Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I can't recall why Claeys was fired anymore.

Perhaps we should have kept him and the 9* and 4 seasons annually.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Are you for real? You are now justifying our lose at IL? Not as good as GWG’s posts explaining Purdue’s success away by age and completely abandoning the Talent Ranking drum he beat so hard last year - but still a true smh moment.

Never change FtF. You are precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you got a kick out of that one.
    Tongue only half in cheek on that.

Losing to Illinois = embarrassing

Separate item = Having veteran players can help you win.
    Separate item = Gophers seem to play better at home than road so far but that could change this weekend.

No need to draw massive conclusions that I'm justifying a loss.
    Good thing is it was only one loss that hopefully soon will be forgotten.
    If not, in 3 years we'll have a new head coach who I'll either like more or dislike more.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    It's absolutely nothing like your example.
    It's like a secretary who does a good job but then gets fired because she won't take a bribe. Tracy was right to stand by his players, what more proof do you need? The President who threw him under the bus was run out of town. The head of the EOAA was run out of town.
    Tracy Claeys was right to stand by his players, the fact that you think standing up for what is right makes someone a "really really bad leader" says quite a bit about you.

As far as football, yeah, we agreed on something. He did a much better job than Fleck, so far.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by EdinaHornet View Post
    I think Frank Solich is a perfect fit here. What he does could work here and wouldnt have the nebraska pressure.
    Or Craig Bohl for that matter. Former DC at Nebraska, so knew the Big 8 well enough at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    It's absolutely nothing like your example.
    It's like a secretary who does a good job but then gets fired because she won't take a bribe. Tracy was right to stand by his players, what more proof do you need? The President who threw him under the bus was run out of town. The head of the EOAA was run out of town.
    Tracy Claeys was right to stand by his players, the fact that you think standing up for what is right makes someone a "really really bad leader" says quite a bit about you.

As far as football, yeah, we agreed on something. He did a much better job than Fleck, so far.
    Have you ever seen Game of Thrones? You're like Ned Stark. There's a reason he ends up dead in the first five episodes.
    Standing up for what is right strategically and doing what Claeys did are not the same thing.
    Claeys could have supported his players. Instead he took a brash and very public stand against his own boss and lost his job because of it.
    There was a right and a wrong way to handle that situation. Claeys choose the wrong way.

Claeys was an insider. He could have worked with Coyle to figure out what the hell was going on and tried to protect his players from the right side of the fence.
    Instead, he Tweeted, that was absolutely the least tactful thing he could have done and he helped no one by doing it.
    He lost his job and his players ended up getting smeared by local media.

That was't standing up for what is right, that's being a complete f*ing moron.
    Last edited by hello-world; 11-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    Have you ever seen Game of Thrones? You're like Ned Stark. There's a reason he ends up dead in the first five episodes.
    Standing up for what is right strategically and doing what Claeys did are not the same thing.
    Claeys could have supported his players. Instead he took a brash and very public stand against his own boss and lost his job because of it.
    There was a right and a wrong way to handle that situation. Claeys choose the wrong way.

Claeys was an insider. He could have worked with Coyle to figure out what the hell was going on and tried to protect his players from the right side of the fence.
    Instead, he Tweeted, that was absolutely the least tactful thing he could have done and he helped no one by doing it.

Absolutely incorrect, and completely ignoring the Title IX culture and politically correct weasels that were in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Berreman:

5. Tracy Claeys, Washington St. Defensive Coordinator

Claeys’ tenure as head coach at Minnesota ended badly and oddly, as he supported Gophers’ players who were accused of sexual assault and threatened to boycott a bowl game in 2016.
    The players who threatened to boycott were NOT the players who were accused of sexual assault. That sentence is as awkward and ill-advised as Tracy’s tweet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Gopher View Post
    I'd also think that Claeys might be happier as a DC anyways. Wazzu seems like a perfect spot for him- out of the limelight, plenty of autonomy to run the defense as he sees fit (with Leach's hands off approach), etc
    They farm wheat up in Washington State. That was all it took to convince him it is like Kansas.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

You almost had me until you suggest he could have “worked with Coyle”. You seem to have missed the role that MC had. He handled things worse than anyone else and he was gonna make sure someone else took the fall. How could have TC “worked with” Coyle? He would have had better cooperation from Satan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    Actually it does. You don't have to believe it but Tracy will never be a P5 head coach again. He'll make good money being a successful defensive coordinator for the rest of his career. Maybe he could even end up in the NFL as a defensive coordinator.
    You make this statement with such strong conviction, but in fact you have no idea what the future will bring. Oops, I get it now. You used to be a weather forecaster, predict whatever you want and get it right/wrong about 50% of the time with zero recourse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    Woah. He beat Illinois? Man, they're a juggernaut.
    And how did we look against that juggernaut this year?

Blog Entries

He got fired due to poor recruiting, awful ticket sales, and a scandal that spun out of control right under his nose.
    That's not a "good job." He failed at everything except for football. It's like hiring a secretary that keeps the office in order, but turns around and embezzles all your money.

Keeping the office in order might be their core function, but when they **** up everything else then they're not still a good secretary.

I do think Tracy deserves another chance somewhere, but he needs a ton of grooming and someone to hold his hand while he figures out the whole 'leadership' aspect of coaching.

He's a good strategist and a really really bad leader.
    He didn't even have time for us to see what kind of recruiter he was, not to mention that piddly contract he was given, it made damn sure that recruits knew the administration was not behind him. The scandal you mention only spun out of control because Coyle made sure it did to give him an excuse to fire him. Coyle is such a chicken **** piece of dung for the way he handled that episode.

I think Claey's would make Kansas a winner. That said If I were Claey's I would not take that job. Kansas is a coaching graveyard like Minnesota is.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

At some point, hopefully in the not too distant future, we will reach a point where we get to stop having these stupid pissing matches about Claeys and Fleck. It seems like most have moved on past Kill, I think the Rutgers thing was the last straw for a lot of people and allowed them to finally let go of Kill. Maybe Claeys taking another head coaching job and either failing or succeeding will be needed to finally get some people to move on past him.

Just wish I could get myself not to stop reading once the thread goes down that same stupid rabbit hole but I can never seem to bring myself to look away

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTXGopher View Post
    You make this statement with such strong conviction, but in fact you have no idea what the future will bring. Oops, I get it now. You used to be a weather forecaster, predict whatever you want and get it right/wrong about 50% of the time with zero recourse.
    Easiest prediction I’ll ever make