his team...lets see who gets paid more to play when the amateur hour is over

Of all the stupid things you've written on this board...well...this is one of them.

Top Bottom