Zulgad: Feeling the pressure: Just how hot is Richard Pitino’s seat?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Minnesota opened its season on Tuesday with a 104-76 victory over Nebraska-Omaha before an announced crowd of 8,883 at Williams Arena. Coffey, now playing point guard, had 18 points; McBrayer 17; and Jordan Murphy added 12 points and 10 rebounds. Freshmen Daniel Oturu, who attended high school at Cretin-Derham Hall, and Gabe Kalscheur, who went to DeLaSalle, both started. Oturu finished with 14 points and eight rebounds and Kalscheur eight points.

It’s going to take a lot more convincing than one easy non-conference victory for the Gophers’ fan base to buy back in. Curry already is out again for four to six weeks after requiring further surgery on his knee.

The Gophers have six games remaining in November and only Monday’s against Utah will be played at Williams Arena. The Nov. 30 game against Oklahoma State will be at U.S. Bank Stadium, so it also will serve as a home game, but that’s still different from a year ago when the Gophers played five of their eight November games at the Barn.

Even then, Minnesota learned a hot start provides no assurance of success — the Gophers were 7-0 and ranked 12th when they lost by five points to No. 10 Miami at Williams Arena last November in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge — but it could help take some of the pressure off Pitino and his program.

Otherwise, we might begin to find out just how patient Coyle is willing to be with one of his most important programs.

http://www.1500espn.com/news/2018/11/zulgad-feeling-pressure-just-hot-richard-pitinos-seat/

Go Gophers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any axe to grind with Zulgad, but this seems like the easy, lazy take. A more intrepid reporter could have filed a story pointing out just the opposite.

I suppose someone can blame Pitino at least a bit for Lynch's alleged predilection toward assaulting women. But I don't think he took a baseball bat and injured Curry, Coffey and Mason, and the loss or physical limitations of those four guys was the story last year.

JTG

Top Bottom