Kansas coaching search: Les Miles and 5 candidates (5. Tracy Claeys)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Berreman:

5. Tracy Claeys, Washington St. Defensive Coordinator

Claeys’ tenure as head coach at Minnesota ended badly and oddly, as he supported Gophers’ players who were accused of sexual assault and threatened to boycott a bowl game in 2016. Overall he seemed to be in over his head as a head coach after taking over for Jerry Kill, who he was an assistant under.

Under Mike Leach this year at Washington State, it’s safe to say Claeys has full autonomy as defensive coordinator. The Cougars are a top-10 team right now with an 8-1 record, and quarterback Gardner Minshew is leading the country in passing yards. But the defense is holding up its end, sitting in the top-50 of the country in total (23rd), passing (33rd), rushing (31st) and scoring defense (tied for 45th) along with 27 sacks (tied for 14th in the country).

Claeys is a Kansas native (though he’s a Kansas State alum), with a past tie to the region as a coach when was under Kill as an assistant at Emporia State. Long probably has a list of bigger fish in mind, but Claeys may enter the conversation for head coaching jobs with a learning experience at Minnesota on his resume.

https://fansided.com/2018/11/06/kansas-coaching-search-les-miles-replace-david-beaty/

Go Gophers!!

That's just crazy talk. I don't think TC was on anyone's coaching search before Jerry quit suddenly. TC had some good games but that's hardly a resume for HC and for his part TC didn't handle the whole protest thing all that well either (even if I like how Coyle handled things even less).

I'd also think that Claeys might be happier as a DC anyways. Wazzu seems like a perfect spot for him- out of the limelight, plenty of autonomy to run the defense as he sees fit (with Leach's hands off approach), etc

I'd also think that Claeys might be happier as a DC anyways. Wazzu seems like a perfect spot for him- out of the limelight, plenty of autonomy to run the defense as he sees fit (with Leach's hands off approach), etc

Yeah I'm sure TC would like the idea of being a HC.... I would too... but like TC i'm not sure i'd like it longer term.

DC is TC's calling... dude should do the thing he is good at and stay away from the peter principal.

I think Frank Solich is a perfect fit here. What he does could work here and wouldnt have the nebraska pressure.

CBS includes former Gophers OC as a candidate:

8. Jedd Fisch, Rams offensive analyst: Jim Harbaugh's former quarterback coach would be a steal. Fisch's representatives are in the process of pushing him as a branch to the coaching trees of Harbaugh, Sean McVay and Pete Carroll. Fisch has a handsome offensive resume. Long has already said he's looking for head coaching experience, so this may be a longshot.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...en-lead-list-of-replacements-for-david-beaty/

Go Gophers!!

Yeah I'm sure TC would like the idea of being a HC.... I would too... but like TC i'm not sure i'd like it longer term.

DC is TC's calling... dude should do the thing he is good at and stay away from the peter principal.

For the Peter Principle to be invoked, he'd have had to have failed.

The guy has been successful as a DC and was made a HC and went 9-4. You might want to re-read that book.

Our situation was so unique, I'm not entirely sure if Claeys would make a good HC. I do know that from all of the evidence, he did a nice job in the one season he was here. I know, I know, the 9 wins were easy. But his successor has a total of 9 wins in two seasons (3 Big 10 wins compared to the 5 in 2016).

For the Peter Principle to be invoked, he'd have had to have failed.

The guy has been successful as a DC and was made a HC and went 9-4. You might want to re-read that book.

Our situation was so unique, I'm not entirely sure if Claeys would make a good HC. I do know that from all of the evidence, he did a nice job in the one season he was here. I know, I know, the 9 wins were easy. But his successor has a total of 9 wins in two seasons (3 Big 10 wins compared to the 5 in 2016).

Now you started it....There will be some hardcore posters that take offense to this.

Last edited:

I am so sick and tired of people saying Tracy Claeys was not head coaching material and the best he can do in life is as a defensive coordinator. I am sorry but words don't meld with the facts. Yes, Tracy was still learning how to be fully charge on game day and that debacle against Michigan was unfortunate, but its better than losing 55-17 which would surely happen this year.

I am so sick and tired of people saying Tracy Claeys was not head coaching material and the best he can do in life is as a defensive coordinator. I am sorry but words don't meld with the facts. Yes, Tracy was still learning how to be fully charge on game day and that debacle against Michigan was unfortunate, but its better than losing 55-17 which would surely happen this year.

Saying Claeys is best suited to be a DC should not be seen a slight to him at all but some still see it that way. I could be reading him totally wrong but he never came across as someone who has that need for the spotlight like most head coaches do. He is a heck of a football coach and a very very good defensive coordinator.

WSU is a perfect spot for him. Leach draws all the attention so Claeys can just do what he does best and that is coach without having to worry about all the other stuff. Could be totally wrong but I will not be surprised one bit if he is never a head coach again. He can make a lot of money doing what he loves to do as a career coordinator and for TC I would bet that is just fine with him.

Not every coach aspires to be a head coach.

there is no blueprint or template for being a head coach. Head coaches have different approaches, philosophies, personalities, etc.

So, to say that Claeys could not be a head coach is, I think, a misstatement. If you want to say he shouldn't be a head coach, that's a valid opinion.

but, ultimately, it gets down to what Claeys wants. For all we know, the MN experience left a bad taste in his mouth, and he truly has no desire to ever be a head coach again. OR, he really wants another chance to show that he could do things better/differently.

If Claeys ever does get a HC job, he will need to adjust some things. Like it or not, media work is part of the job, and Claeys could improve in that area.

1. Neal Brown, Troy Head Coach

Brown has built things quickly at Troy, with 10 wins in 2016, 11 wins last year and a 7-2 mark so far this year with three regular season games and a bowl game to go. He is a candidate to make the jump to a Power 5 school, but three straight 10-plus win seasons and a second Sun Belt title might seal his departure as schools step over each other to interview him. And before you dismiss his success as a mere product of being in a small conference, the Trojans upset LSU in 2017 and beat Nebraska this year.

Brown came back to Troy as head coach after being quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at Kentucky (2013-14) and Texas Tech (2010-2012). So he’s got proverbial “big school” experience, and the offenses at Texas Tech and Kentucky both improved steadily under his guidance. He was wide receivers coach (2006-2007), then offensive coordinator (2008-2009) at Troy before he left for Texas Tech.

There’s a pretty big difference between building a solid program at Troy and doing the same at Kansas, even with the idea of having more resources. But Brown is young (38) with a solid resume, and he’s offensive-minded.

Brown may have some eye on getting a better job at a bigger school, now or in another year or two, and he wouldn’t be blamed for that. But if Long sticks to the profile he offered, Kansas’ interest in one of the top Group of 5 head coaches out there should be a no-brainer.

& Jay Johnson as his OC....was a GA and then offensive position coach at KU in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I hear Sawvel is available.

Get the band back together:clap:

edit: replaced words with KU

Last edited:

Good luck to Coach Claeys.
I hope he gets whichever position he seeks.

Actually it does. You don't have to believe it but Tracy will never be a P5 head coach again. He'll make good money being a successful defensive coordinator for the rest of his career. Maybe he could even end up in the NFL as a defensive coordinator.

At the end of the day, people who know him say he has no desire to be a HC. I don't think he ever really wanted to be the HC here. He took on the role because his best buddy had to quit and he felt loyalty to the rest of the staff. If he truly is the HC material you think he is and aspires to it, surely he'll end up with a HC job, right?

You are so spot on. I just love reading GWG and other posters here who could just tell he had hit his ceiling with the 9* win season. Not only was that 9* wins unimpressive, but he is also blamed by the same posters for the CF that is 2018. Quite an impact he had in 1.5 seasons at the helm. Not to mention that he didn’t “look like a HC” and bundled up on cold days. Surprised he could find work anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are so spot on. I just love reading GWG and other posters here who could just tell he had hit his ceiling with the 9* win season. Not only was that 9* wins unimpressive, but he is also blamed by the same posters for the CF that is 2018. Quite an impact he had in 1.5 seasons at the helm. Not to mention that he didn’t “look like a HC” and bundled up on cold days. Surprised he could find work anywhere.

As always you will believe whatever you want in your fantasy world. Unfortunately it's almost always far from reality.

I would love to see him get the Kansas job. PJ would ear his lunch (no pud intended) on EVERY single recruiting battle. Maybe we could start seeing an influx of West Coast players.

Maybe Claeys gets the Kansas job and we can see how he handles it.

It's not apples to apples of course because that's a tough place to turn around a program.

I would love to see him get the Kansas job. PJ would ear his lunch (no pud intended) on EVERY single recruiting battle. Maybe we could start seeing an influx of West Coast players.

Even PJ says, "He's not for everybody." Let's be real.

FWIW, there's a defensive WSU commit that we wanted and didn't get. Obviously, there are lots of other factors in play, but seriously "EVERY single" battle.:rolleyes:https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Travion-Brown-110245/RecruitInterests/

edit: added link

What's more likely to happen, Claeys getting a head coaching job, or Fleck competing for National Championships?
I'll hang up and listen.

What's more likely to happen, Claeys getting a head coaching job, or Fleck competing for National Championships?
I'll hang up and listen.

Great question.:clap: Can I take the gophers giving up 45+ this week again instead?

Top Bottom